Probably moving to Dammam with my family

Good morning all,

I'm on negotiation with a french company to come to Dammam for 3 years contract and I have some questions (may be already mentioned in this forum).

What is the cost of life (knowing that the Company will take care of the villa, car, insurance, school,....)?
How is the life inside the compounds?
What is the one of the best compound for leaving knowing that we have 3 kids (3 years and 7 year old)?
I know that my wife will not be allow to drive but can she easily find a job or an occupation somewhere?
It is easily to drive to Barain or Quatar with my family for the week end for example?
What about the security in Dammam?

I have plenty of other questions but I believe that is enough for the moment.

Thank you in advance for your honest answers.
Erwann

Hi wawann wellcome to the Expat.com.

I am also moving with family to Saudi Arab probably next month but in Al-Khobar attached to Dammam, I am also new and could not be above to answer your questions, but can write whatever information I heard about Dammam from the people living since long.

The most expensive heads are Accomodation and schooling which you said covered in your package good for you, rest of the expense are normal as compared to the western world.

You need to see many topics in this forum and will get a fair idea about all the questions you have asked in your post.

Further I found very helpfull and friendly people in this forum and you will get many answers of your questions and fun also!!!

Best regards.

Hi Erwann and Automation. I too am moving to Saudi next month, but I will be staying in Jubail, so I can give you some general second-hand feedback (My husband is already there).

I heard that it is possible to travel to Bahrain or Qatar by car but that it takes a long time to cross the borders because of immigration. Better make it a long weekend then (if you're lucky enough to have a 2-day weekend).

I heard that women are only allowed to apply for certain positions in certain fields (in the medical and educational fields for example) but I can't be sure... surely there are other positions that exist for women, but what do I know, I'm not there yet...

And apparently basic necessities like food and clothes are rather cheap.

Hope to give you more info as soon as I arrive, and if ever you arrive before us, please shed some light on these topics ! :D

Safe trip to Saudia!

wawann wrote:

What is the one of the best compound for leaving knowing that we have 3 kids (3 years and 7 year old)?
I know that my wife will not be allow to drive but can she easily find a job or an occupation somewhere?
Erwann

Hi Erwann,
I have been living for about 8 years in Khobar and as per my experience each and every compound is children friendly: there are swimmingpools almost everywhere, as well as playgrounds. Usually there will be a nursery or kindergarten.
As for your wife, it depends on her curriculum if she can find a job or not.
If it hasn't changed since two years, compounds are very well guarded but then I don't know about Dammam...
Cheers
Arlette

What is the cost of life (knowing that the Company will take care of the villa, car, insurance, school,....)?

Fairly inexpensive compared to what most expats make as salaries.  Food is heavily subsidized by the government and there are no taxes and import tariffs, so it's pretty affordable.

How is the life inside the compounds?

Depends on the compound, but most have swimming pools, recreation rooms, exercise rooms and playgrounds for children.

I don't know you or your kids, so that is too subjective a question to answer.  If your company is arranging your housing, you may not have a choice.  They may already have a contract with a compound.

Easily, no.  Depends on her professional qualifications.  If she has accounting or clerical experience she might be able to get a job at a hospital, school or ladies' branch of a bank.

It is easily to drive to Barain or Quatar with my family for the week end for example?

Sure, if you want to make the trip and have the exit/entry visas.  No problem.  I go to Bahrain a couple of times a month, no problems.

What about the security in Dammam?

I feel a great deal more secure here than I would in Riyadh, to be honest.  Because of Aramco and the large expat population here, security is pretty good for KSA.  You shouldn't have any problems, at all.

Good luck in your new adventure.

Good evening All,

Thank you all for your time and your answers.
Finally we made our mind and we will move with my family to Saoudia Arabia.

I got a french contract starting with 3 years mission in Al Khobar.

I will probably going to El Khobar next month to have look for a villa, for the French school for my kids and to start immigration papers for my family.

My futur boss told me about a Canary Village. Does anybody know anything concerning this camp?

Thanks & Regards

Don't know Canary Village, sorry.  And I have never heard of a French school in Al Khobar.  Doesn't mean there isn't one, but I've never heard of one.  You might check with Alliance Francaisin Riyadh to see of there is a French school in the Eastern Province.

Good luck...and congratulations on your new adventure.

Good morning all,

Sorry for my silence. Finally we took decision to take te challenge to go to KSA. So I went (alone for the moment)for the fisr time in September with a lot questions in my head and with some apprehension. Finally my first feeling was good. I spent most of the time of my first rotation in a campound for Bachelor and that was not so good. And just before to back in france (to prepare the arrival of my familly ) I received our villa in canary Village. It is a really nice campound and the villa is pretty good. I just back and so it is not easy to be alone (especially foe the first week end). The life here, for the moment, is not so bad and actually pretty good (but over time we will see). Excepty Alcohol and cultural life, you can find everything you want. And Bahrein is not so far. In fact everything depends on the life you want to have. It's up to you to ensure that it becomes fun. We are here so we need to respect the law of the country (even if we do not agree and not confortable sometime with that). Peoples are nice and friendly (inside and outside teh campound).
So normally we are here for 3 years. I'm just waiting my Iqama to start the process to bring my family in. I have no idea how long it will take. Do you have an idea from your experiences?
There are a French and English schoola in Al Khobar.

Thank for your preview comment. I wish to all of you all the best.

I still have many question about live and especially concerning found and medics.

Cordialement
Erwann

Well first of all welcome to Saudi Arabia..
Check out my post in the AL khobar forum to know about the various entertainment things that you can try out when you are here.

Family visas if you have it in hand, i.e. if your company a;ready has it, then it shouldnt take long, max three months, min, 15 days. thats the average. Both Bahrain and Qatar are not too far away.

Cheers!

Welcome to the Blog and kingdom!!!!!!!!!

hehehehe.... enjoy !