Shorts & sockets

Dear All,

I am writing to inquire about the wearing of shorts in Jeddah: where and when is this permitted so as not to cause offense?

Travelling with UK electrical equipment (3 pin plugs) what are the socket standards used in Jeddah?

Many thanks in advance

u can wear shorts...but sometimes they might stop u from getting into the flight...and we do have 3 pin sockets here..
Top=  |
bottom= -   -
types

No short-shorts. 

The kind that fall at the knee or just below the knee would be acceptable.

Thank you.  Your diagram corresponds with the UK 3 pin plug.

With regard to wearing shorts, I am assuming it is fine to wear them in the residential compounds, but was wondering about wearing them on the street and also about access to malls and cafes if wearing shorts.  i do not plan to wear them on the plane.

Many thanks for your response.

The kind that fall at the knee or just below the knee would be acceptable.

Thank you.  Cargo shorts to knee length are the ones I have in mind.

I read something recently about 'immoral trousers' and a man being arrested for wearing these at a restaurant - there were no more details.  :o

Maybe they were tight!

It is quite interesting to see very few men in shorts (to the knees) in the summer!  Maybe its their way of keeping the misery on an equal level!  lol  Women wear abayas, men wear long pants!

I remember when we came to KSA for our first visit last July, my hubby being the very casual guy that he is, wore cargo shorts and an old t-shirt on the plane into the country and then again the next day while we were visiting some compounds, etc.  It wasn't until we arrived back at the hotel that 2nd night that we thought about NOT seeing any other men in shorts and t-shirts!     :dumbom:       Needless to say, he switched to jeans but kept the old t-shirts as his attire and didn't stick out as a foreigner quite as bad!   lol 

Now we see many men in shorts (to the knees) around town...  Go with whats comfortable, with in reason and respectful!

Enjoy Jeddah!

I am one of the few who wear shorts in Jubail.  I won't wear "short shorts" (who wants to see a giant man in buttock briefs?)but have been known to drop in at Panda for some quick shopping in a pair of exercise shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt.  Egads! 

I would only do this when there are few women shopping...the shock of seeing another man's arms or legs could be traumatic.

Thank you for all the responses.  Living in Indonesia for the past 5 years, I always wear shorts when I am not working (cargo shorts not tight speedo style).

It comes as a relief to know that I can continue to dress this way in Jeddah.

Thanks

I am one of the few who wear shorts in Jubail.  I won't wear "short shorts" (who wants to see a giant man in buttock briefs?)but have been known to drop in at Panda for some quick shopping in a pair of exercise shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt.  Egads! 

I would only do this when there are few women shopping...the shock of seeing another man's arms or legs could be traumatic.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:  You risk-taker you!

You risk-taker you!

I'm 6'5" tall.  Who's gonna come and give me **** in the supermarket?

a giant man in buttock briefs

YIKES!!!!

"giant man,"  "buttock briefs" ....

Stretch, you're gonna be getting more gay fan mail!!

:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I am rolling on the floor laughing!   Stretch - this is a visual Im not sure anyone here (including me!) is ready for!   lol 

As Allie mentioned, stand by for incoming fan mail!  :o

Stretch, you're gonna be getting more gay fan mail!!

No more, no more, no more, I say.

I was saying I would NEVER wear buttocks briefs.  I live in Thailand where the little ladyboys (and sometimes not so little) wear these things everywhere.

Not for me, thank you.

While on the topic of shorts - does anyone have information about commercial gyms in Jeddah.  I have been told that there are gyms in the residential complexes, but I am wondering aboutt he prices at the large gym chains.

Many thanks

The pricesnof the gyms here in Riyadh are ridiculous. Around 300 SAR or more a month. Not sure about Jeddah...

It is pretty funny to go to the gym in this part of the world. When i walked into the gym and saw a guy in a thobe running on a treadmill, i knew I was in for a treat.

I joined the gym at the hotel we are staying at for 1500 SAR for 6 months. Believe it or not, that is a pretty good rate around here. There is a little Indian guy who insists on spotting me every time I bench, which is pretty funny, considering I bench about 3 times as much as he weighs...so i think it is more of a formality. Also, I know how you women must feel...I feel like I get quite a few lusting stares in the gym...or perhaps they are in awe of what peak physical condition I am in... : )

Anyway, there are gyms around, they tend to be quite expensive.

WTENGEL wrote:

I know how you women must feel...I feel like I get quite a few lusting stares in the gym...or perhaps they are in awe of what peak physical condition I am in... : )

Travis tell Aaron its not polite to stare at you like that next time.

It isn't so much the staring that's the problem, but when he rubs my shoulders all creepy like and asks me if I want to pay x box (shudder) or go to his windowless panel van and look at puppies...

or perhaps they are in awe of what peak physical condition I am in

:blink::blink::blink:

ooops.. sorry. Am I staring? lol

I have just received this information from Gold's in Jeddah:

Executive Membership (one Year) = 4200 SR

6 Month Membership = 2500 SR

3 Month Membership = 1800 SR

1 Month Membership = 1000 SR

These prices are really unbelievable!!

:o

Gold's Gym in Jeddah is not even good. Same price, better Gym is FitnnessTime.

Jazz

Hi Guys,

I'm new here but hope to contribute and immerse myself in the community over the coming months ;)

I'm moving to Riyadh in a couple of weeks and was understand that it's more conservative than Jeddah. Concerning dress code on the streets, will I get away with cargo shorts (past the knee)? and tee-shirt?

Also I hear that white tennis shoes are 'frowned upon'?

Any news on this?? Can anyone advise me what not to bother bringing with me?

Cheers

Hey mailman,

You're okay with white tennis shoes. Welcome to the kingdom!

I have been here a week now and cargo shorts and tennis shoes describes exactly what I am wearing.

It is a relief, I can tell you!

What you wear on your compound is up to you.

Outside, anything too revealing or unusual is offensive to Saudis. They are conservative beyond your wildest imaginings.

They may be too polite to let you know, but you WILL cause offence wearing shorts and sleeveless shirts.

p4tr1k << speaking of shorts, i had a colleague who was kidnapped, beaten and left inside a dark warehouse... because he was wearing shorts that are a bit above the knee in length.  his legs were white and smooth, barely had no hair on it... so maybe that's wut attracted the kidnappers.

Wow!

Well, my shorts are at least 2 inches below the knee, and when not at work I am pretty much living in shorts, polo shirts and trainers.

No complaints as yet.