Living in Rosarito Beach, Baja Ca, Mex

Hello Expats in Mexico. My wife and I and our 4 children just moved to Rosarito from San Diego. We have been here a little over a month now and we love it. I'm glad we did it. It's so calm over here anyways are there any Expat Families here? I'm looking for new kiddos my kids can meet. My children speak english very poquito spanish. Ages are 12, 10, 7, & 2 We would like to get to know new people let me know thanks God Bless!

what could be better than a siesta on the beach. Ty for all the insight on Rosarito 😊

bajabound wrote:

what could be better than a siesta on the beach. Ty for all the insight on Rosarito 😊

Sort of depends on where you are coming from, If you are moving from Arizona, Texas, the yucatan or perhaps Florida, you might want lots or sweaters, and jackets for awhile.  It is 10 degrees or more colder than most of those places. Coming from California, no problem.

coming from calif so no problemo😎

hi,  appreciate your candor. i am gathering information ao that i can make an educated decision to move or not to move to Rosarito.
can you tell me about the mail and deliveries when ordered online. is there something similiar to UPS, if so are they reliable?
also, i would be a renter how easy or difficult is it to find a condo to rent and pricing?
thank you in advance for your time😊

I have a realtor lady that i dealt with i had a good experience her. i can recommend her to you. Also check out on Facebook a chat group called "Rosarito Living" thats a good source of rentals and things like that.

bajabound wrote:

hi,  appreciate your candor. i am gathering information ao that i can make an educated decision to move or not to move to Rosarito.
can you tell me about the mail and deliveries when ordered online. is there something similiar to UPS, if so are they reliable?
also, i would be a renter how easy or difficult is it to find a condo to rent and pricing?
thank you in advance for your time😊

I would think to be so close to the U.S. that you would have very little postal issues. Mexico has Amazon. and they deliver quickly. They also have DHL and FedEx as well as other delivery companies. A P.O. box should work for some things, but a mail address would also be possible, and given how close you would be to the U.S. a letter or delivery should be pretty normal compared to the U.S.

Deeper in Mexico mail slows quite a bit, but I still get deliveries at my house by the local mail. Faster deliveries arrive via FedEx or DHL.

As for renting you should visit and talk to a real estate agency.

No personal experience, yet.  But the real estate agency we are using has a great wealth of information on all manner of Baja living, besides just real estate.  We have been using them for more than a year now as our place is under construction and they give 110%.  If you contact them please use our agent Ken Huseman.

We have lived in Rosarito full-time for the past four years. In addition to everything else that has been written, there are several mail service businesses here that will provide you with a U.S. Po Box address and a package delivery address. They make the trip to the U.S. several times a week and pick up mail and packages and deliver them to their business location in Rosarito. You can simply pick them up at your leisure.

Rents can range from a few hundred to a few thousand depending on where you rent and what you are looking for. Do. Google search for Rosarito rentals and you'll find several real estate agencies that can help you out. The agents will be able to talk to you about the different areas of Rosarito and the pluses, minuses and costs ranges of each.

Good luck. We love it here and never plan to live anywhere else.

:) ty

hello all, im thinking about moving down to rosarito area,or after reading some of the posts about the safety issues playas or somewhere else, prefer a smaller populated area. when i get my disability, wont be much maybe 800-900 hoping to find a way to make a little extra cash online maybe.just looking for people to talk to who are down there,make some connections so if i come for a visit im not totally lost. have chronic pain issues so ill need to figure out health care costs..can i use medicare down there at all? can i bring my medicine from the states?  so many questions ,hoping to find a decent 1-2 bdrm apt near the beach for 500 or under,need high speed internet,also cable etc. can i bring my t.v stereo and some other things? anyway if anyone has some advice id love to ehar it thanks.

richierich1177 wrote:

hello all, im thinking about moving down to rosarito area,or after reading some of the posts about the safety issues playas or somewhere else, prefer a smaller populated area. when i get my disability, wont be much maybe 800-900 hoping to find a way to make a little extra cash online maybe.just looking for people to talk to who are down there,make some connections so if i come for a visit im not totally lost. have chronic pain issues so ill need to figure out health care costs..can i use medicare down there at all? can i bring my medicine from the states?  so many questions ,hoping to find a decent 1-2 bdrm apt near the beach for 500 or under,need high speed internet,also cable etc. can i bring my t.v stereo and some other things? anyway if anyone has some advice id love to ehar it thanks.

