Bringing items by plane

I need some input on this. I've read a lot about the Brazil import taxes and I read how you can take $500 worth of items as "gifts" when you fly into Brazil.

Here's my situation:

I'm an American coming to Brazil on a tourist vista. I'm bring a decent amount of electronics with me (projector, laptop, game system, bluetooth speaker, iphone) and a few odd items (5 blackout shades and a projector screen)

Everything is for my own personal use, I have no plan to sell anything.

What are the chances I get harassed at the airport for this?

And am I actually supposed to pay a fee for this stuff?

Hi cupofjoe,

I've been in and out of GIG for awhile now.  But first order of business is where are you coming into?  SP or Rio?

GIG (Rio) inspectors are usually quite understanding if there are no duplicate items.  Meaning you multiple items will raise questions.  Also anything new in box will generally be questioned.

If items are obviously used, and no duplication they will normally let it go.

Cheers.

I'm flying into Manaus.

Everything is used.

Last time i flew into SP my bags weren't even checked. I'm hoping for a similar experience.

Well I don't know about Manaus.  So maybe William can help shed some light?

You shouldn't have any real problems at any airport in Brazil if your items are declared for personal use and you state that you are bringing them into Brazil for strictly personal use. If the items are not obviously brand new and if they're not still in the box unopened you should be fine. It was a long while since I came in with all my stuff by plane, but nothing was ever even looked at. I had made a detailed list of what I had, estimated values and the age of most items. I think the guy spent all of about 15 seconds looking at it and sent me on my way.

I don't know how picky they are these days with all the high-tech electronics items that seem to be so popular, but I know Braziians that bring in tons of that stuff from trips to Miami every year and never pay a centavo in duty.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Yeah, I'll probably be listing the items as personal items. The temptation is to not list anything, but the risk and cost of being caught is too much.

I just hope that showing my cards won't bite me in the -ss