Would $100,000 US salary after tax be enough to live good life in HU.

I haven't seen my b0y in about 4 years because of my divorce and my ex taking him to her native country of Hungary.  Now, with hard work and the help of my family, I should soon be taking in about 100,000 after taxes and wanted to know if that would be enough to give my son a good life in Hungary.  I mean, by him a car when he gets older, be able to send him to college in Hungary, take vacations to lake Balaton or the Adriatic sea and get a nice apartment.  I know these are a lot of things I want to do with my boy but would $100,000 after taxes be able to cover it.  I just want to give my son a good life, especially since I haven't seen him in years.  I'm hoping its enough.  Please honestly let me know if its enough.

Thanks
Kevin

2liveinBudapest wrote:

I haven't seen my b0y in about 4 years because of my divorce and my ex taking him to her native country of Hungary.  Now, with hard work and the help of my family, I should soon be taking in about 100,000 after taxes and wanted to know if that would be enough to give my son a good life in Hungary. .....Please honestly let me know if its enough....

Need more details.  $100K per annum for him alone or you or him and you both in HU or you in USA and him here?  How old is your son?

If you are earning $100K in HU after tax, and live a normal existence, you'll easily be able to live here and do what you want.

2liveinBudapest wrote:

100,000 after taxes

The average income in Hungary is about $20,000. And people do fine. You will be 5x that income. You will be more than fine.

However, getting a permit to live in Hungary is another issue. Search the forum for topics on immigrating to Hungary, or start a new topic if you can not find the answers you seek.

Hello,

if your boy already has legal residence in Hungary and perhaps even Hungarian citizenship, obtaining a residence permit for Hungary shouldn't be a problem - even the more so since you seem to be financially independent. You should check with the nearest Hungarian embassy.

$100,000 a year anywhere would give a very nice lifestyle.
if you are planning on retiring and living out many years on $100,000 I can tell you from experience, it will be gone within 2 years time if you don't have a budget.
You can easily live off of $10,000 a year in Hungary if you don't pay rent and have a tight budget, no big plans on spending wildly in Balaton or college fees, books etc.
If you can invest this sum and get a good return then you may be ok in HU.
Not super cheap here any longer like it used to be. Actually even food stuff cost the same or more then items in the US.
It is over 75 cents a lb. for just bananas over here, in the states they are under 60 cents a lb.
Gas,and all utilities are higher here for the sq. footage of most flats then in the US. Water costs more then what we paid in the desert of Las Vegas per month with our long HOT showers there apposed to the quicky bath/shower experience of the average HU  bath. You might be better off staying 90 days and spending every summer with your boy then actually giving up your life to live here, not so rosy in the harsh winter time.
I understand you miss him allot but in the long run he is used to it here and you being able to send him funds is better then seeing his dad depressed by actually living in HU and not being happy
Your living outside of HU may give him more hope then seeing you suffer over here in person.