Reservations

Reservations
May 29, 2014, 12:25 PM

I am recently retired and I am looking to winter in Belize starting in early January through early April 2015. I am hoping to explore as much of the country as possible including a run to Tikal. While I would prefer a flexible, play it by ear, itinerary I know that I will have to commit to a somewhat specific schedule in order to secure housing and flights. I am a "budget" traveler who will not be staying in upscale hotels or all-inclusive resorts. How soon should I look to book a flight? Do I need to have all my housing booked before I arrive or is it possible to find rooms on the fly? I plan to use airbnb.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and any other tips.

satie8185

Winter time is peak tourist season in Belize . Room availability and airline tickets are in demand.
But you may find what you want any time

You could heck in advance with a few rental companies then have a cheap place to stay lined up for a week and choose your longer term living place when you arrive.

Hi there Tacogirl,
My wife and I are coming down at the beginning of January and are planning on doing exactly what you suggest.  Are there cheap apartments or condos in town available on a weekly basis that are decent?  Suggestions?  Thanks!

What price range rich&kathi, Typically apartments rent long term which is 6 months or more due to the way rentals get taxed here. Anything less than that is considered vacation rental and short term.

We're flexible at this point.  What we'd like to do is find a place to check into once we land, and give ourselves about a week or so to look around and get a feel for the areas we like.  I understand that Jan through May is tough to secure long term because it's the high season.  We're afraid to secure long term without being there.  (Kinda hard to change the decision after the fact).  I hear different comments regarding In-Town, South and North.  Just not sure where to put the roots down.

Check with and Eric Ana at Ambergris Vacation Rentals, they do both long and short term http://www.ambergrisvacationrentals.com/

Will do.  Thanks!