Costa rica requires health insurance

What if a person already has international medical coverage myself? I am federal retired employee of USA--so i have blue shield international medical coverage. So one is required to buy costa rica health insurance--but if already have own medical themselves?

One MUST be entered into the CAJA plan before residency will be granted.

wow--thanks for this information--requirement to be resident! How much is monthly cost?

Gwirfs:

TerrynViv is correct (for the most part) Legally, the CAJA requires you to be legal resident in order to have be able to register with them. However, some CAJA branches around the country, allow foreign nationals to register without residency. Why? I do not know. But I am happy that they do. I know that the branches in Tilarán and 27 de Abril allow people to register without residency. it is very arbitrary, but the point is, that in some places, it is possible.

Regards,

thanks for more experience of this matter. I must pay attention to my expenses, living on retirement. I would like to not have to register for insurance, which means i must pay for it, if i already have very good health insurance.

The monthly cost depends on your income.
You can review a table describing the costs for CAJA here http://outlierlegal.wordpress.com/category/health-care/

Outlier, thanks for a good link, although it doesn't provide any information on what difference ones age could make, if one is in under 55 and what category what residency status one has applied for.

I to had a Caja Dr. prescribe medicine for me that is not available in Costa Rica. But, he also told me it was available in Panama. Since I live 30 minutes from the border, it's not a problem.

Well, if you do not want to join CAJA, then welcome to the wonderful world of Perpetual Tourist. Costa Rica is full of these interesting creatures. As for CAJA, it "can" be terrific if you lack health insurance and can afford its rates. In that case, any health care is better than none--but do not expect a US style system. Its rates "can" be very affordable unless (I) you already have health insurance (in which case you are paying for something that you will not use) or (2) you have a good income. In the latter case, CAJA "can" be expensive at least if you declare your true income. CAJA is based on a percentage of your income. Needless to say, there are more than a few gringos who misrepresent their income. Bottom line, if you really need health care and lack it, CAJA "can" be a very good deal. For others, you are subsidizing other people in exchange for not being required to leave the country every 90 days. Buena Suerte!

The thing that seems to be getting ignored here is that the CAJA is not just health insurance.  It is basically their social security system.  It pays for Tico's sick days, long term disabilities as well as retirement - for Ticos.  So it's necessary for everyone to contribute to keep it solvent and functioning.
I have it but would not use it for medical needs, I prefer to pay out of pocket at CIMA.  I do use it for my daughter's monthly medications.  They would cost several hundred in the States and with CAJA it's free.  I pay $120 per month for CAJA so it pays for itself.
According to the attorney I used to obtain our Cedulas, CAJA is legally required for your residency.  I've also read the same.
- Dave

Agree, Dave. CAJA can work for some people.  But it contributes to Perpetual Tourists. For many gringos, there is no value in CAJA except a cost with no value. I understand the fiscal policy of the San Jose policy makers--offer residency if you help support our social system. I get it. However, it could collect more gringo dollars simply by offering a residency at a fixed price without CAJA benefits.