Moving to Gibraltar

Hello guys.

I got a job offer from one of the betting companies and I will be moving to Gib in 2-3 weeks' time.
I am looking for any useful information, although I managed to read so much stuff on the internet, but I am still a little concerned. Biggest issue is accommodation, as the employers said that they won't be providing any assistance in that matter. From what I've read La Linea is the best choice since it's cheaper and only few minutes apart from Gib.
What is the standard cost of an apartment in La Linea and would 400 euro/pcm do the thing? I'm looking for something cheap, but not the cheapest/lowest class accommodaton. I've read on this forum that If you get an apartment in La Linea, you'll need to arrange bills, internet, etc. in Spanish, as people in La Linea would refuse speaking in English. Quite strange , but is that correct at all? How is life in Gibraltar and the surrounding areas? I refused a job in London to go to Gibraltar and it better be good :D. From what I've seen on the web, it would be an ideal place for me, as I can't stand the UK weather, but of course I don't expect sunshine 24/7.

Can someone clarify what are the rental conditions in La Linea? Do they usually take a deposit and require 2 months upfront or is it different? Also, I am looking to start the rental as soon as I land. Obiviously I will be in contact with the letting agency couple of weeks before I move in, but how long does the procedure take? I am asking because I had some bad experience in Manchester where letting a property takes days or even weeks.

Sorry for the long post.
Any useful comments would be much appreciated. Thank you :)

Good luck escaping the UK that is a wise move for so many reasons.

Hi bpfc

Many people in La Linea speak English to some extent and it always helps if you look like spending money so don't worry too much. However some offices can be very frustrating, they have no inclination to work.

I always recommend that people should first take a short let in Gib while they look around and get themselves acquainted, it@s worth the extra expense

Take a look at this clip  Spanish language not necessary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXWZ3uAEKsw

Regards

Grumpy

Thats funny aswell..

I am also thinknig about moving to Gib next year.. one thing I did notice about working in Gib and living in Spain is that you will pay tax in Gibraltar and then you will also have to pay tax in Spain as you have to fill out a tax form every year when living there and you have to tell them about worldwide income and they will tax you on it.

category2.com/international_tax2/Gibraltar_Cross_border_tax.html

So depending on what you will be earning it might be better off renting in Gib.

Rental prices are ludicrous in Gibraltar.

There is a closed facebook group i found called Sell or Rent your properties Gibraltar/Spain.

People post up rental places without using an estate agent so they seem to be a lot cheaper as the estate agent is not taknig a big cut.. anyway I am not looking to move out there until next year but maybe the group will be of help to someone else :)

hey mate,

I live and work in Gibraltar for 2 years now, I am pretty much establish here. I just moved to a house in La Linea close to the border with 4 bedrooms, roof terrace and a private garage. If you want you can stay at my place for a few months until you find your own place in Gib/La Linea. I live alone, so there are 3 bedrooms empty. I can also give you a lot of tips, because I rented in Gib before. By the way I am 24 :)

Hi

I have lived in both Gib and Spain and left England july 2011, when i see the UK and read about it and see it on tv i know why I left!

expect to pay at least 850pcm for a 1 bed flat in Gib
Gib is very expensive Morrisons has a monopoly on supermarkets here so can charge what they like,and do

the only other supermarket is Eroski which is near the border i live and shop in Spain so do not know what its like.

La linea is rough and ready and very spanish,I have not seen any crime in 3 years and I like living there. 500euros will get you a 2 bed flat easy.I Have a 5yr old house 3 floors with a terrace perfect for bbqs :D

IF you want any advice just ask!

WAYNE :)