Health insurance fallback

I'm looking for a health insurance but from what I have found online most of them have negative reviews. Like Cigna which some linked here - on wiki it states: The CNA has determined that Cigna denies roughly 39.6% of all claims (compared to competitors such as Aetna who denied about 5.9% of all claims in the same time frame).

Two denies from every five claims sounds like a lot to me. So if something serious happens and its expensive or requires a longer period of treatment would it be possible to somehow fallback to the state insurance if the private one doesn't pay? Or is it basically if your own insurance won't pay your fu***d?

No you can't 'fallback' on the state insurance if your private one does not pay. So your last sentence is correct -))) That is exactly the reason why health coverage is required when you register for residency.

But you do have the option of paying into the state health system !

Cheers
Ricky

Hi,
I hope you don't mind be jumping into this thread?

Ricky, may I ask how the public healthcare system is considered? I have read very good things about healthcare in Malta (not sure if that related to the private sector though).

My wife and I plan to move to Malta. If we have 'typical' jobs to begin with (office work, bar/restaurant work), if we 'opt in' to the public healthcare, would it be deducted automatically from wages, or do we have to pay into it some other way? And what, if you know, is the cost of that? Also, do most people choose to go private, or is the public healthcare considered adequate?

One last thing, I am British married to a Romanian. I read somewhere that a 'Brit' on holiday in Malta, doesn't require health cover/insurance should the need arise for treatment while on Holiday. Do you know this to be true? And how would it effect my wife, being Romanian?

Sorry for all the questions, thank you very much for any help,
best wishes,

David

drael wrote:

Hi,
I hope you don't mind be jumping into this thread?

Ricky, may I ask how the public healthcare system is considered? I have read very good things about healthcare in Malta (not sure if that related to the private sector though).

My wife and I plan to move to Malta. If we have 'typical' jobs to begin with (office work, bar/restaurant work), if we 'opt in' to the public healthcare, would it be deducted automatically from wages, or do we have to pay into it some other way? And what, if you know, is the cost of that? Also, do most people choose to go private, or is the public healthcare considered adequate?

One last thing, I am British married to a Romanian. I read somewhere that a 'Brit' on holiday in Malta, doesn't require health cover/insurance should the need arise for treatment while on Holiday. Do you know this to be true? And how would it effect my wife, being Romanian?

Hi David,
lots more qualified people than I on here, but my small contribution as follows.

My Mum in Law spent 6 weeks in hospital recently. At least as good as UK .... but then instead of her going to a rehabilitation hospital as was planned she was sent home. (We were told she would never be able to return to her 2nd floor apartment, she is now a prisoner). Maria is out there this week to sort this out and get her moved.

Having said that, we are happy with the care in the hospital.

Regarding health care - as a EU holiday maker I imagine you need your European National Health Card.

Regarding Social Security check this part of a thread we had recently

Also see this post social security costs which does have links to employed people as well as self employed, I think, near the bottom.

another document that might help Your Rights To Social Security in Malta from the European Commission

That's superb,
Thanks very much for the links Matt. Sometimes I get a little lost in the forum, there's a lot of information, and unless I spend time reading every thread, I'm sometime left unsure as to what is/isn't correct.

Sorry to hear the situation with your Mother in Law, I hope something is resolved for her speedily.

Thanks again :-)

ricky wrote:

No you can't 'fallback' on the state insurance if your private one does not pay. So your last sentence is correct -))) That is exactly the reason why health coverage is required when you register for residency.

But you do have the option of paying into the state health system !

Cheers
Ricky

What is about long term problems? Lets say someone gets cancer or something similar requiring a longer period of multiple expensive treatments. If the private insurance doesn't pay would it be possible to switch in x weeks to the state insurance? Would they deny something like that if you have already an insurance or a condition and what if the treatment has already begun?

Yes, they will deny you even if you are willing to pay for several past years arrears ! It happened to an Expat  friend of mine who thought he could slip through as self-employed and un-insured saving money.. Went well .....until he needed surgury . Then the hospital wanted to see cash before surgury ......  they took his passport as safety but he could never pay and get it back.