Hi, You should have no problem finding a place for the price you mention. You can bring your things. Just declare them when you come in.Cable and internet are available also. On the medical I am not sure. I doubt that you can use medicare here ,but that is something you can investigate when you visit.
However since you will be in the Baja you can go to San Diego to see a doctor

Medicare won't cover you outside the US with a few exceptions.  There has been a proposal floating around that it cover border towns due to the lower cost of treatments.  But that's never taken off.  I am guessing big medical on the US side of the border aren't happy about it.

Hiya Pax! I've enjoyed your posts, but also realize that they are dated. I've Googled "Rosarito rentals" but come up short, getting only Airbnb advertisements. I don't know if you ever check up on this site, but if you do, may I request any information you might have about contacting someone (even you) who can show me the way to an inexpensive room or studio apartment to rent long-term within walking distance to the public beach(es)?

Try a real estate site. Most have listings for both sales and rentals.

https://www.baja123.com/ROSARITO_BEACH_ … 66562.htmlhttp://www.bajaopenhouse.com/luxury-baj … 30895.html

Thank you so much! I'm going to get right on this... 😳

markluna wrote:

Thank you so much! I'm going to get right on this... 😳

Also try https://www.vivanuncios.com.mx/
Good luck

We are currently using Baja123 Ken Huesman and having a great experience.  Ken is wonderful to deal with and I believe his wife is a property manager for several condo complexes in the area.  Tell him Jim & Liz sent you.

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : Off-topic
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello,

I'm moving to Baja in a month and I need to keep my US cell phone number. Does anyone know which is the best cell phone carrier to call to and from Baja/US?

During our short visits we haven't had issues with our ATT international plan.

Hi All
I'm a senior moving to Baja in November 2019! Prefer Rosarito Beach or Ensenada! No car for 4 months! So looking for advice on places to start my Baja adventure! Don't speak much Spanish! I'm American but will be coming from the Philippines! Only me! My budget is $2000 usd monthly! Thinking that will do! I'm use to adapting to cultures in Europe and Asia! I'm from Oregon so am use to living with Mexicans there! Most of my gf's were Mexican! Looking for real practical advice! Tell it to me Straight! I'm a retired Land Surveyor who spent lot of time working in San Diego!

I would start in Rosarito. Good luck

Hello, How safe is it for a single woman to live there and do you need a car to live there.  What shopping amenities like walmarts or coscos etc are there please?  Where is the best place to find a 1 bedroom and what do you think a one bedroom would be?

Hi, I have been living in Puerto Vallarta for 9 years.  We spent 4 months in Rosarito.  No, I do not think it is safe for a single women to live in Rosarito.  The feeling we had in any border town or near by is lots of thug activity.  People did not act the same as they did in other parts lower down in Mexico.  Any Mexican around here will make eye contact with you and say Buenos Dias, Buenas Tardes ect.  Yes, you definitely do need a car as their bus system is not like here where we have pick up every 20 minutes.  Costco, Walmart and Sam's are all in TJ.

Appreciated your feedback.  I like PV a lot but it seems a bit expensive.  Has that been your experience as an expat.  I want to live for around $1,000. I thought of mazatlan. What do you think of the golden area there?

What is TJ?  Can you get a decent place for $1,000 in PV all in for 1?

Hi "heather38", my wife and I are now fulltime residents in Mexico since 2017 (we are Canadians from Quebec originally) and after traveling across Mexico, since 2003, we settled down in La Penita de Jaltemba.

Here everything is more affordable than PV but it's different more smaller pueblo. Everything, we need is walking distance (less than 1km). Rent wise easy and affordable, a 2 bdr can go for less than $13000 pesos (<>$850CA), year-round rental close to beach, a friend of mine rents a one bdr on the hilltop for less than $9000 pesos (<>$600CA) both of those apartments are very well maintained same owner all included (gas, electric, inernet, W/D) and pool. Other options exist for less or more pesos...advice avoid US dollar request

Some info is available on the following site for the area and faceboo page
https://explorenayarit.com/towns/https://www.facebook.com/groups/friends … 2&_rdr

Buena suerte en su proyecto, GyC

Thank you so much for the information.  I think PV might be too pricey for me.  As I seek a one bedroom for possibly October/November for 1 month would you provide me with contact details?  How is the air quality there?  I have been told that polution is Mexico is becoming a problem now.
Could I live in your location for $1,000 a month? Is that realistic?  How far in advance do they require deposits generally? Appreciatively, Heather38

