Social Visas for extended periods of time

Firstly wanted to thank all of the regular contributors to this forum. In the short time that I have been reading it, it has proved an invaluable resource.

Our family (2 adults and 2 kids- 8 and 6) are looking to spend 6-7 months in Bali for the second half of next year. We are looking to have our kids attend one of the international schools whilst there. I run my own company here in Sydney, and will just be remotely managing things from Bali, but not actually working locally

I have read through a number of posts with regards to visa requirement, and wanted to minimise any duplicate questions I might be re-asking this community.

From what I have read, the Social Visa looks to be the best option as we will be wanting to stay for 6-7 months whilst our kids attend school from July to December. What I am a little uncertain about is if we wanted to take any side trips after we arrive in Bali. From what I understand the Social Visa is more of a single entry/exit that can be extended whilst in the country, but not used for multiple re-entry.

I am also a little confused how the application process would work for a Social Visa. If I need to shoe them my return ticket that is for 6months down the track, how will they be happy issuing me an initial 2 month visa?

Also- are there companies locally in Sydney and/or Bali that can handle the entire application and monthly extension process? Would be happy to pay something nominal to know that this is being handled correctly. If any one can recommend a reputable company it would be most appreciated.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Just further to my previous post, I am also curious about the standard visit visa that seems to also be available for an initial 60 days and then extendable.

If anyone else has info on this type of visa as well it would be most appreciated.

A few things here to discuss.

In recent years it was possible for children of foreign parents to attend local private and international schools on Bali with a sosbud visa.  That is changing, in that the requirement is, or will be, a KITAS (temporary residence) visa.  Check with the international school you intend to have your kids attend.   

For long, but temporary stays in Indonesia these days, the typical visa is a simple 60 day visit visa which is renewable here at any immigration office for up to four times, each time good for another 30 days, which amounts to a total stay of 180 days. 

A return flight ticket valid anytime within your intended total stay will be fine, as your visa application will include your indication of how long you plan to visit Indonesia. 

As for visa agents on Bali, just do a simple Google search.

Thanks so much for that- really appreciate the feedback.

Ubudian wrote:

A few things here to discuss.

In recent years it was possible for children of foreign parents to attend local private and international schools on Bali with a sosbud visa.  That is changing, in that the requirement is, or will be, a KITAS (temporary residence) visa.  Check with the international school you intend to have your kids attend.   

For long, but temporary stays in Indonesia these days, the typical visa is a simple 60 day visit visa which is renewable here at any immigration office for up to four times, each time good for another 30 days, which amounts to a total stay of 180 days. 

A return flight ticket valid anytime within your intended total stay will be fine, as your visa application will include your indication of how long you plan to visit Indonesia. 

As for visa agents on Bali, just do a simple Google search.

Roy, that is an interesting issue if the kids will need a KITAS to attend the school, how can they get if parents are on a visit visa ??

They will be sponsored by the school (Student visa) ??

I did contact the Australian International School in Bali, and they did say that we could be on a social visa for our stay there if we wanted.

They would only sponsor us for a KITAS if we were staying for the full year and prepaying for the entire year's school fees.

tcollins wrote:

I did contact the Australian International School in Bali, and they did say that we could be on a social visa for our stay there if we wanted.

They would only sponsor us for a KITAS if we were staying for the full year and prepaying for the entire year's school fees.

I may would check other sources as well to assure the infos from the Australian school is correct.

Roy is on top with infos in regards of visa issues, also your plan of schooling your kids is in 2015 (1 year ahead), so it might be correct that there is a new regulation that KITAS for kids are required.

Also what do you exactly mean when they say...."they would only sponsor us for a KITAS if we were staying for the full year"

The school can not sponsor the parents to my knowledge.

Sorry for the confusion on my previous post.

I was referring to the school sponsoring KITAS for our kids to study at the school.

As it is a lengthy and involved process, they have said that they only do it for people that will be attending the school for a minimum of 1 full school year.