Companies willing to hire foreigners and sponsor the work permit

Hi all,

in 2 weeks I will be moving from Europe to Kuala Lumpur to live with my boyfriend who is local.
I have been looking for a job on the official channels (online portals, recruitments agencies..) focusing on my role but haven't been so successful, and I have learned and been told that regardless of my competences (Master's degree , 5 languages and 7 years experience) my problem is being a foreigner.

I have recently understood that the best alternative is networking and getting directly to companies with specific features that are used to hire foreigners.

To anyone who has lived the same experience, I'd like to ask you for some suggestion on the best ways/areas to meet foreigners in KL and a way to know which companies/industry field are more used/need to hire foreigners and willing to process the work permit requests. Any experience on this is more than welcome.

Thank you very much!

Can you suggest me plz, I am in KL now

hi!just asking if what  kind of bussiness u want to build up?at what r the qualification,im jennifer from phillipine,recently live and working here in kl  as housemaid,but i got some expirience in different jobs,like,sales clerk in mall,receptionist in spa,and bar n restaurant server,as off now,im still working with my pressent employer who under my permit,but they r moving to singgapore this year n they ask me to find another job,thanks and godbless tp your new bussiness

LuciaKL wrote:

](Master's degree , 5 languages and 7 years experience) my problem is being a foreigner.

Can you tell us what you have a Master's in and also what field your 7 years experience is in? This is very important to know if we're gonna be able to help you.

CKT wrote:

Can you tell us what you have a Master's in and also what field your 7 years experience is in? This is very important to know if we're gonna be able to help you.

Thanks for the reply.
My major is Foreign Languages (I am Italian), and I have been working in Supply Chain as coordinator, project manager and SAP functional analyst. I worked in the food Industry but I could also move to other Industry fields.

Probably language teaching in one of the language schools will be one of the only avenues open to you. You just have to shop around and contact them all.

Your boyfriend is probably the best person to network on your behalf. However, the minimum salary to get an employment pass is RM5k per month and with the average wage still about RM3.5 per month, the options are probably going to be narrow. If you do contact any of the language schools, ensure that they are prepared to sponsor the work permit, as many just don't do that because they are either not large enough organisations, or they do not have enough paid up capital in the company to qualify to hire foreigners. Unfortunately, because the region has a lot of poverty, there are many foreign workers that take up the casual and service jobs, so they are not even likely to be available. It is a bit of a catch 22 in Malaysia. Companies ask if you have a work permit so they can consider offering you a job. This is because the spouses of Malaysians can more easily apply for a work permit and companies are often only interested in hiring people who have a legitimate reason for being in Malaysia.

Hi actually you have a very good chance of getting a job. Right age and quake with experience in an in demand area with sap experience. I am not saying easy. You won't get something sitting around but get looking and jobs are there. I have a friend who is 23 Vietnamese and works in supply management. Salary well over 5k min for an expat. She is very go getting and that is what expats need anyway. I knew a guy here ten users ago no degree got a good supply management job as he played football and networked well. That is important of course.

Forget language teaching pay is rubbish!

(Moderated: please post in the jobs section)

IT companies,engineers,doctors or lecturers

You could try Applusvelosi

http://www.applusvelosi.com/en/contactu … r=Malaysia

Hello Lucia,

Please forward me your CV, I can try to help applying

PM in case you re interested

Best luck

Hello everyone.
I kept on searching for a job/employer that will hire me as welder/maintenance. I gain 3 years experience in welding. Is anyone out there that can help or recommend me because I really want to work anywhere in Malaysia or in any country that has a job offer. This job is very important to me.
Hoping that someone can help me.
email: [email protected]
mobile;
+639076096874

Thank you and God Bless you all.

Hi Lucia,

My company is hiring and you have what we are looking for. Send me your CV or PM me for more information.

Thanks.

Nelson 247, Unfortunately welding jobs come under the immigration rules where companies cannot hire foreigners.

