Birth certificate for Vietnamese born French

Hi all,

I have just joined the forum in hopes to find an answer to my husband's situation.

My husband is a Vietnamese born French. He was born in Go Vap in 1979 and his parents immigrated to France, by plane, when he was about 1 year old.

Now we are going through an administrative process where he is required to provide a birth certificate, and the special one produced by the French government does not suffice. My question is, if there is anyone here who who had done this before, while not being present in Vietnam, how complicated this might be and is it possible to apply for an English or bilingual certificate? (BTW, luckily we have a relative who does live in Vietnam who is willing to help)

Further more, this certificate must be authenticated and I just got an answer from my country's Embassy that it takes a lot to authenticate it. First they think there is no English version. Then, after it is issued it should be translated by an authorized translator-->Notaries it -->send to a local legal office (???)-->send to Vietnam's office of external affair for approval--> an only then, finally send to the embassy. Does that sounds logical to you?... such a hustle :/

Any thought is welcomed,
Thanks.

I just read some information on the U.S. Govt site. Your probably in luck as your hubby was born after the war. Many were lost during the war. There is a central repository in HCM where you can have them try and locate the BS. As I recall you can have someone else do this for you. Of course, the translation and notarization is rather straight forward. If you would like to PM me I will try and send you the link that gives the instructions and the address.