Tech guy seeking salary advice for job in HCMC

I'm a 49 year old man working and living with a good job in California, USA.  I have been in discussions with a very large VN company and was offered $30/hr.  I make $120k right now in the USA.  I think $60k/year might be an acceptable salary in VN but want to check in regarding how much negotiation I should be doing and whether I am getting a fair offer.  I am excited to move to Vietnam mainly because of the extreme adventure.  I want ideally to live in a decent secure place, travel, have adventures, and get all my "single guy" needs met.  I have been told that in VN, companies often provide benefits for expats.  I have sent an email asking them the following questions.  Is there anything I have left out?  I sure hope this works out!   :-)  Thanks! 

Will the company pay all income taxes on the salary?   
Will the company cover health insurance? 
How much will the company pay for a housing and living allowance?   I have heard that $2000/month is a typical allowance for living in HCMC. 
Will the position include transportation to work?  I am able to ride a motorcycle through HCMCs crowded streets.  :-)  However, it can be difficult to cart my gear around that way, especially in the rain, and it would be nice to at least have a taxi card if needed. 
Will the company include travel to and from USA once per year? 
Will the company include expatriation and repatriation compensation for costs incurred moving to and from VN? 
How many hours per week would I be working and paid for?   
Are the hours flexible or must I work strict times and days? 
You mention part-time teacher, if I were to be full-time instruction, would the money per hour increase?   
Am I being hired month to month, quitting or being fired at will, or would we sign something like a yearly contract? 
How many holidays/vacation/sick days are given/allowed? 
Would any other benefits be included? 

How stable is this position? 
Does the fact that I would be 50% research and 50% university cause me to be viewed as two part time employees, more at risk to be terminated?

How about:  WIll you be paid in VND or USD?   How will you receive the funds?  (e.g., from a Vietnamese bank, etc.)

Remember:  Bringing money into Vietnam is easy, but taking a large amount out is nearly impossible.

Can you tell us a little bit about the position you're being offered?  I'm also from the Bay Area, having also worked in tech.

Dan, if you can prove the source of income and taxes paid, you can take out what you want. Its when you cant prove where it comes from and no taxes paid then it is a problem.

OP, so many questions, you should be asking your employer, not on a forum such as this

Sorry I just reread all of it and see that you have emailed them. If they are a decent company they should be able to answer your questions.

If you need a complete answer to this much you can pm me. 
I don't want to read full and answer here.
Of course I will charge you.

colinoscapee wrote:

Dan, if you can prove the source of income and taxes paid, you can take out what you want. Its when you cant prove where it comes from and no taxes paid then it is a problem.

The problem is solved by buying black-market USD$. The exchange rate isn't too bad when compared to the banks.

@wealthychef:
You've obviously not been on overseas contracts.

As someone else suggested, it's all in the contract PLUS you need a Work Permit which can only be obtained over here. So there goes the cost a return  flight.

But, in VietNam, contracts can be easily broken. A small token of appreciation slipped to the right official can get your permit cancelled, which effectively means you cannot complete the contract.

Assuming,pour employer employs you for 48 hours per week (maximum legal) for 4 weeks per month (Chinese pay calendar) at USD$30 it means you will collect, you hope, USD$5760 before tax each month.

On this basis the contract pays high which likely means there are deductions you don't understand yet. Western educated VNese who find a lucrative gravy train  usually score up to $3,000 per month.

My honest opinion would be Don't quit your day job! You will need a lawyer - a English speaking lawyer who is familiar with VietNam and it's labour laws.

BTW, there is no national health plan for non-VNese citizens.

Finally, Uncle Sam will also want his cut under the new taxation laws. Since the US government has tied banks to reporting US citizens holding bank accounts to the US Embassy it means you will either have to keep cash in the house or bank with a small VN bank who doesn't do business in the USA.