Hi everibody!

Hi everybody!

Just found this website and think it is the right place where to be;)

I'm Maurizio, italian designer. I'll move to Shanghai in January 2015 for studying and working. I lived abroad in the past, but I think that moving to China shouldn't be as immediate as moving between european countries. I feel really excited about having a new life there but at the same I'd like you to tell me something about your experiences.
For example, what about the pollution? How are expats considered in Shanghai? Is it easy to mix western and eastern cultures? I read a lot about that topics, but personal experiences are, in my opinion, definitely interesting!

Thank you in advance!

Well, Shanghai is a very big city. I stay there for a half year 2012. The pollution is not a problem for living, but it depends on you. You can wear a mask if you think the PM2.5 is too much.
There are many foreigners in shanghai,so you can live there easily. Different culture makes you more attractive :cool:
It's a beautiful and busy city, you would be expectation for your life in Shanghai. :D

I suggest you learn Mandarin, if you come to Shanghai to work, I come from Shanghai

I'm Shanghai indigenous, I am very happy to answer Shanghai thing, and anything in China

hityoujackrabbit wrote:

I'm Shanghai indigenous, I am happy to answer things about some things in China, Shanghai's

Hi Maurivee!!! I'm planning to move to Shanghai. And you know what, I am going to pursue my career in fashion too!!! I'm really into designing but I'm a Apparel Merchandising & Product Development major. Really wish that I would have studied fashion design I'm just wondering how you get a job in Shanghai fashion industry? I wish I can get an opportunity to work in Shanghai fashion industry If I do, we might see each other soon!!!

traveltotibet wrote:

Well, Shanghai is a very big city. I stay there for a half year 2012. The pollution is not a problem for living, but it depends on you. You can wear a mask if you think the PM2.5 is too much.
There are many foreigners in shanghai,so you can live there easily. Different culture makes you more attractive :cool:
It's a beautiful and busy city, you would be expectation for your life in Shanghai. :D

Thank you for your answer traveltotibet! I'm really looking forward to come to that amazing city!

Of course Mandarin can help expats a lot! I studied the basis and this language is very cool! Wish I'll learn more during my stay. 再见和走好! 

Jennajia wrote:

Hi Maurivee!!! I'm planning to move to Shanghai. And you know what, I am going to pursue my career in fashion too!!! I'm really into designing but I'm a Apparel Merchandising & Product Development major. Really wish that I would have studied fashion design I'm just wondering how you get a job in Shanghai fashion industry? I wish I can get an opportunity to work in Shanghai fashion industry If I do, we might see each other soon!!!

Hi Jennajia! I hope you'll get the possibility of working in fashion!!! I'm not a fashion designer but an Environmental & Industrial Designer. By the way I love clothing and fashion trends and I'm really looking forward to meet people in this field too! Just contact me if you can get this opportunity!

hi,u will get bored in SHANGHAI if u have no friends,huhu.meeting strangers for the first time makes me insecure so i'd prefer living alone aside from my workplace,co-workers,just talking with my cellphone and computer.
Spring makes u happy here,Summer gives u wrinkles(getting angry inside the subway) and Winter makes ur finger cross hehe.
Jobs are difficult to find if English is not your mother tongue,and if have no confidence and no plan B to C ,u are loser.
Foods makes me cry so better to cook by myself.
In every cities,mix people,mix attitudes,if u dnt know how to keep ur fingers align ur lamp will turn off.
About transportation,some drivers makes me mad bec.they want"long way not short way"of course to earn more.althougi i can speak mandarin but Shanghai language,i can't.u can learn basic mandarin(google translation)by urself good luck

Jennajia wrote:

Friend, it is really nice to meet you. These days I do not reply to you really sorry, because I have here is very slow to open web pages, you use QQ chat software, and if you can add my QQ, chat on QQ is very convenient, many Chinese people are use QQ, if you can come to Shanghai, and I'll be glad to help you.

Questions about your work in the fashion industry, it is indeed very difficult, I do not know the fashion industry in Shanghai, but the only thing to do, step by step, after which you can only wait to Shanghai.

(Moderated: no copy/paste on the forum pls)

Hey there, I am also an industrial designer! How long will you stay in Shanghai?

I've been working here 5 years- met my now husband and life is good. Shanghai is pretty cosmopolitan- its easy to get around with basic mandarin and english. People are helpful and patient with folks learning mandarin.

migzz wrote:

hi,u will get bored in SHANGHAI if u have no friends,huhu.meeting strangers for the first time makes me insecure so i'd prefer living alone aside from my workplace,co-workers,just talking with my cellphone and computer.
Spring makes u happy here,Summer gives u wrinkles(getting angry inside the subway) and Winter makes ur finger cross hehe.
Jobs are difficult to find if English is not your mother tongue,and if have no confidence and no plan B to C ,u are loser.
Foods makes me cry so better to cook by myself.
In every cities,mix people,mix attitudes,if u dnt know how to keep ur fingers align ur lamp will turn off.
About transportation,some drivers makes me mad bec.they want"long way not short way"of course to earn more.althougi i can speak mandarin but Shanghai language,i can't.u can learn basic mandarin(google translation)by urself good luck

Hi miggz!

from your description it seems not to be the best place where to stay, by the way thank you for your feedback. I'll for sure tel you mine when I'll be living there ;)

hityoujackrabbit wrote:
Jennajia wrote:

Friend, it is really nice to meet you. These days I do not reply to you really sorry, because I have here is very slow to open web pages, you use QQ chat software, and if you can add my QQ, chat on QQ is very convenient, many Chinese people are use QQ, if you can come to Shanghai, and I'll be glad to help you.

Questions about your work in the fashion industry, it is indeed very difficult, I do not know the fashion industry in Shanghai, but the only thing to do, step by step, after which you can only wait to Shanghai.

Hi hityoujackrabbit and thanks for your suggestions! I added you on QQ. My QQ号码 is: 2920294425 and you can find me on WeChat too: mauriziovrenna

Thank you in advance for your help

KrisD wrote:

Hey there, I am also an industrial designer! How long will you stay in Shanghai?

I've been working here 5 years- met my now husband and life is good. Shanghai is pretty cosmopolitan- its easy to get around with basic mandarin and english. People are helpful and patient with folks learning mandarin.

Hello KrisD! And thank you for your answer. I'll arrive in Shanghai in January 2015 and will stay there for a year. Will attend some courses at Aalto-Tongji Design factory, then write a master thesis. I'll look for an internship/job for at least 6 months, then we'll see...! It would be really interesting to discuss with you about the job possibilities in our field. You can add me on WeChat or Skype, my ID for both is: mauriziovrenna

Hope to ear from you

There must be something so attractive to you in Shanghai that can balance your negative feeling about shanghai.

I am interested in what that is....lol