Being a vegan in Saigon

Hi everybody,

I'm moving to Saigon next month and I'm really looking forward to it. Fortunately I don't have to worry about a lot of things because my employer helps with visa stuff, housing and so on.

I've been vegan for about 8 years and it's not a problem at all to find vegan stuff in Germany or Australia. I was in Vietnam before (three years ago, for a holiday) and it wasn't a problem there either. But then I realised that this time it will be a bit different. It's not only vegan food I have to look out for but also other things like shampoo and soap and cleaning products and what not. And I won't even be able to read the ingredients list...  :unsure

My question now: Are there any other vegans here who can help me out with finding these things?

Thanks
Carmen

Hi Carmen.

Being a  vegan and wanted to live in Saigon is ont a problem.This is a tropical country that produce
fresh fruits and vegetables.I found out that most restaurant serve fresh vegetables that you can eat them raw.

Have a handy translator (or have an online translator) that you can use to translate ingredients list of the products you want to use.

I hope you enjoy your stay in Saigon.

Hi,

I believe being a vegan is nice.  I'd like to introduce you some places but I have to check the names first cos I don't  have good memory. I used to go there with my friends but since she got married, I haven' been there any longer. Don't want to eat alone. I will pm you the addresses later.

If you want to look for natural products, you can check this website:

http://charmavietnam.com/

There are some you can make by yourself. I love making those things.

Good luck.

Hi,

thanks for your replies, benspm1 and dejavu.dot.
Like I said, food isn't the problem. I have a huuuuuge list (happycow.net) with all the vegan restaurants in Saigon.
The products in the Charma shop are more like what I'm looking for.
To maybe clarify my question again:
I'm looking for vegan skincare and cleaning products, means products that are not tested on animals and don't contain ingredients like honey, beeswax, carmine (a colouring agent made from scale insects), lanolin (wool wax) to just name a few. But I guess it would be the easiest if I just brought all the things with me...
And making things myself is also a good idea!

Ta
Carmen

Hi. I am Desmond Tan from Singapore. I am a vegetarian too. Nice to know you.  :)

I'm not a vegan, but I like the people who are vegan in addition I do like to eat vegan food sometimes.
hey lets meet up for a vegan group and find something to east. Everybody is welcome right ??? how does it sound??

Hey breitho,

sounds awesome! But you're in Oslo, right?? Or did you mean an online group?

hello, forgot to change my status location. I'm Vietnam. Have a nice day then.

Hi Carmen,
I've just been searching the internet to see if there is a vegan group or something similar in Saigon and saw your email.    My husband and are both vegan and moved to Saigon for work a couple of weeks ago. We're keen to meet up with like minded people.
Let us know if you are interested.
Jenny

Hello Carmen,

Saigon is a paradise for people who eat vegan.
When you are looking for other vegan products like shampoo, body lotion, so please go to Loving Hut Hoa Dang. This is a Vegan restaurant, but they have also a vegan supermarket on the 1st floor.
Schau mal im Internet nach : Loving Hut Hoa Dang

Schoene Gruesse
Anh Tuan

Hi Anh,

thanks for your answer, that's great to know!!
Just two days ago I was lucky and also found laundry liquid and dish wash at the An Phu supermarket in Thao Dien. It's the Australian brand "Earth Choice". They have probably even more things there at the supermarket, I just didn't have a look.

Are you a vegan as well? Would you be interested in a weekly/monthly/... meeting? I would like to organise something soon, I'm just still very busy at the moment.

See you! Carmen

Hi everybody,

I decided to write a blog about my vegan adventures in Vietnam, so in case anybody is interested, check this out:
- iheartsaigon.wordpress.com/

Carmen

Yes Carmen, i am also a Veganer:)
Lets go together for eating somewhere than. I live in An Phu, District 2.

Hi

We've tentatively planned to meet up with Carmen on Friday (probably 7pm) to eat at 1 of the veggy places down Tran Nao. We are also in District 2, An Phu and live in the An Khang buildings near Metro. If you like we can all meet up/ go down together. The places are about a 30 minute walk from where we live.

I dont think, that there are some Pur Vegan Locations in Tran Nao.
Why dont we meet in District 1?

There is definitely one in An Phu. Here is the link off "Happy Cow". http://www.happycow.net/reviews/ploughm … city-48710
I will go and check it out today.

I would like to try some of the other places in district 1 too, but I still don't dare to ride into the city (and also I'm lazy so I prefer the places in district 2 :))

Carmen

Hi

there are 2 com chay places 1/2 way down at the major crossroads.

That's a new one on us. Check it out and let us know what you think. It's pretty close to us in An Khang and we'd be up for it if it still exists.

oh, i will try to go there. But why do they close already at 4 pm.

Went to Ploughman's Garden today (Tuesday was closed because they had no running water) and it was beautiful. A really nice garden, super friendly guys (who also speak perfect English) and yummy food. I arrived at 3 so they had only the veggie burger left but it was delicious. And healthy and organic. It's a definite recommendation although, like Anthuancologne already mentioned, they close at 4 pm, so not suitable for Friday night.
So, Jenny, where shall we meet?
Dejuvu.dot also said she would like to join.

You found it! Well done; we looked but couldn't find it, but it was after 4pm. Would like to know where it is.
We haven't tried this one yet
Dieu Giac Vegetarian Restaurant
6/10, Tran Nao Street

So shall we all meet there at 7pm? If it's no good there's one across the road from it.

We'll be there anyway and will go in to eat at 7pm even if no-one else has turned up. Hopefully see you all there.

I'll be there! See yous later!

Dieu Giac Vegetarian Restaurant
6/10, Tran Nao Street

Hello everyone,
I think, this place is not so clean and the food does not look fresh and healthy and tasty.

