Moving to Montenegro

I've got some kind of specific questions about living in Montenegro. If anyone wants to help me out, that would be awesome. The internet, while still a fount of information, isn't as specific as I'd like for it to be.  I've been looking in the Budva area mostly, it looks nice to me.

Firstly, do you need a college/University degree of any sort to be employed? If so, what is the best type of degree to have (Bachelor, Masters, Doctorate?)?

Secondly, if you don't need a degree, are there any types of jobs that a person could do and make a living on?
(I'm talking like a small apartment, one person, possibly a cat, international calling, internet)

Thirdly, where are some awesome places to live in Montenegro?  Any cities in particular that would be more affordable than others?

Fourthly, would a 20 year old be "safe" living alone/with a cat in Montenegro?

Any other advice/tips on living in Montenegro?

I'm trying to convince my dad that it's a good idea to let me live in Montenegro. I find I'm not happy in the US and from all the research I've done (loads), Montenegro seems to fit my lifestyle, or at least I think it will.

Hey there!
You wouldn't really need a degree, but some knowledge of Serbian language might be very useful...
The difficult thing here is that medium wages are rather low (around 400 EUR/month) and finding cheap accomodation is not so easy...
But possible.
There are a few international companies setting up businesses here, so you might be able to find a job with a higher salary there.
I don't see why there would be any problem for a 20 y.o. person to come and live here with a cat (by the way there a thousands of cats here!), and there are a lot of young people here (more than in western Europe I reckon) studying tourism or maritim studies on the coast. Kotor is a very lively place to live in for a young woman.
I hope it helped!

Depends on what you'd like to work.

Since your English must be better than anyone's who learned it in school, you might get some job as translator (but learn Serbian first) or smth. where English is needed (doing business with foreign companies). Working in tourism requires only a brain (foreign languages are 'plus'), so, you can get there.
Don't be scared of wages, because, prices are similar. Low.

Awesomeness, also depends on what you like - sea, or mountains, or lakes, or rivers... I'm from the coast, it has lots of scenic places, it's beautiful. The coast is some 100-200km long, the Country is 100km from north to south (through the air, not on the roads :)), so, every destination is close (compared to US sizes and distances :)).

As for 'more affordable' part - if apartments in Budva aren't, try those in other towns in Budva's municipality (it stretches some 30km through the coast, and has some 10 small towns - I'm from one of them).

A lot of people from USA ask "is it safe", are there "gang territories", etc. when coming in Europe. If these are your worries - don't have them. There aren't such things over here. Socially acceptable? 'Lone 20yo girl? Sure. No worries. It's not Saudi Arabia :D

Ask more, I'd like to help.

How about schools/education in Montenegro? Are there english spoken schools? If i move with 11 year old who speaks only English, would he have a possibility to study in Montenegro?

English schools? Like English is spoken on all classes? Very unlikely.

For something like that, you'd need to have a considerable English/Irish?Scottish/Yankie community somewhere, so the government would organize something like that for them.

There is a lot of new citizens from Russia, on the coast, around Budva for example, and their kids got a Russian classroom in local school.

He could ask for private lessons and private teachers, who would translate books for kids his age to English.. but that's no good education IMHO. He better start learning basics of Serbian language (locally known as "Montenegrin language"), so he could follow classes somehow.

Or, sign him to some, school on distance.. whatever the name for that is.. lots of Ozzy kids go through such "schools" because they live far away from schools (back in Oz). That way, he could follow school system of his home country, on distance, if there is something like that, at your place.

Dear Sonata,

As far as I am aware, there are 2 international schools.
Check here: International Schools in Montenegro

The QSI in Podgorica and the Knightsbridge in Tivat.

The QSI in Podgorica is a non-for-profit organization, however the one in Tivat is apparently very expensive (around a thousand euros per months...).

The QSI is from 5 to 13 year old, so it should leave anough time for your child to learn the local language!

Cheers,
Carine

Am planning to relocate to Montenegro, possibly early 2011.

As such, I need an apartment to fulfill residence/work permit application requirements. Ideally I would like to rent for 3 to 6 months to fulfill requirements and give myself time to look around roperly for something I'd really wanna live in, and where..

Does anyone have any advice on how and where to source such an apartment? A 'holiday' apartment but on a longer term lease would suffice (but without the 'holiday' price, I hope;)).

Cheers ... M

Hi zavood! I suggest you to start your own discussion on the Montenegro forum. Thank you.

not sure what you mean, it seems a relevant topic.

Are there any good IB school in Montenegro (Podgorica)?
Age of my kids is 13 and 7.
Can someone guide me to any site which can give me details of the schooling in Montenegro?

Not sure about PG.
There is Knighsbridge school in Tivat,
Arkadia also in Tivat.
Cheers.

First of all thanks for quick response.

I see CSI in Podgorica. From the web not sure about how good this is.
qsi.org/mtg

Hows is Knighsbridge?

If by IB you mean "international Baccalaureate" I think only Knighsbridge offers this. Yes there is indeed QSI in PG. I think these are the only 3 international schools in Montenegro. The best would be to contact them direclty!
Cheers!

Ajaybh wrote:

First of all thanks for quick response.

I see CSI in Podgorica. From the web not sure about how good this is.
qsi.org/mtg

Hows is Knighsbridge?

you can find work here with a degree maybe teaching english at an international school or appy for job at one of us companies yes is this true freedom 100 percent tell your dad dont worry montenegrins are good ppl and crime rate is very low here they usually don't commit crime in their  homeland  :lol:

@ docperic > Thank you for this sharing of information, however this is just to inform you that this thread is very old ( 2010)

Thanks

Priscilla :)