Cultural Differences in the Balkans

Hi as a former professor of cultural and physical geography and now 10 year veteran of European living and having been in 57 countries on 6 continents and three oceans, I have developed some personal opinions based upon studies and personal observations - hopefully not too American-ethnocentric. The Balkans are really more unique than the rest of Europe, and each of them is even more unique from each other. Thousands of years of conquest, occupation, and imposed religions of 7-10 different foreign powers and ethnic tribes have definitely had their effects on the people and their mixed cultures of today.  It is interesting that the people of these political states on this fragmented peninsula all disclaim any remaining Turkish influence but you can definitely hear it in their folk music, in the beautiful oxidental faces of the women, in the sweet desserts, personal hospitality for strangers, etc.

Welcome Ironmikie!

I hope you'll share your great experience with us :)

Is Bosnia i Herzegovina your favourite country?

Don't forget to locate yourself on the user map ;)

Take care,

Julien

Yay!! Thanks Mike for your wonderful brief summary of the Balkans!!
Not many of your fellow Americans have a) any idea about this region other than what they have been spoon fed on CNN and b) have as much appreciation for this region and its diversity, culture, heritage, history and landscapes as they do for anything that isnt stamped (Made in the Good ol' US of A)
Thanks for sharing :-)

We just finished a 4 year stint in Ljbuljana.  While we are not part of the Balkans, we do have a lot of your country men up here.  The warmth and hospitality of the region is wonderful and the food...fabulous.  Much better than Slovene or Austrian.  I especially adore Bosnian food.

I share with you my interest for Balkans. Im triying to learn as much as possible of its history.

I began being interested in the zone after living one year in Slovenia. I know it's not Balkans exactly but I traveled sometimes to Croatia, the most close I have been to Balkans

Regards

I want to tell too that all you are invited to visit my blog about Slovenia, it's wrotten in spanish and english
http://libelulaeslovena.blogspot.com/