International school question

i was offered a job in a tefl school in athens.

the school seems legit and they impressed me although they were very forward. upon asking for a contract, i was told yes, we will send it, one day later, they said, look at flights and we will send the contract between 22-27th of this month. this already sounds weird. expect us to book flights but not give us a contract. odd. not something anyone i know would be naive enough to do. I asked for this quicker. they said ok but never sent it over.

they say they provide apartment but take 500e out wages for it. ok. they said photos of apartment wouldnt be ready til the last day of august. more alarm bells. would you book flights without a contract and without seeing where you'd live? i explain what type of apartment i'd like as little suggestion, and asked for photos of the apartment sooner. the next email they rescinded the job offer and stated it is too much of a risk for them to take a teacher who might not like the apartment "2months from now". i explained to them over the interview, and in emails i'd commit for 2 years as i'm looking to settle. I wouldn't have left them during contract as it isn't something i do.

i emailed trying to explain what i asked was normal, i still wanted to be part of their team, prepared to work hard and various other nice bits. again, no. because i asked for photos of the flat and theyre worried i might not like it. so, no job in case i don't like the apartment. good luck, though. how ridiculous does this sound?

alarm bells everywhere.

can anyone tell me if this is normal behaviour? or is this erratic, crazy and downright unusual behaviour? was this a scam of some sort? they didnt ask for any details, but their behaviour has given me a shock.

i have been offered many jobs in my life, but nothing has panned out as disappointing, erratic and suspicious as this.

dieterhans wrote:

i was offered a job in a tefl school in athens.

the school seems legit and they impressed me although they were very forward. upon asking for a contract, i was told yes, we will send it, one day later, they said, look at flights and we will send the contract between 22-27th of this month. this already sounds weird. expect us to book flights but not give us a contract. odd. not something anyone i know would be naive enough to do. I asked for this quicker. they said ok but never sent it over.

they say they provide apartment but take 500e out wages for it. ok. they said photos of apartment wouldnt be ready til the last day of august. more alarm bells. would you book flights without a contract and without seeing where you'd live? i explain what type of apartment i'd like as little suggestion, and asked for photos of the apartment sooner. the next email they rescinded the job offer and stated it is too much of a risk for them to take a teacher who might not like the apartment "2months from now". i explained to them over the interview, and in emails i'd commit for 2 years as i'm looking to settle. I wouldn't have left them during contract as it isn't something i do.

i emailed trying to explain what i asked was normal, i still wanted to be part of their team, prepared to work hard and various other nice bits. again, no. because i asked for photos of the flat and theyre worried i might not like it. so, no job in case i don't like the apartment. good luck, though. how ridiculous does this sound?

alarm bells everywhere.

can anyone tell me if this is normal behaviour? or is this erratic, crazy and downright unusual behaviour? was this a scam of some sort? they didnt ask for any details, but their behaviour has given me a shock.

i have been offered many jobs in my life, but nothing has panned out as disappointing, erratic and suspicious as this.

Welcome to the forum
Your unfortunate experience sounds like a scam to me and perhaps to other forum members.

Here jobs are few and employers feel we owe them favour for being hired and have no other demands than to be paid. However, I wouldnt continue with an employer who would not keep his word about any matter. I wouldnt book any ticket before contract. I am glad they didnt take you because I think you saved yourself from trouble.

Hi EiriniSwinder,

This thread is an old one. The initial poster has not connected for the past 2 years.

Thanks your feedbacks and feel free to participate on more recent threads of the Athens forum.

All the best,
Bhavna

[Topic Closed - Old thread]

Closed