Looking for advices :)

Hi everyone!

I'm a 20 years old french student, and I'll be in Chicago next week until August!
I've already looking on website but it's quite different than France so I had difficulties to understand how it works. Could someone tell me the best plans for mobile phone without including internet (minimum 1Go data per month), without any annual contract.
Concerning the transport, I think I need to get a ventracard : CTA/Pace 30-Day Pass which is $100.00, is that right ?
If you have any other advice to tell me do not hestitate, I've never been to the States before!

Thank you  :)

Hi Lemery!

Thats great that youll be studying in Chicago this summer! Im from Chicago and am currently living just outside the city center. Its a great city - youll love it!

I actually just got back from Montpellier, where I was living and working for three months, so I know how difficult it can be to research cell phone plans as a foreigner! In the U.S., the main carriers are AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile. All companies have pay-as-you-go (pre-paid, no contract) options. If you already have a compatible/unlocked phone, you can just buy a SIM card for use with that phone. Otherwise, you can buy a cheap/basic pay-as-you-go phone.

Ive listed the basic pay-as-you-go plans below, and as you can see, it can be quite complicated! So I would recommend waiting until you arrive in Chicago and then going to any Target store (Target is kind of like Monoprix but also has an electronics department). At Target you can buy a cheap, pre-packaged, pay-as-you-go phone that comes with a SIM card and some credit. Then you can activate the SIM card online and re-charge it online as necessary. The salespeople at Target can also help you set it up.

Keep in mind that in the U.S., you usually pay for texts that you send AND texts that you receive.

Again, if you want to use your own phone in the U.S., make sure it is unlocked (not under contract with a carrier in France) and works with the U.S. company (you can check compatibilty by searching for your cell phone model on the U.S. companys website).

Regarding public transportation, yes - you do need a Ventra card. If you use a Ventra card for a single ride, it costs $2.25 (transfers within 2 hours are either free or $0.25). So if you plan to use the train/bus more than once per day, it makes sense to get the 30-day pass ($100). If you just want to pay as you go, you can buy the Ventra card (at CTA stations or some Walgreens stores) and recharge it as needed. The Ventra card costs $5 but when you register the card online, that $5 is transferred to travel credit.

I hope this helps! I know that it can be stressful when you first arrive in a new country. Chicago is a big city, but the people are very nice and helpful! It is also very walk-able. When I lived downtown, I walked everywhere.

If you have any questions about anything at all, just let me know. I would also be happy to accompany you to Target/phone store/CTA station to help you buy a phone and Ventra card. Ou on peux juste prendre un café, si tu veux!  ;0)

Best of luck,
Kate

PHONE PLANS =

at&ts option is called gophone. here is the link to the different plans:
att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html

if you dont need data, the cheapest plans are:
$25/month for 250 voice minutes and unlimited SMS/MMS
$2/day (only on days you use the phone to make a call - including to voicemail - or send a message) and unlimited voice/SMS/MMS
or
pay-per-use, which costs .10/minute for voice, .20/texts (sent & received) in US, .25/texts (sent & received) outside US

here are verizons prepaid plans:
verizonwireless.com/prepaid/pay-as-you-go/
(once there, click on the red "view plan details" button)

$1.99/day (only on days you use the phone to make a call), unlimited calls, .02/SMS, .25/MMS
.99/day (only on days you use the phone to make a call), unlimited calls to other Verizon users, .10/min for calls, .10/SMS, and .25/MMS
or
pay-per-use which is .25/min for calls, .20/SMS, and .25/MMS

and Sprint:
sprint.com/landings/prepaid/
$35 for 500 voice minutes and unlimited SMS/MMS

and T-Mobile:
prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Hi!
Thank you very much for your answer! It was really helpful!!
I'll tell you when I'll be in Chicago if I need any help to buy the ventracard or for the phone, but I'll be very glad to have a drink or a coffee with you!! :)
We keep in touch !

See you soon ;)

Sounds good! Safe travels. :0)

Just keep in mind that you can't get any good pizza in Chicago.