Do i need a Thai driving licence? how to process Visa from France?

I am arriving in LOS in September2014 and will be staying for six months at Huahin.

Could anyone please advise me on the need to hold a Thai DL.  I am currently the holder of a French DL and still have a current British DL.  Any advice would be gratefully received, as was the "spot on" help that I received from this forum regarding The advice on Visas and application of same.

Regards.  Fletch.

Hello Fletch.

Kindly note that your thread is now on the Thailand Forum, so that members can best help you out.

While waiting for somebody to guide you, may i suggest you to browse through the section Cars and Transportation as well as Visas for Thailand to gather informations.

Regards
Kenjee

Note: Although International Driving Licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence.

But if you have a  International Driving Licences it is pretty "easy" to get a Thai driving licences.

It is recommended to phone in advance to check exactly what paperwork is required as it has been reported that different DLT offices have different requirements. The following paperwork is usually required by the DLT (with copies):

Passport with valid non-immigrant visa (a tourist visa is not accepted)
Work Permit: if no work permit is held then a Certificate of Residence issued by the Thai Immigration Bureau or a Letter of Residence issued by the appropriate embassy will usually be sufficient, but telephone to confirm. The work permit must be valid and the letter or certificate no more than 30 days old
Medical certificate from a hospital or health clinic which must be no more than 30 days old
Two photographs, 1x1 inch, no more than six months old. In some offices photos are not required as they will be taken with DLT cameras as part of the process
Valid international or foreign driving licence. A foreign driving licence must have a certified translation issued by the Embassy. Foreign driving licenses in the English language will sometimes be accepted with no translation necessary
Fee
The whole process can take a few hours to complete depending on the office and the number of people applying. The forms have to be completed in Thai, so non Thai-speakers should take along a Thai speaker for interpretation and to help fill in the forms (some DLT offices have English-speaking staff that can help, such as the Chatuchak office where the whole process can be undertaken in English).

Applicants will be required to:
Fill in the licence application form
Hand in the application
Participate in an eyesight test
Participate in a reaction test
Once all the formalities have been completed a Thai driving licence, valid for one year, is issued. After this period the person will need to renew their licence and can apply for a licence that is valid for five years.

Fletch in France wrote:

I am arriving in LOS in September2014 and will be staying for six months at Huahin.

Could anyone please advise me on the need to hold a Thai DL.  I am currently the holder of a French DL and still have a current British DL.  Any advice would be gratefully received, as was the "spot on" help that I received from this forum regarding The advice on Visas and application of same.

Regards.  Fletch.

You will not normally get a Thai licence on a tourist visa. Plus there is the hassle of applying. Easy for us residents but not for you.

Given your length of stay an International Driving Permit(IDP) valid for Thailand obtained in France or the UK is recommended along with your national licence either British or French depending where you get your IDP.

You might like to read this article on obtaining a Thai Drivers licence.

Never done that wrote:

Note: Although International Driving Licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence.

But if you have a  International Driving Licences it is pretty "easy" to get a Thai driving licences.

It is recommended to phone in advance to check exactly what paperwork is required as it has been reported that different DLT offices have different requirements. The following paperwork is usually required by the DLT (with copies):

Passport with valid non-immigrant visa (a tourist visa is not accepted)
Work Permit: if no work permit is held then a Certificate of Residence issued by the Thai Immigration Bureau or a Letter of Residence issued by the appropriate embassy will usually be sufficient, but telephone to confirm. The work permit must be valid and the letter or certificate no more than 30 days old
Medical certificate from a hospital or health clinic which must be no more than 30 days old
Two photographs, 1x1 inch, no more than six months old. In some offices photos are not required as they will be taken with DLT cameras as part of the process
Valid international or foreign driving licence. A foreign driving licence must have a certified translation issued by the Embassy. Foreign driving licenses in the English language will sometimes be accepted with no translation necessary
Fee
The whole process can take a few hours to complete depending on the office and the number of people applying. The forms have to be completed in Thai, so non Thai-speakers should take along a Thai speaker for interpretation and to help fill in the forms (some DLT offices have English-speaking staff that can help, such as the Chatuchak office where the whole process can be undertaken in English).

Applicants will be required to:
Fill in the licence application form
Hand in the application
Participate in an eyesight test
Participate in a reaction test
Once all the formalities have been completed a Thai driving licence, valid for one year, is issued. After this period the person will need to renew their licence and can apply for a licence that is valid for five years.

Not like you to do a copy and paste ;-)

The bit about photographs is way out of date since all the offices have a machine which produces a photo ID card licence. They take your pic in the office.

It also does not mention the computer based theory test. Required whether you hold a licence or not. Some offices also require you to watch a Thai road safety movie.

Within the last two months a new Thai driving test has been introduced including different multi-choice questions for the theory test.

thetefldon i know about the pictures, But better to have them with you, then not and they ask for them.
For my self the ask for pictures to put with my paper, then take digital pictures for my 2 driving licence.

As i understand the new rules it is for first time people get the driving licence that NEVER have one before , and NOT for us that have them all ready. That why International Driving Licences is good to have, then you don´t need to pass the test again.

computer based theory test. i never did it, or any of my friends.
2 of them have gotten there Driving Licences after the new rules, that why i know (Think) it is only first time people that need to do so.

But i do know, other place might be other rules, as this is Thailand, and we all know that Thai people at office see the rules a little different from time to time. he he

If he stay 6 month here, then he need to check insurance as many don´t cover more the max 3 month at one time.
So better check to be 100% sure.

Based on this thread, would you all say that the Chatuchak DLT is most convenient for expats who cannot read/write Thai? I can read and write a little bit, but formal documents are way over my head. My other option is the Bangkhuntien DLT, which is closer to me as I am in Thon Buri.