Having a baby in costa rica???

my husband and i are american and living in estrada. we have been here for almost a year, have started a business, and are thinking of starting a family. does anyone know the best way to go about getting health insurance to cover the pregnancy? we do not have full or partial residency. also any other advice in regards to childbirth in costa rica is appreciated! looking forward to comments! -bpeters

you could look into travel insurance.
Once the baby is born (he/she will be a Costa Rican citizen), both mother and baby will be covered by the caja system (for I think 5 years).

thanks julie! i'll look into it.

bpeters wrote:

my husband and i are american and living in estrada. we have been here for almost a year, have started a business, and are thinking of starting a family. does anyone know the best way to go about getting health insurance to cover the pregnancy? we do not have full or partial residency. also any other advice in regards to childbirth in costa rica is appreciated! looking forward to comments! -bpeters

Pregnancy is 100% covered by Costa Rica with or without insurance.  However, if you choose to go to a private hospital, it is not covered, but still not super expensive.  $1,500 for the hospital, $2,000 for the doctor.

We're having a baby next month.  Hit us up if you have more questions.

I am a midwife in Guanacaste region.  I do home births.  If you are interested in birthing that way or want more information, go ahead and contact me here and we can move to a private source of discussion.

Are you legally permitted to assist with  home births in Costa Rica as Midwifery is not recognised as a profession in Costa Rica?
I do know that there is often a long delay in receiving a birth certificate, after a home delivery.