About Jobs and Student Life

This is for the general forum. Please leave a comment. Thanks

I appreciate very much your blogging about Iceland.

Prior to applying for school, I learnt that Iceland is a developed country. Naturally, I expected that there would be a variety of odd jobs for students. But after having enrolled and preparing to move over, I stumbled on some guy online who informed me that things were very TIGHT -- he said there were no jobs AT ALL.

I am from Cameroon and would do any odd jobs even if it means labouring in the farms. I hope to study and do some part-times to pay rents and get life going. If really, there aren't any part-times, how do others survive? Would you mind reacting to this and how people survive?

Thanks very much indeed for your response.

Regards,
R

I was also worried about finding a job as a student in Iceland. I found out that getting a working visa is not easy, but as a student it can be alot easier. With a visa we have the same opportunities for part time jobs as anyone else, and i suppose it could be harder, but still possible. There are also student loans available, even to forginers. However to get a residents permit I must prove that i have around 12,000$ to support myself during the school year, this is before entering the country.