Expat Life in Makkah

:cheers:
Hello everyone. As Salam Alaikum

Inshallah I will be moving to Makkah from the UK in the next few months. I will be taking up a job in one of the government hospitals in Makkah.

When I tried to 'google out' things like accomodation, cars, schools, gyms, restaurants, furniture stores, swimming pools, kids sporting activities like horse riding, swimming, martial arts etc... i came up with blank!!!

There does not seem to be anyone interested in setting up their website to promote their businesses. Very strange! Considering I even do grocery shopping online here in the UK.

I was hoping that expats who are living in Makkah contribute to this forum and share how they go about having a normal life in Makkah. How are they keeping themselves and their children entertained, active and fit.

Pls contrribute.

Hello aqeeldoc,

I invite you to check out our Guide to Living in Saudi Arabia for more information. Also you can check out other threads created by other expatriates who wanted to know how to keep up a social life there.

Regards

Kenjee

Hi Kenjee
I have done that and most of it is about riyadh or jeddah. None about Makkah. Its not even a destination listed under Saudi and I dont know how to create it as a destination.

Unfortunately, Makkah does not have much in the way of the types of services you are looking for, namely, entertainment, sports, fitness, etc.  There must be some, but compared to Jeddah, not much at all.

Your best bet is to live in Jeddah and commute to Makkah daily for work if you want to avail all those facilities.

Besides, it's about 75Kms from Jeddah commute usually takes about an hour and since you hail from the land of her majesty, traffic shouldn't be an issue for you...:p

hamudi wrote:

Your best bet is to live in Jeddah and commute to Makkah daily for work if you want to avail all those facilities.

Besides, it's about 75Kms from Jeddah commute usually takes about an hour and since you hail from the land of her majesty, traffic shouldn't be an issue for you...:p

Dear Hamudi
In Her Majesty's land, you are very safe while waiting in stationery 'traffic'. While in His Highness' land I believe its dueing 'traffic' hours that you are at risk from mad impatient drivers. After experiencing as a passenger between Makkah and Jeddah during Umrah... I think the frequent change in lanes, made me almost 'sea sick'!!! and so I prefer to live near work and school. in Makkah.

If you have any details of rental agents, swimming for children etc in Makkah, please let me know,.

aqeeldoc wrote:

Dear Hamudi
In Her Majesty's land, you are very safe while waiting in stationery 'traffic'. While in His Highness' land I believe its dueing 'traffic' hours that you are at risk from mad impatient drivers. After experiencing as a passenger between Makkah and Jeddah during Umrah... I think the frequent change in lanes, made me almost 'sea sick'!!! and so I prefer to live near work and school. in Makkah.

If you have any details of rental agents, swimming for children etc in Makkah, please let me know,.

Commute from Jeddah - Makkah has improved significantly compared to past but again if you are not comfortable you are not.

If you need a pool based location then your only bet is to get a private villa in Makkah with a pool. There is an agent on board you can contact them and maybe they can help you.

Do u have the number for the agent?
And Hamudi where are you originally from and what do u do for a living?

aqeeldoc wrote:

Do u have the number for the agent?
And Hamudi where are you originally from and what do u do for a living?

If I can find the contact I will message you :)

in word of Rihanna " I live my life ayeee "

Hi,

For Housing in Makkah, you will not find any informations online, you need to be there physically and look by yourself or with the help of one of the many small real-estate agents ( Maktab Aqaar).

For schools there are very few international schools in Makkah. The best one (but only started their international section last year) is Abdulrahman Fakeeh School  www.afsch.edu.sa, my nephew is studying there in 1st grade and he/his parents  are more than happy. Other schools are Al Anjal (Indian ) And Al Batool for girls.

When it comes to Gyms, I think Makkah has some good ones, You have Fitness Time there and few other good local ones.

For restaurants, many fast food brands are there plus tons of local ones, but no fine dining, for this Makkawis come to Jeddah  :)

ahmadaq wrote:

Hi,

For Housing in Makkah, you will not find any informations online, you need to be there physically and look by yourself or with the help of one of the many small real-estate agents ( Maktab Aqaar).

