Cape Town

Hi,
I plan on moving to Cape Town later this year from the US and would love some info as far as the cultural and cost of living?

Thanks

Hey Curtis,

Well, generally the cost of living in South Africa is good. Within South Africa, Cape Town is a slight bit cheaper than Jo'Burg for instance, but you would generally get a higher salary up there.

To rent a one bedroom flat, say in the city bowl, in areas like Vredehoek, Tamboerskloof or Oranjezicht (right underneath the mountain, and a few km from the beach) would cost you around R2500-R6000 per month.

I would recommend those areas as they are close to the city centre, safe and, as mentioned, in a stunning location. Cape Town's CBD also has great places, if you don't mind the smaller spaces, or higher costs. Cape Town's CBD is regarded as the cleanest and safest in Africa!

Generally food is cheaper in SA compared to England, for example. I would recommend you find the closest 'Fruit and Veg City' where you can pick up great produce at a low cost.

Eating out at a restaurant would (generalizing a lot here) cost you around R100-R150 per person (Paris Hilton tweeted about CPT food yesterday).

A beer costs around R20 and a coffee around R10.

Use our currency converter to make sense of the prices.

Hope that helps.

Good luck. :)

-1st

Thanks, I will definitely look into those neighborhoods.

Hi Curtis. I agree with 1stcontact above. If you are still looking for a place, it just so happens I have a modern loft apartment in the Gardens neighbourhood (within the City Bowl area) of Cape Town which has become available for rent. It is fully furnished and equipped. Rent R8500 pm. If you are looking for a wonderful apartment overlooking Dunkley Square in this lovely area you may want to have a peek. Call me, the owner on +27 823763820 or email me on [email protected] for details, photos etc. Regards and all the best. You'll have a great time in Cape Town.