Lecce - real cost of living?

I am planning to retire in a few years and have visited Lecce and anticipate living there.  I will either have dual citizenship by then (Jure Sanguinus) or be on an elective residency visa. My question is how far my two small pensions will take me:  I anticipate a total monthly income of around $3000 USD (currently about 2200 euro).  I'm hoping to rent a small apartment in centro storico and wonder how comfortable or uncomfortable I'd be. Thanks for your honest appraisal!

Hello MikeS29 and welcome to Expat.com  :cheers:

As for you small appartement, I suggest you place an advert in our section Housing in Lecce so as to find a better rental proposition.

For knowing cost of living I suggest you to check out this link to have an idea :

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co … ntry=Italy

Regards
Kenjee

Thank you for the reply! I will indeed check out the Lecce housing section.

I have used Numeo to compare Lecce to Seattle (where I am currently living) but I am hoping to find someone in Lecce who can vouch for the accuracy of those numbers. When I look at the Italy-wide link that you provided, it has helped me to fill in some missing information that wasn't reported in The Lecce Numeo summary, such as costs for electrical, phone, television.  Grazie ancora!

hi there mikeS29, I'm from this part of the world, coincidentally.... with your pensions you can widely afford this choice, indeed! cost of living isn't so bad, but yet is pretty high for me! gas and electricity-wise, italy detains the highest prices in europe, rents in "Lecce centro" are obviously high (it can be from 800 up to 1300 or more for 80 sqm), but if you're not in a hurry, I'll suggest you to find out about the whole territory also known as "SALENTO" (and to do not confuse it with "CILENTO") to get a house in some closest smaller town or even better a land/farm in the countryside, if you'd love this, of course (because I will never live in lecce, its overcrowded, lots of cars around during the week and drivers are nuts, worse than Rome!!!!). I'll be glad to reply to any enquire, if I can!

this LINK will give you roughly an idea of the area.... take care!

Thank you so much encouraging response. I will continue to study the area and see exactly where I will land, but when I was in Lecce last year I fell in love with the historic center and like the idea of not needing una macchina :-)

I also found this testimony from Earth Costs.  Good stuff!

earthcosts.com/italy/744-lecce-south-italy.html

mmm.... it's partially fair, it needs a big update! it's an old one, consider the cost of living in the last 5 yrs has raised a lot!!! just the cost of petrol is around 1.75/lt, gas and electricity are higher than he says! but I think it is one of the coziest place in  italy, don't you think?

Thank you for the update! I love Puglia, especially the historic center of Lecce. I'd be interested to hear if you think 2200 euro per month makes living in the center of Lecce affordable. Thank you!

you'll afford it and you'll be able to enjoy the beauty of the province, slowly, day by day, the weather here will be kind till November sometimes; unfortunately this year the "summer" doesn't want to really start, torrential rain on and off, but concerning this I think it will last longer. I'll be pleased to reply if it's there anything you'd like to ask.

Thank you :-) I am still a few years away from retirement, but I'm trying to plan ahead.  I will visit at least one more time before moving, as well.