Moving to Helsinki in August!

Moi! :) My name is Brittany and I am a young professional working and living in New York City. I am planning to move to Helsinki at the end of August with my fiance who is a Finnish citizen. I'm very excited to move to Finland and experience the culture! Currently, I am working as a Media Strategist for an advertising agency in NYC and am interested in finding similar work in Finland. Any advice on the advertising industry here or the interviewing processes? I am hoping my permanent residency will not take too long so I am able to insert myself into the Finnish culture as soon as possible! Also, any advice on getting started in Finland? Thanks!  :D

Hi Brittany,

Welcome to Expat.com ;)

Armand
Expat.com Team

Hey!

I know a few people who work here in marketing/advertising/media etc,so feel free to get in touch and I might be able to point you in the direction of some companies/people.

I moved here 14 months ago from the UK and it's been tough! Some of my experiences can be found on my site/blog: www.stephenpenny.com - my contact info is also on there if you want to get in touch.

Steve

Dear Brittany,

Nice welcome to Finland-Helsinki, this city is comparatively less expensive as compared to Stockholm and lot of cheap stuff you may find with old second hand shops (if you want to save euros :))
Secondly I can wish you best of luck for your professional career (you didn't tell your profession, even). to find a job in any new place, always takes time and it may also work if you proceed with personal references and contacts. I hope your fiance may help in this regard,
Secondly I recommend you to learn Finnish (If you are intended to stay for longer period). Learning a language will always helpful and it opens many opportunities and share views with local people.

Again welcome to this peaceful country :)

Inam/
Helsinki.

Hei

I think your fiance who is a Finnish citizen may have a lot to tell you.... right.
In winter, which is very long, Finland is very cold it reaches -10 Fahrenheit (°F)
about -23  Celsius (°C).

So be prepared
Good Luck

hei hei
näkemiin