Warm welcome to everyone - just joined Toronto Forum

Hi, I just joined your lively Toronto Forum. Looks like a fantastic place to start to get to know the city. I am originally from Limerick, Ireland and in the (I assume;-) long process of applying to move to Canada. I would appreciate any tips on filling out the many forms. Should I engage a representative to help me? I have read mixed comments about this. Not sure if it makes a difference but I am 47 and a Business IT Manager for the past 10 years. Does that put me into the hard to employ catagory? Not sure. Thanks for any advice, suggestions or just friend requests. Slán go fóill.

Well, the process is definitely very tedious and laborious to fill out all the forms.

Since I was born in Canada, I never personally filled them out for myself. However, I should still know since I applied for my wife's immigration when I got married overseas and bring her here. I did the entire process myself and only got a consultant to give me some advice on things. The result of being thorough was that my wife's sponsorship was approved in only 6 months.

Having said that, if you really are pressed for time and want to move to Canada more quickly then using a lawyer/consultant would be the better way to go. If you have enough spare time and are willing to study, collect information and then fill out all the forms then that will be the better option. You will be saving money that you will pay to the lawyer otherwise.

If there are any specific questions regarding filling out the form, try putting them down here and I will try and answer them for you?

Thanks for the advice. I obviously need to weigh up whether its worth asking a 3rd party to support me compared to doing it myself. I sometimes think the time it takes to brief a representation could be time I could use myself to do some of the tasks. I'll let you know. Appreciate the help. by the way is my age at 47 still fine in Canada to apply for jobs. I am not sure how some employers feel about, how should I put it, mature workers applying for work.

Absolutely. 47 is still pretty young considering many top executives are in their 50s and 60s here.

Just to give you an example, I am 32 years old and in my company I am well below the average age.

Anyhow, what will truly matter is your determination, energy experience and skills that will help you achieve your dream job or business.

Remember, also Canadian government pays for immigrant diploma programs (up to 2 years) to facilitate their career development in Canada (thanks to us tax payers. :-))

Moving to Ontario is a very smart choice since it has the largest Irish community in Canada so you will feel right at home in those local community clubs.

Even here, there are several British people (Scottish, English and Irish) that work in my company here in Calgary and many of them are in the similar age group as you. They are also very active in the local cricket club and represent Calgary at the national level too.

All the best.