Soon to be teaching, please help with attire..

Hello all,
I'm leaving in August for Bharatpur, Nepal to teach English for the Murry Foundation in their orphan village.  I hoping that someone can help me with what to wear, as they are hard to get in touch with (I'm dealing with VolNepal).  I'm not sure if I should wear short or long sleeves, a tie or not, and whatnot.  Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,
Nice to see ur post and I really happy that you are going Bharatpur for  teaching.I am basically from nepal but at the moment I am in uk. Well you are moving there in August and that is mid summer for the region. Bharatpur is around 4-5 hrs bus journey from kathmandu towards south.but there are some direct flight to bharatpur as well from kathmandu.Plan for half sleevs, no tie as you can imagine it is hard to wear tie when temperature will be around 37-38 deg( can be more than that).Try to get summer cloths with you as it will be summer till end of september. But bharatpur is a nice place. there is a wild life conservation nearby.the place is called SAURAHA,its must go place.And yes beware of mosquitos. If possible get something to avoid that or you can buy a net which will protect you from their bites.Hope this will help.Plz write to me if you need any other info.

thanks
Suman

Thank you Suman for your response.  My biggest question is what I need to wear while teaching with The Murry Foundation.  Their students are required to wear a uniform with a tie, so I need to know how formal I should dress.  Any suggestions?  And thank you for your suggestion to visit Sauraha.  I will certainly want to visit that.  And thanks for the mosquito warning.  I will have to make sure to pack plenty of repellent.  Should I be concerned about diseases from them?

Its my pleasure to help you.Well, you can wear a formal cotton half sleev shirt and trousers in a formal leather shoes. Tie of course will give you more formal look but I guess the temperature will be very high but keep a tie with you and see if you can go with the temperature. Don't worry about the diseases from mosquito.Its nothing that serious for local ppl but its always good to avoid their bites.lol

Don't worry about anythin, Nepalese people are very friendly and I am sure they will help you for everything.Let me know if you want to know anything. Have a nice trip.

thanks
suman

I have gathered that about Nepalese people being very friendly.  I can't wait to go. Thank again for your help and advice.  I will be there until December, so I guess I will need some long sleeves too. But your input helps a lot.

Thanks,
Mike

Don't bother to bring much though, over here you can get your dress shirts and pants tailor made for a fraction of what you would pay at home for a factory produced one.

Expect to pay about 5 euro for a tailor made shirt, short-sleeve being just a bit cheaper then a long-sleeve, since it takes less cloth... Dress pants are a bit more expensive, but not double the price...

If you're of large stature, then do bring some nice t-shirts and shorts, and sweaters and coat for the winter season. If you're of small stature, you can buy those here easily also, and for far less then what you would be paying at home.

Hi Mike,

I am in Surkhet, so I am not sure how different things would be compared to where you are going, but I think a long sleeve button down shirt and khakis is fine.  That is the "uniform" that our teachers here decided on and it seems to be common.  I have seen very few men wear ties. 

Also, having clothing made in Nepal is extremely economical.  A woman can have a full surwal (tunic, pant, and scarf) made for less than $9 - that includes fabric of your choice and the tailoring.  So, you could bring a few pieces with you that you really like, and then have a local tailor make more.

I have been in Surkhet for 3 months and have had 4 tunics and 2 pairs of pants made.  The kids here at my school LOVE seeing foreigners wear traditional clothing and I like giving back a little to the local economy.  Plus it leaves room in your suitcase for keepsakes!

Hope this is a little helpful!

Lisa

I've traveled a lot and a few sites I have used are based in Australia.  They are great for travel clothes. (moderated: no ads please) I'm not sure if you are going to get a phone with a sim card or just have people call you but either way this site is awesome.