Eating at vegetarian restaurants is not as healthy as it sounds. The restaurants normally put a lot of oil and additives to make the food tasty so be aware and choose the dishes low on oil.

Anatta: it depends on, where you eat and who cooks in the kitchen.

Of course. I am referring to the majority of the vegetarian restaurants in SGN. The thing that bothers me with vegetarian meals here is that they try to do "fake meat" and add tons of unhealthy stuff to make them taste good or like real meat but then the meals are no longer healthy.
As I mention, just be careful with selecting the right dishes.

Oh, and avoid those restaurants around the end and the middle of lunar calendar since they are all packed with Vietnamese since it is customary to eat there during those times.

Let's meet at Dieu Giac anyway and, as Jenny said, there's another one if we really don't wanna eat there.

All the food that I have had so far was not too unhealthy I guess. But then again I think that very much depends on your definition of healthy. My sister only eats organic and raw, or if not raw then at least wholemeal rice and pasta and stuff. So if you wanna eat as healthy as her it's probably very hard finding a restaurant. But to be honest (my) healthiness is not my main concern. As long as it's vegan I'm pretty satisfied.

Carmen
People become vegan because of different reasons and I understand that.
If you are vegan because of animal compassion then the following points may of interest to you.
1. Oil: Some restaurants are not so picky about where they buy the oil from. The result: the oil they cook has animal oil (reused/recycled).
2. Non- vegan cooking ingredients: fish sauce, broth having animal-based components,...

Not that the restaurants are doing it consciously, but they are not always aware of what their suppliers give them.
I don't know how much of a problem it is.

In addition, this concept of vegan is not familiar for Vietnamese, so they don't pay much attention, since the food is still vegetarian (though may not be strictly vegan).

try Thym on Facebook

Hi Anatta,

thanks for your information. I've already heard that before and wherever I went I tried to make sure that I don't get fish sauce and other nonvegan stuff. On the other hand though, I've asked some locals who speak pretty good English and they said when the restaurant is vegetarian they only use vegetarian/vegan fish sauce for example. I'm under the impression that the restaurants know pretty well what vegetarian/vegan means and that the don't put any other things.

Well, I'm trying my best to avoid all animal exploitation and suffering but my need to eat still comes first. So if I'm hungry and there is no pure vegan place anywhere near, I go to the next best place I can find and try to communicate what I eat and don't eat. And hope for the best.

Hello Everyone,

In Distrikt 2 near Estella and Imperia is a very big pagoda. There was a vegetarian restaurant opened since 1 month.
Its a beautifull place, but expensive.
I just found a new vegan restaurant opening on september in District 3. Here its Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tamanhome/photos_stream

I intend to visit that pagoda tomorrow! :lol:

Thanks for that. We've been there too. It's pretty good but we have doubts about how vegan the pad thai is. If it was fake bits of omelette then they were extremely realistic. Funny, we thought egg wasn't even vegetarian according to buddhists. Also watch out for Ploughman's Garden's veggy burgers as the woman there told me they put egg in them. Loving Hut's our favourite visited so far. Vegan durian ice cream!!

Jenny Bell wrote:

Thanks for that. We've been there too. It's pretty good but we have doubts about how vegan the pad thai is. If it was fake bits of omelette then they were extremely realistic. Funny, we thought egg wasn't even vegetarian according to buddhists. Also watch out for Ploughman's Garden's veggy burgers as the woman there told me they put egg in them. Loving Hut's our favourite visited so far. Vegan durian ice cream!!

I think it's ok if you are not a Buddhist

Thanks as well from me! I went to the restaurant yesterday and loved the spring rolls. Probably the best I have ever had. But it was really expensive. Before I left, the manager started talking to me and I asked him about the cheese they have in some dishes and eggs. He said it's not real cheese but I didn't really understand what it is made of then. But he said a few times that they don't use cow's milk. When I asked about egg he said they do use egg but can omit it if you request it.
@Jenny: tha't exactly what I thought. I was told that buddhists consider eggs to be non-vegetarian... not they obviously...
And I didn't know about egg in the veggie burger at Ploughman's garden. I'll ask Seiko again next time I'm there (like at least once a week :))

I have a question.

How do you KNOW if food is organic or even vegetarian? How do you KNOW where fruit and vegies are from?

How can you TRUST LABELLING from minor producers?

Just curious. I love visiting wholesale markets where you can often buy rolls of sticky labels that have USA or Dole or New Zealand-grown that vendors use to change source names - usually from China. Grapes from Ninh Thuan - I wonder?

During 2013, 88% of imported oranges and 50% of grapes were imported from <drum roll> China!

This isn't much unlike Tesco's in the UK where they were caught selling Wild Boar, Deer, Horse and 'roadkill' as prime beef patties!

Happy eating! (But never uncooked!)

I can't. But does that mean I'm not even gonna try? Veganism is about causing as little impact on animal suffering as possible.

Hi Carmen. We've had some 'cheese' stuff and it's basically this fermented tofu thing which has a really strong taste. I like it, Ian's less keen. In China it's called Dou Ban Jiang; here we don't know. We're off for our holiday on Saturday so don't know if we'll be going out on Friday to eat as we may need to use some stuff up. Also we don't know if it's a buddhist veggy day today but the place downstairs is doing Com Chay tonight. Normally there's nothing we can eat there.

We are trying not to consume animal products if possible and it works pretty well. Fruit and veggys are ok as are the products from vegetarian shops (there's one near us). We trust that if it says chay then it should be ok as it's important from a religious point of view over here as far as we can figure. Maybe we've consumed some animal products (if so, not much) but as we learn more words we should be able to avoid it completely.

As for the quality of the produce in terms of pesticides etc, that's a tricky one. There are organic things around and Viet Gap stuff attempts to minimise pesticides.