Hi again "heather38",
Firstly, you ask if you could live with $1000 monthly ($15500 pesos), if this is for all expenses!!! If so it is possible but you need to find a nice cheap rental (some are available for $8000 pesos monthly rentals) and the $7500 pesos for food and goods.
Secondly, if $1000 monthly is for rent only then no problem an very decent rental can be found for less than $15000 pesos on a monthly basis rental.
Thirdly, our owner's complex is requesting a minimum 5 months stay and prefers year-round rentals so I don't provide the info,
So, for rentals, I suggest that you search within the Facebook page provided previously.
Also, you can contact Koral at the following Facebook page she might have some contacts
https://www.facebook.com/aliciastoursguayabitos
Also, you can do a search on Google maps and find info on various bungalows like Madre Cuixe Suites, Suites del Carmen, San Jose etc....
There's also a guy named Rick Baillay (not sure) on the Facebook page that find and help travellers, he's also known as real mexico travel I think for short term rentals.
Here's another link Stephane Legault
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ … 6794657618
Usually,  you can reserve with no deposit if you negotiate with owner.
In La Penita, I think the air quality is good.

Buena suerte en su visita.

Thank you for your post. Tell me about living as an expat and buying and visa rules. I am in the process of receiving my Mexican dual citizenship but I want to live there now and fly under the radar, not flaunt anything American, and just live free and simple and easy like I have always wanted. The American stuffy, upscale life has never really been for me, hence living in many countries such as Panama and Spain. But the difference is I have never purchased in Mexico until now. I am so proud of the half Mexican heritage I do possess and once I settle there, I don't want to use my American Citizenship status at all. I want to be known as a regular, Mexican citizen. Please tell me about the legal rules for buying and being “American” many have only offered negative comments stating crime, cartels, crookedness , and visa complications. Also, buying without a visa will get me evicted and banned back to the US. Is any of this true? In my years of crossing the border and going to the dentist, pharmacies, shopping, doctors, etc I have never had a problem. But people are telling me that visiting is very different than residing there and that the law will Come After me. True or false?

Thank you

In your case I would rent first. This will give you a chance to look at properties without being rushed.  Also when you purchase you want to have that Mexican citizenship so you dont have to purchase through a bank trust which has additional fees.
Good luck.

margaritamcdaniel706 wrote:

Thank you for your post. Tell me about living as an expat and buying and visa rules. I am in the process of receiving my Mexican dual citizenship but I want to live there now and fly under the radar, not flaunt anything American, and just live free and simple and easy like I have always wanted. The American stuffy, upscale life has never really been for me, hence living in many countries such as Panama and Spain. But the difference is I have never purchased in Mexico until now. I am so proud of the half Mexican heritage I do possess and once I settle there, I don't want to use my American Citizenship status at all. I want to be known as a regular, Mexican citizen. Please tell me about the legal rules for buying and being “American” many have only offered negative comments stating crime, cartels, crookedness , and visa complications. Also, buying without a visa will get me evicted and banned back to the US. Is any of this true? In my years of crossing the border and going to the dentist, pharmacies, shopping, doctors, etc I have never had a problem. But people are telling me that visiting is very different than residing there and that the law will Come After me. True or false?

Thank you

If you really want a lot of input, you'd probably be best to create a new thread on the Mexico forum and copy and paste your post into that new thread,

This thread is specifically about Rosarito, so knowledgeable folks might miss your questions.

@paxvobiscum I am very lonely so I would mostly like to know if there is a vibrant community life? You say the cost of living is not that low. Could you elaborate.

My new e-mail address is

Thank you so much for your generosity in sharing you knowledge.

Judy

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@paxvobiscum

Dear Pax

Many years ago as a young woman I hitchhiked through Baja,courtesy of waves of retired Americans in RVs. Now I'm retired, and looking for a place to rent or buy in a country that is not the US. This is for for cultural as well as climatological reasons.

I would so much appreciate knowing more about Rosarito, which I visited but can't specifically remember. —unless  this is the place with the little Eiffel church? That town I remember vividly and very much liked.

Does the ferry run from there? What cultural, spiritual social resources are available?Any volunteer organizations or opportunities for volunteer work?

Thanks so much.

Pat

We have been living in a very safe in PV Mexico.  I have lived in Rosarito.  That is very dangerous to me as the border towns are always scary.

@brogan

Hi Jim,   I'm not really looking to share a condo…not right now anyhow, but I am heading to NBC,  Mexico, most likely Rosarita, with my travel trailer which I plan on living in on the beach.   I like parcheesi, fishing and tequilla sunrises if you want to have a friend to call on.