July 4th - Americans in Hungary

I read somewhere that 3.8 % of the population of Hungary is American.  Assuming there are roughly 10 million people living in the country, and my math calculations are correct, that means a lot of folks out there right now, in their backyards and on their balconies, celebrating 4th July Independence Day.

There has to be an explanation for such a large number of stars and stripes celebrations today.  I sometimes wonder if there are a lot of Americans in Hungary who are dual nationals, having left the country during the many upheavals like 56 and 89 for a new life in the States, returning later to rediscover their heritage, to resume a former life.  Maybe it's just second and third generation family, curious to find out about the old country.  I wonder also, when the sun finally sets over the Danube tonite, will there be any red white and blue fireworks?

I think the entire population of Hungary is swimming in Balaton (dual nationals or otherwise) due to the 30 deg C heat. It's very quiet this Sunday afternoon.

I don't have any real idea of numbers of foreigners or dual nationals living here. Someone once told me there were over 10,000 British people here but I think that is a must be a gross overestimate.

My own personal and ad-hoc experience is that most Hungarians with dual nationality are also either: German, Austrian or Canadian. I don't recall meeting any dual national Americans at all. Must be some out there judging by the occasional car I see - usually with Florida number plates!

I guess the US contingent could be having a BBQ today as coincidentally it's a Sunday but I haven't seen anything special going on for 4 July.

The big day here will be 20 August (St Stephens Day - National Day of Hungary - put your flags out). It's also the usual Red Bull Air Race (sold out as usual!!).

I don't know where you get your stats from, but that 4% is more likely the ratio of Americans over all foreigners...

Nevertheless, my daughter is a dual citizen, and the whole family was in fact splashing around in the Balaton the whole week :-)

szocske wrote:

..... the whole family was in fact splashing around in the Balaton the whole week :-)

Ah, now, Mrs Fluffy and the Fluffyettes were doing that today as I was busy. But I'm doing the Balaton splash thing Monday (tomorrow) and Tuesday. I sincerely hope it will not be as busy. Mrs Fluffy said it was majorly busy today.

We were in a karate training camp doubling as our summer holiday, in a less hyped area of Balaton: Balatongyorok. Acceptable prices, less crowded beach.

szocske wrote:

We were in a karate training camp doubling as our summer holiday, .....

Karate? Are you sure it was a holiday?

fluffy2560 wrote:

Had to be, we can't afford a separate one :-)
The 6 hours training each day made the 6 hours splashing only that much more satisfying.

fluffy wrote:

I think the entire population of Hungary is swimming in Balaton (dual nationals or otherwise) due to the 30 deg C heat.

That explains a thing or two.  I was wondering where everyone had got to.  Not much fun going to the beach where I live, what with the different color tides and freezing waters.

Mrs Fluffy and the Fluffyettes !  What a great name for a girl grunge band !  Did you copyright that yet, fluffy ?

Hope to be back in brokecrown country in time for August 20 celebrations on the Danube.  I love watching those stunts pilots fly under the downtown bridges, and then the fireworks in the evening!

Don't forget Craftsmens' Street (Mestersegek Utcaja) up in the Castle, the largest assembly of traditional, folk, artsy, craftsy, and handmade stuff of the year!
The place to buy your clothes, shoes, dishes, ornaments, jewelry etc unless you want mass produced Chinese stuff.

Aug 20 is definitely the day to see Budapest unless you mind the heat and the crowd.

Probably should have started a new thread.

logger wrote:

Mrs Fluffy and the Fluffyettes !  What a great name for a girl grunge band !  Did you copyright that yet, fluffy ?

Maybe I should!

szocske wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Had to be, we can't afford a separate one :-)
The 6 hours training each day made the 6 hours splashing only that much more satisfying.

I know the feeling - holidays are expensive. I was playing 5-a-side football yesterday down at the beach. It was blowing an absolute gale and the temperature dropped suddenly. If you went in the water for a swim, you got freeze dried on the way out.  The only people really enjoying it were the windsurfers. Weather in HU used to be so dependable with excellent summers and 30 C all the time. What happened to the weather?! Global warming?