For schools there are very few international schools in Makkah. The best one (but only started their international section last year) is Abdulrahman Fakeeh School  www.afsch.edu.sa, my nephew is studying there in 1st grade and he/his parents  are more than happy. Other schools are Al Anjal (Indian ) And Al Batool for girls.

When it comes to Gyms, I think Makkah has some good ones, You have Fitness Time there and few other good local ones.

For restaurants, many fast food brands are there plus tons of local ones, but no fine dining, for this Makkawis come to Jeddah  :)

Thank you very much Ahmad
That was encouraging. I will find it out about Al Fakieh, Aqeeldoc

Assalamualaikum aqeeldoc
Did u find the info regarding afsch school
Do they have indian section CBSE I mean
What about ur visa status

I am in the same position as you are in that i am not in Makkah to find out about the school. I am inshallah planning to put them into an Arabic language islamic school. I believe As Siddiq Tahfeez school in Makkah is quite good.

Great. Masha Allah.
I would love to do the same but
But will it not be difficult for the kids to follow Arabic as a medium of instructions in the school at least in the first year or so.
What about their conventional school education online or is it there in the same school and what syllabus they follow if it is there.
Sorry for asking too many queries but I am worried about it.

How old are your children?

My son is 8 years and the daughter is 4

Salam Alaikum

Your children are of similar age to mine

However my older one (9yrs) has been learning some basic Arabic in the UK for sometime. Recently we are giving her some extra tutions to get ready. For the 4 year old they will start from scratch... so no issues.

Tahfeez schools have main emphasis on Quran, Hadith, Fiqh etc with additional geography, science and very easy maths - but all in Arabic. We inshallah wish to do what other professional families who have moved to Makkah (from Europe and North America) are doing. Sending them to an Arabic Tahfeez school plus additional 'home schooling' or 'online schooling' (online only from 9yrs plus) on our home country curriculums - all material downloaded from the net.

Remember schools start at around 7am and finish by 12:30pm - so they have the whole afternoon free. Further English/Science/Maths/Hist/Geog tution will be 2 hrs / day, and many of us will need Arabic tution for 1 hr / day to help with the Arabic homework - so in total 6 + 3 = 9 hrs of studies per day, which is probably a little less than what your children would do in India if you add up school + homework + madrassah  hours

Or you could send them to the CBSE school. This is a better option if you are not sure if you will adjust to life in Makkah or want to move out in 2-3 years.

Anyways these are the options available. You cant put them in school until they get their IQAMA, the process for which starts after they arrive and generally takes 4-6 weeks. So you will inshallah have time to explore the schools.

You are coming to the most holy of places. As Allah says in the Quran: If you FEAR and TRUST him, he will make a way out from sources you have never imagined... applies to both when you put them into primary school or university..

Surah Talaq. Verse 2-3: And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. And whosoever puts his trust in Allah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allah will accomplish his purpose. Indeed Allah has set a measure for all things.

JazakAllah for the much required info brother
Now I am feeling a bit relaxed
Will also consider those options seriously
Thank you so much

Assalamu Aleykum Dear Brother.

I am searching for job in Saudi Arabia, If you find me a job there ( bi izn Allah) I will pay for your service.
In any Saudi Arabia city I am ready to work. Even I will take a ticket from my self. I have enough money for that/.
I am not lying, we will do contract between us, with signatures. I am muslim, who wants to go to islamic country where I will be able to pray salah ( prayer ) and fast and do other commands of Allah. Insha Allah.

I have e-mail, skype, cellphone numer for contact with you.
Jazakallah Khairan.
Waaleykumsalaam

What is your qualification and profession?

@aqeeldoc

Hello did you start in Makkah, are you still working there?

@bob3673

Hello and welcome !

Please note that this member is inactive. It's been 5 years already since his last visit to the website.

You might want to consider opening a new thread on the Saudi Arabia forum should you need info.

All the best

Bhavna