Hello Everyone

Hi Everyone,

I am an India considering a job option in Nigeria, looking to work with Zain Telecom. Want to move along with my family. How is the general work and living conditions in Nigeria. What are the hang out places? Dos and Don'ts. Would really appreciate the advice.

Cheers,

Ajay

Hi Ajay,

Nigeria is a huge place which r v diverse in nature. Lemme know whr r u going to b based then i wud b in a better posn to reply.

In all the probability i should be based out of Lagos. Is Abuja (Capital) neighbouring town to Lagos? Since i shall be working for Zain, its head office is in Ikoyi Lagos, so i guess i should be looking for accomodation nearby in some gated community. What do you think?

Hi Ajay,

By air, Abuja is an hour away from Lagos, by road, about 8-9 hours. They are in different regions.

Since you'll be working with Zain, there are lots of cool neighbourhoods in Lagos and there is a HEAVY presence of Indians in an area called Apapa in Lagos, they celebrate holi and Diwali in these places (if this makes you feel any better)

I don't know what your budget is like, but i know Indians like to keep it low. There are expensive accomodations in Ikoyi and Victoria Island. You might wanna try other areas like Gbagada and Ikeja. You will find decent accomodations there.

Hi chukzii,

Thanks for the details. Since my office would be based out of Ikoyi, i would want to stay near the office since i have heard about some bad traffic jams in Lagos.

How about entertainment etc in Lagos, how far is the beach and what about the night life? What do Expats generally do on weekends?

Regards,

Ajay