Extract from Immigration Website re Welding

APPENDIX C
LIST OF SECTORS THAT ARE NOT ALLOWED/ ENCOURAGED TO APPLY FOR EXPATRIATE POSTS UNDER THE JURISDICTION OF THE CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY DEVELOPMENT BOARD MALAYSIA (CIDB)

No.               Post
(Mechanical & Electrical)
Welding
29. SMAW 1G Welder
30. FCAW (SS) Pipe/Plate -1G &3G Welder
31.GTAW (CS) Pipe -6G & 3G Welder
32.FCAW (GS) Pipe/Plate -6G Welder
33.SMAW (CS) Pipe/Plate -6G & 3G Welder
34.GTAW (CS) Pipe -6G & 3G Welder
35.GT+SMAW (CS) Pipe -6G Welder
36.SMAW (CS) Pipe/Plate - 3G Welder
37.GTAW (CS) Pipe/Plate -6G & 3G Welder
38.Welding Inspector

Good Day Gravitas i really want to work in Malaysia,even though welder is not hiring, any could you help me for that matter i could work not only in welding, a factory worker, house maintenance, security guards, janitor cook,raider any other possible  job offer with available in sponsoring,
i can be  reached @
mobile:+639076096874
email:[email protected]
skype ID:nelsonb247

Thank you & more power
Nelson

Good Day! thank you for reading my message, its a great opportunity for me and i really appreciated it, Gravitas i really want to work in Malaysia,even though welder is not hiring, any could you help me for that matter i could work not only in welding, a factory worker, house maintenance,construction worker, security guards, janitor cook,raider any other possible  job offer with available in sponsoring,
i can be  reached @
mobile:+639076096874
email:nelsonbautista247[at]gmail.com
skype ID:nelsonb247

Thank you & more power
Nelson

Security Guards can only be Malaysians and sometimes Nepalese ex police or servicemen.

This website may help you to network. http://www.philembassykl.org.my/filcom.htm#A.

There are lots of people from the Philippines working in Malaysia as it is one of the countries that is part of the Foreign Worker scheme here. Networking is the best way to get work, so you are doing the right thing by using Expat-Blog.

In Malaysia, foreign workers can be employed in the manufacturing, construction, plantation, agricultural, services and domestic help sector.

Services sector consists of eleven sub sectors: (restaurant, cleaning services, cargo handling, launderette, caddy in golf club, barber, wholesale/retail, textile, metal/scraps/recycle activities, welfare homes and hotel/resort island). Approval is based on the merits of each case and subject to conditions that will be determined from time to time. Applications to employ foreign workers will only be considered when efforts to find qualified local citizens and permanent residents have failed.

Only nationals from the specified countries (•Indonesia, •Cambodia, •Nepal, •Myanmar, •Laos, •Vietnam, •Philippines (male only), •Pakistan, •Sri Lanka, •Thailand, •Turkmenistan, •Uzbekistan, •Kazakhstan,( •India - limited types of jobs permitted).

Hi! i pursue my application weather its in manufacturing,construction, gargo handling & services i can do anything in job just to work work there, any way thank you gravitas for the reply  and hope you can help me about this matter

In KL there are always jobs in the F&B Industry. The pay is about RM1,000 per month (plus tip). A maid earns a bit more basic salary. Some of the international pre-schools  in the KLCC/Bukit Bintang area may be interested in hiring a Filipina who has experience in education. e.g. klkidsclub.com

What I have seen is that IT and medical field professionals are easily hired in Malaysia. Me and my 5 friends came in the span of 6 month of time on IT basis. All of them are in different companies.

thank you! sir, i maybe work in food and Beverages, anyway thank you for reading my message if have some job offer that qualify me don't hesitate to contact me. again thank you

Hello All,
After reading trough all the post above I must say it looks challenging to find a job in Malaysia. So it's best to get a spouse visa and then your job chances will increase?
I was wondering if you could give me some advice on job hunting in Malaysia.

I am currently in a long distance relationship and I wish to end this by moving to Kuala Lumpur or finding a job for my girlfriend in my home country The Netherlands.  Since I'll be in Kuala Lumpur for a holiday in November I wanted to visit a couple of head-hunters to get to know the market better and find out how realistic my chances of success are.
In my home country it is very common to find work either via the internet of trough a head-hunter.

Do any of you perhaps have any good websites (I only know jobstreet and monster.my right now) and or recruitment agency's I could try ?

I have a bachelors degree in Public Management and have over 4 years of experience as a  Client manager within a Energy Supplier. My task included cross-selling and up-selling, giving advice to companies in relation to energy needs and answering questions, and participating in a retention desk. The customers were medium to corporate sized companies. Before that I also worked 2 years as a quality manager within the government. I have been trained to have strong communication and interpersonal skills and I'm looking for a commercial job.

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Kees

thankz  keesdew, it so hard to find job, i need some body to help me is there somebody any kind of job

Kees try Michael Page and Robert Walters websites. They sometimes have jobs for foreigners. The best way is to approach potential employers directly and keep an eye on their websites for vacancies.

A dependents visa is only issued to married couples, or very occasionally to couples who are the same nationality and come from countries where they have bee cohabiting on a long-term basis.

