Buying motor bike

Just curious about checking paperwork on motor bikes. Typical in the usa, there is an identity number on frame and motor. Those numbers need to match title. In vietnam, nobody ever updates the registration paperwork when a bike is sold. Sometimes the engines are replaced without any change to the paperwork. Is there a way to check to insure a bike is not stolen. Like running engine number through a data base or does vietnam even keeps a data base on stolen stuff.

I always check the blue card with the owners ID, that will give you an idea if they own it.To be honest,buy a new bike. Secondhand bikes are very expensive and not much cheaper then a new bike, just get the new bike put in a friend or the shops name,problem solved.

Yeah, you should cross check the Motor Vehicle Registration Card (yes, light blue background) with the motorcycle and see the engine number and chassis number match. So many motorcycle comes with fake certificate which are stolen!

ancientpathos wrote:

Just curious about checking paperwork on motor bikes. Typical in the usa, there is an identity number on frame and motor. Those numbers need to match title. In vietnam, nobody ever updates the registration paperwork when a bike is sold. Sometimes the engines are replaced without any change to the paperwork. Is there a way to check to insure a bike is not stolen. Like running engine number through a data base or does vietnam even keeps a data base on stolen stuff.

Just take it to the Police, I'm sure they will let you know real fast if it is stolen or not. ( make sure you get a receipt if they do confiscate though ).  Good luck.

For our Vietnamese, we don't use to announce the police. For old bikes which cost some millions, let it go without announcing.. :D Even I have seen many policemen capture those bikes but non of owners has gone to take it cos the money they will pay is going to equal to the price of the bike! For some expensive bikes, we will be asked " What color is your bike, what is the number?".. they will not ask to show them the bike paper to see what is the numbers on chassi or frame. And when policemen call you on the street, they are not free to check those numbers which ask them to dirty their clothes by kneeing down.

Dejavu.dot wrote:

For our Vietnamese, we don't use to announce the police. For old bikes which cost some millions, let it go without announcing.. :D Even I have seen many policemen capture those bikes but non of owners has gone to take it cos the money they will pay is going to equal to the price of the bike! For some expensive bikes, we will be asked " What color is your bike, what is the number?".. they will not ask to show them the bike paper to see what is the numbers on chassi or frame. And when policemen call you on the street, they are not free to check those numbers which ask them to dirty their clothes by kneeing down.

Yes , I've never seen an old bike on the back of the Cong Sat truck up here, ( nearly every time I see it, which is quite often, it is heading back to town loaded with bikes, on special occasions , sometimes 2 trucks, but then I wouldn't be at all surprised if most of these bikes were confiscated from people with no licences, may explain the caliber of the driving up here ). but everywhere you see old Honda Cubs, with no lights, or indicators , many times no exhausts/mufflers and often not even a number plate.

bluenz wrote:
Dejavu.dot wrote:

Yes , I've never seen an old bike on the back of the Cong Sat truck up here, ( nearly every time I see it, which is quite often, it is heading back to town loaded with bikes, on special occasions , sometimes 2 trucks, but then I wouldn't be at all surprised if most of these bikes were confiscated from people with no licences, may explain the caliber of the driving up here ). but everywhere you see old Honda Cubs, with no lights, or indicators , many times no exhausts/mufflers and often not even a number plate.

And most of the rat bikes look like this on Sundays-
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hI4CCcbqY1Y/T3ZjJq6L_RI/AAAAAAAACG0/uw1KToEgAJQ/s640/the+scooterist+(2).jpg

jimbream wrote:
bluenz wrote:
Dejavu.dot wrote:

[img align=c]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hI4CCcbqY1Y/T3ZjJq6L_RI/AAAAAAAACG0/uw1KToEgAJQ/s640/the+scooterist+(2).jpg[/url]

That bike is immaculate, wonder what it looks like now though?.  I have a photo of 9 on a bike, they are carrying a baby in a bucket. But at least it looks like it's a 100 cc, not like your poor little beast. ( and they don't look as frightened as your passengers.)

bluenz wrote:
jimbream wrote:
bluenz wrote:

[img align=c]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hI4CCcbqY1Y/T3ZjJq6L_RI/AAAAAAAACG0/uw1KToEgAJQ/s640/the+scooterist+(2).jpg[/url]

That bike is immaculate, wonder what it looks like now though?.  I have a photo of 9 on a bike, they are carrying a baby in a bucket. But at least it looks like it's a 100 cc, not like your poor little beast. ( and they don't look as frightened as your passengers.)

Any chance of posting the pic of the 9 on the bike?

http://www.meemes.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/Family-Bike.jpg?itok=-Dn4szaO

Thats one for the bucket list

jimbream wrote:
bluenz wrote:
jimbream wrote:

Any chance of posting the pic of the 9 on the bike?

I can PM it to you, I don't want to know how to post pic's on here, get in enough trouble with written posts.  Remember what happened on that other site????

colinoscapee wrote:

http://www.meemes.com/sites/default/fil … k=-Dn4szaO

Thanks Colin.

bluenz wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

http://www.meemes.com/sites/default/fil … k=-Dn4szaO

Thanks Colin.

I think that baby's 'shopped in.
Even though,it's still a mighty fine example of Darwin's theory of Evolution!

I have found that a couple of $2 bills and 200,000 dong have solved most of my problems here. Most legal documents have a price and there is a way around everything....

ancientpathos wrote:

I have found that a couple of $2 bills and 200,000 dong have solved most of my problems here. Most legal documents have a price and there is a way around everything....

what could you do with 2$and 200 000d?

Dejavu.dot wrote:
ancientpathos wrote:

what could you do with 2$and 200 000d?

$2 bills are considered lucky... VND 200'000 is the standard amount of tea money foreigners pay to traffic police (double the locals' rate, as is tradition)

Why did the mods remove the pic I posted, if they have its getting a bit too sterile on here.

colinoscapee wrote:

Why did the mods remove the pic I posted, if they have its getting a bit too sterile on here.

No the bucket list is still there, ( at least on my computer ).

But the pic has been removed, or can you still see it. I cant see any pic.

colinoscapee wrote:

But the pic has been removed, or can you still see it. I cant see any pic.

Must be your computer , i had it happen to me once as well

Ok, I take back what I said about the mods,then again,no I wont,lol.

reply to # 10,
The picture were taken in China !
Actually, the woman can carry two buckets,left and right. So one more "seat" is available 😉

ancientpathos wrote:

not Ausie 2$ bills I hpoe

mark stutley wrote:
ancientpathos wrote:

not Ausie 2$ bills I hpoe

Just USA $2 bills.  Are you in Da Nang?