Moving to Guangzhou - Internet Questions

Hello all,

I should be in China by early October...I'm looking forward to meeting some new folks and learning Cantonese  :)  I've got some mixed reviews about the web in china though.  What do you guys think??

Is it more difficult to access some sites over others??  I heard you can get on sites like Facebook and Twitter with Mobile VPN, is that true?  sorry for my ignorance, but I've heard some horror stories about the "Great Firewall"

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!  Oh, and I'm new to the Expat.com and will be new to china so feel free to inbox me for anything.  I would love to connect with people before I come

okay, so I get the feeling this is a pretty stupid question judging by the responses.  Anyways, if you happen to be a newbie to China  like myself...I will attempt to answer my own question and hope it's beneficial to someone

So my friend who lived in Beijing said that you will be able to access certain sites.  She said you could use gmail but I would be monitored.  It's best to purchase a VPN before you leave to China.  There are some free ones but they aren't reliable.  She couldn't remember which one she used. Someone from another forum said they used  Astrill and it worked really well for them.  I will have to look into it later

Well, that's all I could dig up.  maybe my next post will be more relevant  :unsure

-Mike

you can install web freer in your computer that works great n it's free of cost.............)   about accessing them from cell phone I haven't figured it out yet but free vpn does work for some people