The private health insurance will pay so there will not be a problem unless ..........  you didn't declare pre-existing conditions and risks. But that is what insurance is about.

If your health is not that good or you think it might get worse while here in Malta make sure you get into the public health system. You can still have affordable private health insurance if you are under 60 years. Over 60 it gets very expensive. Maltese companies don't insure new customers over 60 and refer you to UK companies.

Due to past experiences with hefty health care costs (unpaid) for un-insured foreigners they draw a very thin line. Either you are in or out.

Cheers
Ricky

"If your health is not that good or you think it might get worse while here in Malta make sure you get into the public health system. You can still have affordable private health insurance if you are under 60 years. Over 60 it gets very expensive. Maltese companies don't insure new customers over 60 and refer you to UK companies."

- That's very useful to know. Thank you Ricky

ricky wrote:

Yes, they will deny you even if you are willing to pay for several past years arrears ! It happened to an Expat  friend of mine who thought he could slip through as self-employed and un-insured saving money.. Went well .....until he needed surgury . Then the hospital wanted to see cash before surgury ......  they took his passport as safety but he could never pay and get it back.

The private health insurance will pay so there will not be a problem unless ..........  you didn't declare pre-existing conditions and risks. But that is what insurance is about.

If your health is not that good or you think it might get worse while here in Malta make sure you get into the public health system. You can still have affordable private health insurance if you are under 60 years. Over 60 it gets very expensive. Maltese companies don't insure new customers over 60 and refer you to UK companies.

Due to past experiences with hefty health care costs (unpaid) for un-insured foreigners they draw a very thin line. Either you are in or out.

Cheers
Ricky

Ok thanks, but from what I found online the public health care is only available for employed or self employed people so it doesn't seem to be an option for me at the moment unless I would fake to do some self employed work here. Or is the employment requirement part incorrect?

It is not about employment but about income from ...... for example investments or any other source. You also do not need to have to be paying taxes on your income if you earning less than the threshhold . You just declare an income (previous year) and pay for your SSC number 3 times a year at Floriana or even online. You have your SSC number and the receipt that you have paid contributions.

I can't imagine that you live in Malta without any income at all?

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

It is not about employment but about income from ...... for example investments or any other source. You also do not need to have to be paying taxes on your income if you earning less than the threshhold . You just declare an income (previous year) and pay for your SSC number 3 times a year at Floriana or even online. You have your SSC number and the receipt that you have paid contributions.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

Is it a fixed amount payable or a dependent % on income? And SSC? - is that purely for healthcare or does it include anything else? (for example dentists/optitians)

Thank you,

David

Check out the website for details:

http://www.ird.gov.mt/services/sscrates.aspx#2011

Dental and optics are not included ( only emergency treatment).

The rate increases from 26.55  to 53.08  per week depending in your income.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Ok, thanks for the clarification and help.

At the moment I live completely from money I have on the side. The original plan before getting here was different but circumstances changed. My apartment runs for one year and I don't know yet how I will progress. Its possible I will take a job abroad or get self employed when its worthwile again. But I need still the insurance to stay and I don't want a crappy one that was why I asked.

Hi David,,
I can say a little bit about the health  service here, at least in Gozo. Since the end of April I've had numerous tests done incl.  some surgery. ( ECG, x rays, blood tests,  ultra sound, echo test, stress test,  and cat scan)  The  public facilities,  like waiting room, suck, but the  medical facilities, incl the doctors , are first class. better than in the US and in Germany. As to the cost, it's quite strange. I do have private insurance from Germany  and all my expenses are covered. the only bill I have received were  for 2 emergency visits in April  with ECG and  that came to 150 Euros. When I  gave them my insurance papers for the surgery, they told me,  you live here, so don't worry..
Hope this info helps

I can certainly second what ursulasaulie stated. As I found out last year when I had a heart issue. My only concern is that, to me, I believe I have been over prescribe with preventative medication. All the medical staff were/are wonderful!  :top: My wife and I are very grateful to them.