Visa invitation question

Hi,

I'm planning on driving my car from Budapest to Mongolia (entering from the west through Russia) this summer.  Since I'm a US citizen, I don't have a visa concern.  My uncle (Polish) and his son (Hungarian) are coming with me. We attempted this trip last year and they secured visas easily at the Mongolian embassy in Budapest.  Unfortunately, I had car issues midway through the trip and never even got close, so I returned to Budapest with car.

This year, planning to do the same thing, my uncle and cousin just went to the Mongolian embassy and were told they needed a letter of invitation.  When they pointed to the visa from last year, the consul told them that it was inappropriately given to them by the representative at that time.  So my uncle went to a Budapest travel agency that claims to be able to make such arrangments (this was today) and when the agent went to the consul and explained we would be coming by car (100% my car, not theirs), the consul said that in that case the letter of invitation must also include that the Mongolian issuing the letter of invitation taking responsibility for my uncle and cousin.

Does this sound correct - or has something changed in the last year?  Can anyone give me a recommendation for getting a standard letter of invitation?

Thanks for any tips or insights,
Csaba (writing from Washington, DC)

Wow, it's hard to imagine a US citizen not knowing the way that immigrations works in the world around them, when the US INS is so demanding with following the rules.

Just as in the USA a "Letter of Invitation" for the purpose of obtaining a visa carries with it certain onerous legal (civil and criminal) and financial obligations.

First of all, the individual who issues the letter must either be a citizen of the country or a permanent resident.

Then there must be some demonstrable familial relationship or long-standing friendship, which any immigration authority will be looking to confirm. Letters of Invitation aren't just issued to total strangers and if they are they're fraudulent.

Also the person issuing the letter must act as guarantor that a) the invitee will actually leave the country at the end of the visa stay and could be held criminally responsible if this does not happen; b) guarantee financial sufficiency of the invitee or to support him/her during the entire stay to prevent any reliance on social assistance in the country.

It is exactly for this reason that a Letter of Invitation is only given by a family member or close personal friend. Anyone offering to "sell" you or arrange a Letter of Invitation for you is committing a crime (Immigration Fraud) and if you use such a letter you are also involved in the same offense.

Any omissions or false information on a Letter of Invitation is a serious offense that will result in refusal of the visa and possibly prohibit any future visa applications, they can also result in criminal charges.

Just contact INS and find out what THEY do in such cases!

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

William,

You seem to be addressing a case where one individual from out of the country is going to visit an individual in the country.  However, we are coming as tourists, and this was clearly stated in the communications at the Mongolian embassy.  This is for an under one month visit, and not about immigration.

Allow me a question - what kind of Visa your relatives asked for? Tourist visa for Shengen citizen should be quite easy, but other visa types are difficult or imposible. And everything exceeding 30 days is VERY difficult then your guys definitively need help from inside of Mongolia.

And these invitations need an approval first, from ministery of foreign affairs in Mongolia etc which basically means it takes a month or two.

Anyway when the Mongolian embassy or Consul want some papers then there is no way around. Get them in time or your relatives won't be able to obtain the visa.

Hi Csaba,

This does not sound completely correct. 
An LOI is required for a business visa to Mongolia. 
A tourist visa normally must be accompanied by an itinerary showing arrival and departure dates and either a letter from a tour company if you'll be on an organized tour, or a cover letter explaining your travel arrangements - however the consul can certainly request other supporting documents.  If the consul is asking for an LOI for your relatives tourist visas, you may consider working with a tourist company in Mongolia - they commonly do provide letters.

Additionally, your relatives may not need a visa - they can come as tourists for 30 days through the end of 2015 - press release at:
http://www.mfa.gov.mn/index.php?option= … 〈=en

I'd think about confirming that the border crossings on both sides of the borders you're planning to use both in and out of the country will allow foreigners to cross, that they'll recognize your visa free status and that they'll be open.

Cheers,

Kevin