Temporary Resdidencia - first steps!

A quick update:  We received our NM1 on December 28, 2014.  The visa was valid for one year.  During that time, DGM implemented the new practice of not renewing NM1 visas, thus forcing those persons like yours truly to seek temporary visa.  This caused a statute passed by the Dirección of Impuestos to be enforced.  The statute is the following (passed in August of 2014):  Upon entering into the country you have 30 days to begin the temporary visa process or pay a graduated fine.  Said fine becomes greater each year.  For us it was a catch 22, because earlier this year this new practice was implemented.  The total fine for our family of three was RD$ 22,000.  Luckily, my employer is in charge of procuring our Temporary Visa, and we are not paying.  But "if it ain't one thing, it's another!" My employer paid the fine and the RD$ 42,000 filing fee.  We are headed to get our medical exams today.  I'll keep everyone posted.  FYI, we are in the country legally due to the fact that we've begun the visa process.

Bob thanks for the contact information.  I will communicate with her.

Bob, happy new year to you & family.  I'm courious about how you can be "retired" & have clients too.  Doesn't having them bespoke of working?  Please clear up my confusion. Hope tour x-0mas was pleasurable.

Harry you are welcome.

Bob K

gringonazo  good luck and do keep us posted on your progress,

Bob K

Gypsy we are retired however we just recently sold our rental condo and have lots of clients from that who continue to come to visit and we still try to help them as well as the many clients we dealt with when selling property.

We also are retired from the real estate business but still do work with an occasional private client or past clients.

So yes retired but still have a food in the door.

Happy holidays

Bob K

Bob, thanks for clearing up my confusion. It is so nice to have a clear head once again.

Glad you are less confused.  Confusion can be a bad thing at our age :D

Bob K

December 30th we went to have our medical examinations done.  I was actually impressed with how quickly we got in and out of there.  Our attorney arrived early and took number one.  We arrived at 8:20 , and by 8:50 my wife and I had had our chest x-rays taken.  At approximately 9:20, my wife son and I had our consultation with the physician.  They took our weight, pulse, and blood pressure.  They also asked us our medical history, asked us about any body markings that are specific to us, and asked us if we are currently taking any medications.  After that, we waited some 10 minutes and my wife and I did our blood and urine "donations", and my soon did his urine "donation".

We were done by 10:00am at the latest.

My attorney informed me that we should hear something within the next 10 weeks.

Happy New Year to all!!!

Sounds like it went smoothly.  Glad no glitches.  Have a great holiday.

Bob K

Hi I'm new here!  I am still living in the US but my Husband and I are just getting started in our plans to move to DR, we just closed in November on our condo but won't be moving for a while. How far in advance should I start gathering all the documents needed? I have the name of an attorney that speaks great English my realtor referred me to and will be calling soon. Do we need a monthly income coming in each mon to be approved for residency? We are retiring a little early and planned on living off of some savings until pension, SS and 401K kicks in? I recently read on a realtor website that monthly income was required at least $1200 from each person??, Thanks!

Kat welcome.  Where did you purchase a condo?  Have you been here before for an extended period of time.  We came here full time to the north coast (Sosua/Cabarete area) 10 years ago and still living the dream.  We too retired "early".  When are  you planning on moving down?  Will you be making trips before hand?

I would start the process (needs to start in your home country at the Dominican Embassy or a consulate and depending on where you live in the US it may be a trip to do so).  There is an entire thread on residency requirements and yes you do need to show an income.  I am not sure if it is 1200K a month or a bit higher. 

The documents cannot be over 60 days old ( I believe that is the number) when you file.  Your lawyer here should have all this answers for you and be able to lay out a time line for you.  If not....get a new lawyer.

You will find there are lots of great folks on this board with lots of good information for you.  Please read, read and then read some more all the information that is here on this site and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Again welcome.

Bob K

Welcome.  You need to study the rules closely. Some documents are valid longer then others and none can expire prior to you sending them to the Dominican consulate.

Income is  1500 for one and 2,000 if two of you.  And the income sources allowed are specific OR you get a local sponsor, often your lawyer!

Hi thanks for responding.... We purchased in Bavaro. No we have not stayed extened periods of time, we have traveled to several islands over 28 years of being married and know we want to give this a try, I'm  sure there will be crazy days when we second guess our decision, but I think once the hard  part is over of the moving process and figuring out how things work we won't  look back.

We  will be making trips  to visit and hopefully  get more knowledgeable  each time, I reasearch and read everything probably  too much according  to my husband :-). I will ask the attorney about how the DR looks at income, we definitely  have resources to live on comfortably,  but we won't  actually have checks coming in for about 2-1/2- 3 years when my husband can collect pension, SS etc at zge 62. We want  to move there in 23 months when he is 59 and I'm  53,  I know this sounds distant  but I think i am going to need all that time to prepare, sell house, get docs in order, shipping container, pet documents etc, and still go to work everyday Ugh!

Thanks I'm  sure I'll  keep coming up with questions!

Thanks, will definitely  be finding  out more about the income requirements ....when I  asked my realtor she said she was told by the Lawyer she referred me to that as long as we could show "substainable income to support a lifestyle in the DR"  I have not contacted  the lawyer yet, she just gave me his contact info last week and it was a holiday so, i will contact him soon. Thanks!

Wow that was a leap of faith!  Are you renting  your unit until the move?

