Employment in jakarta

halo semuanya, nama saya Sean :) i currently live in new zealand and working my own business as a personal trainer.  my girlfriend is indonesian. i visited jakarta 2 years ago and loved it but was just wondering what are the chances of securing work over there? i visited for 2 months last time and we stayed at kalibata city... i would love to go back and possibly live there (my girlfriends parents live there also) but the one thing im worried about is finding work. i speak a little bit of bahasa (but its getting better! :) so what are my chances of finding work? (i dont really mind what job it is) :)

Sean, the job prospects for foreigners in Indonesia is slim, and it's only going to get worse next year as the ASEAN agreement kicks in.  That agreement will be allowing for a free flow of citizens of ASEAN member countries to move from one country to the other and to be employed.

For a foreigner to be legally employed in Indonesia they have to have unique job skills, job experience or other qualifications which are not otherwise to be found within the Indonesian labor force.

On the other hand, if you wanted to start a new business (say a gym or health club) here in Indonesia, that would be a horse of another color, and you would be able to legally work in your own company. 

Sorry to not sound encouraging, but what's the sense of feeding you with false hope?

Cheers, and good luck!

As a personal trainer, no chance at all.
If your passport shows you as a native speaker of English, there's reasonable chance of a job in a language mill.
However, regardless of how politically correct it may or may not be, schools of all sorts like white native English speakers.
If you fit, you'll should get a lower paid, but not horrible, job as an English teacher. Expect 8 million/month.
If you fit, have a degree and all the trappings, you should be able to get a job in a good school, with about 20 to 30 million/month.

Hi Ubudian can you tell me more on the challenges of starting a new gym in Jakarta for example? Restrictions? Challenges?

Thank you

hello guys sorry for subject irrelevance. i am from qatar looking for recruitment agency in indonesia so that i can contact it since am looking for housemaids and cleaners to recruit for both purposes for companies and houses.

i would really appreciate if you could help me in giving me their contact numbers there in indonesia. please feel free to  reply me here but i prefer contacting me on my email as well.

[email protected]

thank you in advance...

www.google.com is the one I would start with

lukereg wrote:

www.google.com is the one I would start with

:thanks::top: 

No need password Luke ??

no need, its pretty easy to use

lukereg wrote:

no need, its pretty easy to use

:unsure

Hmmm......www.google.com....what to do next??

Add /ncr to keep it from going to the local version.