If you are thinking of marrying a Malaysian, it is not a lot easier to get job. The first hurdle is that the government is making it very difficult as they are trying and cut down on the number of marriages of convenience that are taking place. This means a person married to a Malaysian cannot apply for a work permit until 6 months (1 year for some nationalities) after they have arrived in Malaysia and registered their marriage on arrival.  The six months also has to be continuous residence.

Jobs for foreigners are becoming more scarce as the Government is supporting increasing the earnings of Malaysians and creating a larger middle class workforce. Not many companie have permission to hire foreigners as they need a certain amount of paid up capital to do so.

What about expats with Psychology degrees? Any companies are interested in hiring? Or perhaps are allowing internship?

Psychology no way. I met a freelance one who came where as had a Malaysian Chinese gf. He lasted a year as couldn't survive here.

In my experience and lots of others who done the same as a foreign male with a local gf the male has three choices.

1. Get qualified in an in demand area and have 5 years experience (oil and gas, education, doctor, IT (but salaries so low now) or supply chain management). That is basically a long tern strategy.

2. Take Malaysian gf somewhere else eg own country but often means marriage as she will have permit issues and same work issues

3. Get new gf

Often 3 is easier! And less painful long term. Harsh advice but true advice many men wish they had heeded! Obviously it works best if both partners have international jobs as in 1 so both can work anywhere.

To All

My name is Nadir Ahmad,  I am a belizean, Belize Central America,an presently I am in Malaysia for 2 days now. The reason for my trip is basically to upgrade my profession as an Agronomy Engineer. A graduate of UNAH, Havana Cuba 2007, I have worked in different areas within agricultural field.  My question is Sir, whats the probability of working in Malaysia  or within the agricultural field as an expat

I consider my trip to be of scientific  growth, with in the Sustainability Indicators of Agriculture, Biodiversity, Agro-Ecosystems etc.. I am an Agronomy Engineer.

Regards

Nadir Ahmad

Agronomy Engineer, Agro-Ecosystems

Hi, I'm a Filipino who is staying and working here in Malaysia for 10 years already. Is there any chance or possibility to apply for PR here?

Hi

I am in Malaysia for the last 4 years and My education background is from IT. I have ended up working in call centers as  a CSR Agent and even if I wish to join and IT firm its a total disappointment. I have completed my Masters in Information Technology from UNITAR MALAYSIA. I would like some help regarding getting a better opportunity and a better approach to advance my career ahead.

Will be looking forward to IT.

Thanks

Yousaf

Hi to be straight to the point (I always am) employees look for foreign skills. Why I hire some one with a local masters on 5k min with no experience when I can get a local  on 3k with same degree and more experience? Also Malaysian degrees are considered lower than foreign. ( Indian degrees are considered better)  so an Indian with an Indian IT degree and experience is more valuable for the money.

What you need to do is look more widely and get a job anywhere if you can. Being country specific is hard especially if it is Malaysia as an expat.

Also it is possible that employers see you working long term in a call centre and shy away. It is natural as why?? It is the pre selection effect (psychological) same with women who prefer men naturally who have a gf (!) as preselected, employees prefer those preselected for good jobs. Call centre work is considered very bad in Malaysia from what I have heard.

The collapse in the rm helps you a bit though as Indian IT workers may decide to pack up and leave! And salaries will increase.

How about trying your current employer? Same company different role?

Hi

I have tried but in vain. Its not that i don't have experience in my field. I have worked 8 years in my field but since coming to Malaysia for educational purpose then even having work experience I am still unable to find a good job. all that counts i reference here what i have come through.

Keep trying, keep looking! Don't give up!
Present yourself with high  confidence. Don't let ur interviewer see that ur worried one bit.  Let me tell u a secret.... it is all about how u present urself. Insult them a little and they would be curious of  how good u really are, they will let u in for a challenge!  I've been there so I know!

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Drop cv resume in Jobs section

Hi,

If you have sales or IT background, you can send your resume to me at: [email protected]

hi! i,m nelson from philippines with background in sales marketing, &  Direct Sales Supervisor

I recently got an email from Malaysia for a job I am nervous but very interested. I want to get to know Malaysia first. Kuala Lumpur specifically.

not everybody is happy for me. it seems like a dream to most. but every time I check my email its a reality check

I would send you a picture but cant see a thing as haze in second month and bad. Two more months predicted.

I have to stop to cough lungs up!

Hi, i have graduated from Lincoln University College Malaysia and obtained Bsc of Hospitality Management. I have 3-5 years of working in F&B line. I would like to further my stay in Malaysia and find a better opportunity. Anyone has any information of any direct hiring company.

Thank you.