Thinking about moving to Bangalore, some questions

Hi people

This is my first post to this forum.
I am getting an offer to move to Bangalore as expat for my company. At this time I live in Germany. However I am Swedish and my wife is Brazilian.
Before I accept there are some questions that I would like to have help with. Please tell me your experience.

My wife talked to someone who moved to India for a period. He gave her some disturbing experiences.

- According to his experience, the electric supply is very unstable. All electrical appliances, as tv etc, were destroyed during the Indian stay. Is this also you experience? Is this a common problem, or can this be rectified by living in a "good" area / apartment block?

- Most of the furniture he brought was destroyed because of the climate. He recommended not to bring any furniture.

- The clothes he shipped, was destroyed. Clothes were infected by insects when they arrived and he needed to discard a lot of it. I guess this is caused by the heat and the moist environment.

Grateful for any help.
Frasse

Do not worry too much about it. Most of us in India buy stabilizers for equipments such as TV, Refrigerators, Airconditioners that can take care of fluctuations in Electricity. The other gadgets can withstand electricity fluctuations and need not have a stabilizer.

In other words take the experience of working in Bangalore as an adventure. You will not regret it.

All the other troubles  your friend has described are extreme and i doubt anyone else had faced them. I can give you references of so many expats working in Bangalore who have not faced the problems your friend has

Cheers
Gora

hi frasse,

well congrats on your job here.. you know the electricty thing shouldnt be a major problem.. because you can buy a stabilizer for that.. and regarding the clothes being sent.. it depends if he had sent it with a reputed company.. I prefer if you are looking at the clothes being sent use a fed-ex or a lufthansa.. works out well for you...

Hey!
My husband is Swedish and heads Exportrådet here and I am Indian and we have been living in Bangalore for the past 4 years.
I can tell you that it has been one of the most enriching experiences of our lives ;)
Any assignment away from your home country will have some challenges but thats the whole point of living the expat life - to discover new things and cultures right?
As far as electricity is concerned, any good apartment/community will have power back up and this takes care of any power fluctuations. If you want to be doubly careful, you can always put stabilizers.Finding good housing is key.

If you use a good shipping company, your furniture and clothes will arrive safely. It depends on what your friend used when he expatriated.

Living in Bangalore can be very rewarding. Take the challenge :)