Relocating

With all the economical circumstances as well as the safety factor, it is with a sad heart that we are considering to  relocating, we have been to Mauritius various times and find it to be a very heart warming country, but to stay and make a living in a "holiday" destination is always a different game ball.  We do have a lot of questions, but I suppose some of the most important once are, schooling, housing, medical assistance ect. And what would your personal opinion be on
us "Rainbow" nation South Africans be on fitting in?  We have a very successful business on this side, but with
all the strikes ect it is really getting so tuff to cope from month to month, we just want what is best for us children, will they adapt to the environment as a South African?

Hi there,

Welcome to the Expat.com... needless to say there are many, many people from SA who live in Mauritius, particularly around areas like Tamarin, Riviere Noire, Petit Rivire Noire, which are in the West of the Island; they live either in a gated community (far more relaxed than those of SA) or independently.

I'm Australian, so I say toungue in cheek that we are surrounded by people from SA! People from SA take in their "own" very quickly, there is lots to do on a day to day basis, lots for the kids, and some good choices for nursery, pre-primary and primary schools in the West as well.

There's never a shortage of braai and poikes (hope I've spelt them right). The one thing I notice from our SA friends is that Mauritius seems more expensive than SA. Different for us coming from Australia where everything is expensive.

Hope this helps, lots to read on the blogs as well.

Thank you so much for some info, its always a big decision, are the kids coping? Ours is 7 and 14 and we just want a more safe environment for them, where we can go about our daily life's and earn a honest Living?  Why did you guys decide to move from Aussie to Mauritius ?  Most SA people are also looking at Aus as a option?

Good Morning Noenoe

I have a partner for our business who is French....he has been to guadloupe / Martinique / Reunion Island and is now in Mauritius.

Also, South African have a history in Mauritius...there are many south African expat also here. So adapting will not be an issue.

For schooling, I bet you will go for private school...example clavis for english medium and école du centre for French Medium (Mostly expat children goes there).

For Medical also even though we have the government hospital....I think its better to go with private clinics ( I also go to private clinic even if I am mauritian)

Hope to have help you a little... if you want to discuss more you skype me on toofaneeshaad

Kind regards

Hi,

Our kids are only 3 and 1, but the SA families are a little older, so we had less life choices to make! As long as there's a beach or park or playground they're happy...

We moved from Melbourne because it was so expensive, and we wanted a change of scenery, I was approached to come to Mauritius or SA, I think we made the right choice :)

If Australia is a serious choice for people from SA they normally choose Perth because of the proximity, but because Western Australia is a mining state, cost of
living is very very high because of wages being outrageously high.

Overall, there's plenty to do here for the kids and adults all over the island. The island is only 80kms wide and 100kms long, people only get "island fever" after a few years,

Cheers...

Hello there,,, Am kevin from the north part of Mauritius..

Well if you guys are planning to be in Mauritius for Business or anything else the best thing will be to spent  maybe a month in Mauritius and get to know about it by yourself and don't listen to what people say about it... Many people will say its a good lovely island but no one will tell you about the opposite side of it and I assume that its like that anywhere in the world.
For your children I don't know if the climate will be to much of different.
About the Benefits  well I don't thin we have child allowance in here..
Anyway I wish you all the Best
Love from Mauritius.

Heavenly_Bandit wrote:

Hello there,,, Am kevin from the north part of Mauritius..

Well if you guys are planning to be in Mauritius for Business or anything else the best thing will be to spent  maybe a month in Mauritius and get to know about it by yourself and don't listen to what people say about it... Many people will say its a good lovely island but no one will tell you about the opposite side of it and I assume that its like that anywhere in the world.
For your children I don't know if the climate will be to much of different.
About the Benefits well I don't thin we have child allowance in here..
Anyway I wish you all the Best
Love from Mauritius.

what are you babbling about? :/