We got here when I was 56 and my wife 50.  We satisfied the $$$ requirement by showing substantial bank account.  That was enough.  This was enough but may not be sufficient today?  You may have to prove a portfolio (show just the minimum required). Again your lawyer will be able to get you around this. If you are self sufficient then getting around this should not be hard.

Bob K

No not going to rent, we have a service looking after it doing inspections every other month, and paying minimal  electric bills since  breakers are off and no appliances yet. It is brand new so I'm hoping not a lot can go wrong. We paid the HOA 1 yr in advance so were not having to wire funds each month. We want to possibly on our next visit look into building a small home and then rent the condo out.

That is what we did.  We bought a condo and lived in it while building our villa and then used the condo as a rental unit.  This can work well if the location is right.

Bob K

what's the deal with these dominicans, do they want letter of good conduct or FBI report. The socalled attorneys can't decide which is more expensive to charge me for. Trying to get retired person visa. is that to much to ask

Well pretty sure your attitude isn't going to help you.  "These Dominicans" get to decide who gets to be here, their country their rules.

As I understand it Americans require an FBI report. And you may in fact not.have a good lawyer, time to loom around maybe for a new one...... lawyers here are a dime a dozen.

your right about that, they give anyone a bad attitude, and right about the thief for a lawyer. can't keep throwing good money away. Brazil is looking better everyday for retired person I don't need this stress for bad electric,bad waters and bad manners

i do understand that - it can really get to you.  Sorry you are having such a time.   Question- do you really think Brazil is any better???

Well, for one thing it cost one hundred dollars to enter because that's what the US charges Brazilians to enter the states,They only require the following,a passport,finance statement,birth certificate. that's it.I apply and get my visa in two weeks on average. that's the difference, the electric is on all day, americans don't get robbed and killed in the capitol city like they do in Santo Domingo, remember the little old 80 year woman robbed and killed on the street in broad daylight. the crime rate has gone up 386% over the last three years, I read the reports so I know what I'm saying. that's a fact. the only thing good down there that I have seen are the women. I live in a small town  and have such a woman and a child I have  where americans haven't damaged the area I can live in peace. I found a such a place and I'm keeping a secret. one town, one american is nice.all I want is a retied persons visa or res. ID. but if the Capitol wants to make it difficult I can go other places and the woman and child will be left behind, I have travel all over and the D.R. is just one little Island.hate to sound cold ,but that's how it is. no stress no drama.

I can only say various areas of both countries have issues with crime. I am glad you found a small piece of paradise for yourself.  I will suggest a better lawyer and hope you figure it out.  Leaving a woman and child behind because it is  a bit tougher would not be good.  Just another reason for people here to speak bad about expats!

I totally understand your dilemma Army.
You sound like you could be from just outside Cabrera.
I too am patiently waiting on my green card.
I do love this kinda sometimes backwoodsey country.
When I do get my card, it will probably be expired.
Oh well, start again.
good luck to you chum!
Tom.
It' all about how you handle the stress & drama.
Me, I just have a Presidente!
Or a bottle of nice wine, with ice, MADE HERE by Barcelo.
I finally found this wine!

After reading most of the post I had a lawyer tell me 2800 per person. I did think it was a little steep but stated that I had to pay 1/2 after I had filed for my visa here in the US. She did tell me she would take care of everything after that. Has anyone ever heard of Maria Abreu from Abreu & Associates 809-364-5016? Is this price too expensive for this process? Any help would be greatly appreciated?

I find that price very high!

Thanks Planner, I did think that price was kinda high. Thats why I came back to this site to check and was like let me get others input on it. If you have any good lawyers that can help with this process it would be greatly appreciated.

2 are regularly  suggested here.  Wilson Rood,  [email protected]  829-962-7017  is in Santo Domingo which is where you need to file.  I believe he charges  1,200 or 1,300 for this work. 

Bob has another  one, a woman in Santiago. If you look back thru the posts you will find her contact info.

Thank you Planner, I did find Bob's lawyer and will also message yours to see who responds to me. Thanks for your help.Can't wait for our upcoming trip next month to check out different areas. We will be in Cabarete but will have a car.

I heard of her, she forgot to tell you about the payoff that come out of your pocket. plus her unexpected cost that will come about in the amount of $500.00 or more, trust me there's always more to pay out.

I hope this Wilson Rood will follow thru, you would think these lawyers would do a good job since they make money on word of mouth, well One more check to pay out and then I'm done with it. If by chance I get a visa or something I will be sure to post it or from whatever country I went to

Good point made in a round about way: make sure to understand all the fees and anything else you need to pay.  Some fees are a calculation and no lawyer covers those.  But basic filing fees are usually included.

Been out of touch for a bit but:

Amy... good luck in Brazil. Hope you find what you are looking for

Lovie  Yes that is a very high rate.  Dolly (lawyer we, our friends and clients use) is a fraction of that price and VERY good.

Bob K

Welcome back Bob. You were missed.

Thanks,  Still in New Jersey waiting on a major snow storm.  Boy I am so glad I don't live here anymore. 

Home to the DR on Tuesday and can't wait!

Bob K

I am watching the news and you are looking at a foot of snow.  Eeeeyuckkkkk

More like a foot plus.  UGH

Bob K

Take pictures

I will try.  Currently 23F and snowing like a bitch.

Bob K

Closed