Are there any honest charities operating in Indonesia especially Bali?

:/ We have all come across these well meaning types on TV, in mail-outs, blogs or in real life soliciting our time or money for this or that well-meaning cause.

Now, in many 3rd world countries -as is well documented but i am to lazy to find the links to put out here- there are links between local 'elites' and foreign NGO organizations to funnel overseas taxpayer money into high level scams.

Seeing that Indonesia is a magnet for many NGOs and NGO types with most gravitating like moths (being polite here!) to Bali, i wonder f there are any Charities - Yayasans in Indonesian - employing Western """"""'consultants'""""""""" that are honest, and spend more than let's say 70% of gross donor funds on the purpose they advertise themselves doing.

The NGO should be willing to provide audited reports - by one of the top national accountancy firms.

Over to all of you. This means both the 'frauds' out there. You know who you are. As well as those of you, who are genuine, are as angry as I am about the charlatans that abuse the good name of charities. Others that may be interested are those that love Indonesia for whatever reason, wish to 'give something back' and are intelligent enough who don't want to fall prey to some pompous 'spinmeister' separating you from your hard-earned.

Why the interest and concern with NGOs and Yayasans in Bali when you live in Yogyakarta?  Wouldnt you personally prefer to be involved or help support charitable work closer to where you live so you could personally visit and see for yourself what work they are doing?

In any event, to answer your question as it relates to Bali, yes, there are a number of fine NGO and Yayasans operating here, and thanks for making your introductory post which gives me the opportunity to highlight one of the best of them, and one which has had our personal support since it was first founded, The Peduli Sesama Philanthropic Work,

http://www.pedulisesamaphilanthropicwor … x.php/home

As for employing western consultants I am personally unaware of any Yayasan or NGO on Bali which employs any westerners, but there are plenty of westerners on Bali involved on a volunteer basis with various non profit charity organizations.  If you are considering getting involved with one yourself surely they would respond directly to any e-mail inquiry.

thats  an  interesting  comment  because  it is  something  that  worries  me because  i wish  to  include  some  benefit  in  my will  for  indonesian  wildlife    and  i am finding  difficulty in  finding  the  best  way  to  go  i was  advised  that    some  organisations   can  spend  too  much  on  what  they  describe  as  administrative   costs   my  main  concern   is  for  orangutans      and  elephants       the  mass of  people  in  this  country  dont  seem  to  have  any  compassion  for other  creatures   and  as  usual  it  is   left  to foreigners  to try  to help    i  worry  that  i  might  die  without    actually   settling   on something       my  will is  made  out  in general  terms  giving  the  executor  discretion     its  a  lot  of money  and  i would  hate  to  waste  it   not  that  i  will  know  down  there

i under  stand  your  comment         you  may  know  neighbours  and  good  friends  of  mine    marg  barry  an  australian   woman  and   barrie  smith   (smudge)   a  pom    i  have  the  same  concern  about  the  people  who  want  to  help  to  spend  money

I stick to small charities, commonly tiny, independent orphanages.
I've always disliked the big, slick charities. If they can afford glossy brochures, my money isn't going where it should go.

It is a week or so since I put up this new subject and I have already had three replies.

Ubudian, Thanks for the first comment. I think an interest in charities or social work/engagement shouldn't be limited to those living in the respective area eg. Bali. Otherwise why would anyone based outside Aceh have helped the population after the 2006 Earthquake & Tsunami What about campaigns directed to alleviate disasters worldwide?

Also your link to the Balinese charity typifies the approach which should be subject to change. As a matter of course, charity websites should have a link to personal financials including sources of funds, the way that funds are applied, names of major donors - ideally a link to audited financial reports.

The other two commentator accurately show the consequences of the lack of trust prevalent among many in the donor community. This account for the increasing incidence of "donor fatigue" resulting either in a shelving or lowering of sums provided or a "going local" approach. This emphasis on a local approach whilst laudable, is an arbitrary approach to solving strategic problems. Long set problems within a community require longer time solutions and larger and more complex organizations.

This again leads to the reason for my original question on whether there are any "honest" charities operating in Indonesia. If there are other methodologies in determining the honesty or bona fides of charities other than the analysis of annual reports and/or other financial statements properly audited, I would like to know.

Our approach is to get to know the NGO or Yayasan (charity) personally before we donate any funds, or our time via volunteer work.     

It should be easy enough to understand why most organizations don't publish their audited annual statements on their web pages, but sure, they should be, (and normally are) available for review by any prospective donor.

As for limiting our involvement to charities on Bali, we simply believe in the old concept, charity begins at home.  With that said, an entire crew of volunteers from Ubud, Bali headed to Aceh within a few days of the tsunami, as disasters needing immediate help are entirely different situations than supporting regular charitable organizations at home.

Pretty simply concepts really, if you think about it. 

But, you asked the question, and my answer is yes, there are plenty of honest charities, NGO's, and Yayasans on Bali.  I've only named one of them.   

Whatever floats your boat is good, as it all helps.