Mother of soon to be 2 possibly moving to panama

Hello everybody,

I am 25 years old with a 1 year old son and another baby boy on the way. My husband got a very appealing job offer from a connection his family has in Panama. It would be stupid for him not to accept, but I am feeling very nervous about uprooting my family. We currently live in a small town in Ontario Canada. Beautiful country side 10 minutes from my parents, this is what I know and I'm very comfortable with. If all goes as planned with the job offer, we would be moving to panama as soon as September. I'm not due until November so I would consider staying back here and giving birth then joining my husband in Panama with the children. I'm very scared and not sure what to do. I always envisioned raising my children in Canada. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Is Panama and ideal place to move with such young children? Thanks in advance.

Hello Canadianmama and welcome on board Expat.com

I suggest you to browse through the forum and see the threads so  as to get to know a bit the life in Panama. Many expats have been through the same process as you, you may participate on the other threads too and ask for required infos with the expats who already done the move.

These threads may help you :

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=331316https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=360299

Do not hesitate to ask for specific questions so that members can help you best.

Regards
Kenjee

I have lived here for over 30 years. I can tell you from experience to STAY where you are.....do not even thin k of moving here at your age with a small child and expecting as well...
If someone promised your husband a job let him come here and check it out and after some time maybe a year of you visiting him maybe you could make that move....if you are comfortable where you are STAY THERE....most people will tell you all these nice things about Panama. I will tell you many nice things as well but will tell you the truth above all....
I know at least five couples that have left Panama with their young children in the last three years...why...? Simple they do not want their children raised around this culture....
I live here and love it but I am someone who knows how to get things done here as well as known as someone not to play juega vivo with...
If some one promised your husband a job I would verify everything they say before taking their word for it....
After over 30 years here ask me how many people I trust here....Maybe two and I am one of those two....
99% of what you hear here is B.S. and the other 1% is a calculated lie......having said that one thing good about it is that everyone is completely predictable here so everyday you wake up you already know what is going to happen. So having a plan A, B, C, D, E, F, and G will be helpful....
DO NOT take advice from someone who has not lived here for at least 10 years and be VERY careful with the attorneys here. There are honest people here but hard to find...but then again most of the world is like that now.
My advise is to stay where you are comfortable and visit your husband AFTER you confirm he has a job and is working at it for at least a year....

Listen to your instinct and VaqueroPTY.  Don't do it.