Update (and lessons learned) my post on "Not prepared for this"

Want to thank Planner, Bob K, rigger and others.....I know my posts are long so will do my best but let me just say without your encouragement, I would likely be home...Some back story on my journey is that I had choices of my complex, Stanza Mare, and a newer one, Playa Turquesa, almost next door.  Quotes about the same and one lady so nice at Playa Turquesa that I kept her info and long ago said I would stop by....You cannot tell everything about a unit by photos but it is clear Playa Turquesa is newer, however; nothing seemed to compare to the gorgeous landscaping and huge beach at Stanza Mare.... I absolutely still feel that way and of course the other reason for picking Stanza Mare is owner said yes to small dog...I have stated before that I read reviews from every unit (3 br,2br, etc. at both locations) and as discussed could not for the life of me understand why this "bug" issue was never mentioned.. Also, there seem to be a couple mentioned in almost half of the Stanza Mare posts that manage units and it almost sounds like they run the entire place but I was excited as they were listed as doing all these  wonderful things for a person in my owner's unit who ended up at Centro Medico 8 times.  That comforted me.  I also was aware that Stanza Mare is Owner Board run (some big blow up 2 or 3 years ago where local mgmt left due to conflicts and it is now run by a board of directors) full local office staff,etc, but decisions are made by Board officers, elected similar to American condo owner rules....
Before arriving, in emailing back and forth with owner who arrived home from this unit to PA in end of March, he advised he switched to new condo manager, a man named Yves.  Although I didn't need to know why he switched from the couple who lives here, he shared it and that seemed fine with me.  One other thing for those who said, I would have been out day one... Well, not if you had prepaid your entire 6 months.  the only reason I went along with that is that I thought it would be great to have a 6 month period where I could save up $$ to pay off old debt.  Sadly I look back at emails from others with quotes and one from the awesome lady at Playa turquesa when speaking about a possible yearly in the future referencing that a good local lawyer and lease required versus the "Normal" long term as in 6 months of 2 months down plus security?? so I knew I wasn't getting out of this easy but did I even really want to?   You see, I wrote to you guys., it is good to hear, yes I should have expected the concept of cockroaches now and then and putting things in the fridge etc.
My issue was how the bed bugs (as I thought) were handled.  Lucky only that the owner's new rep and a very nice man, Yves .. has a dominican wife who came right over to figure out it was ants (that bite by the way) and they were only there due to a dead spider (which had to have been quite small, not huge)...
Sadly, just before that as I alluded a long-term tenant, spoke to me about never seeing any for 2 years on higher floors and only dead ones on patio on first floor.  He suggested that perhaps my unit was missed and this made perfect sense so i called office to see and they didn't understand but apparently wrote to owner that I was asking for early fumigation as he forwarded to me an email they sent him "tenant requests fumigation" and he sent me the next scheduled date which was yesterday ( so it was at least 2 week wait)... I got the raid as instructed and of course Yves wife came with the lady to literally wash the mattress and re-raid the room and the ants are truly gone as I gave it a week before trying.
Sadly, I was noticing when Yves mentioned bringing his own mattress and my insisting this was an owner's problem not his... that even though I am so fortunate to be under his care, he may be afraid a little to upset owner with issues. I have asked him before to help with the fact that the window over the shower (although screened) has a broken handle and won't shut and he almost seemed to not want to deal with it...It will obviously be expensive as these units have awesome heavy duty windows and something will have to be welded on it the original can't be found.  Another issue I think he didn't want to bother owner about as it meant $$.
The further update really is that I didn't luck out in the owner category.... I had even taken the step of writing to the lady at Playa Turquesa to inform I might want to stop by, but then after receiving an email from the owner, it turned into, I might have to live there NOW.. forget the dog, can you help me and she was terrific after I informed her of what I received from the owner.... (nice to know I had a great person with an alternative)).
Since Yves had a planned trip out of town, he apparently as promised, wrote to the owner about the mattress  I received the most incredibly cruel email from the owner... basically, he started out by stating he defends his choice of Yves (shocking as I never had or have a problem with him)... then on to state that don't I know that eating in bed can cause ants?  OMG... apparently he wasn't told how the bed got that way!!!  or didn't care then the following statement.  "I suggest you stay out of the politics down there, stop talking to people and enjoy your vacation".  He did go on to say that the only time there have ever been dead bugs as I found was when someone didn't get fumigated as they didn't want to leave residence and the following month brought out many dead ones." 
Shocking me more than I can say, this is when I wrote to the lady at the other development and let her know although I am under the impression I am locked in with prepayment, still would love to have backup plan..
I won't go in to the things I said, but after all I had been through, for him to not know what caused the ants, well lets just say I wrote a very angry response... how he was actually not even told why they were there was beyond me and I insisted any decent person would have gotten a new mattress and not make me sleep on a couch for 3 weeks.  Believe it or not. so stunned, it was a short and angry response. 
I then took the time to do one thing not done when one has a long term rental and a lease and that is I listed for him absolutely everything wrong with this condo.  I demanded the window be fixed (something he says he knew nothing about but was here in March)..His response about the window was that he would talk to Yves but could I take a good look around to find that handle?  . Told him I thought the place looked neglected as it's only 8 years old and the outiside of this complex says resort but this place has holes and dents throughout tile, an owner installed "ON" switch for the hot water heater where he simply cut open the tile to install and left a good two inch hole into the tile wall.  Bathtub is dented with rust marks and on the bottom it is almost brown from what I suppose is the water.  I did try and be complimentary in the beginning but there are simply people in this world who don't want to be responsible for things.. I never got a response to the "don't talk to people' other than he wanted to make sure I had a good time and he went so far as to explain a recent Board vote and name people involved by name and I could care less???
None of that addresses what I finally figured out and as much as I like Yves, owner says last tenant left April 17th and apparently manager gets paid to clean... I now know the fumigation cycle is the last couple days of the month ... This all just proves that (other than the fact you can't clean broken)  even if it was cleaned right after Apirl 17th, it was fumigated end of april and I arrived to the few live ones and multiple dead roaches I found first of May, not to mention poor Mr spider and his ant friends who spent the few days between fumigation and my arrival invading the bed.  Long story short, yes there can be a "cooka rocha" here or there.  but this was all due to nobody cleaning up after the fumigation... I now simply move all pieces of furniture every day to look, sweep every day and will be put on a bi-weekly maid service for the shower floor mopping, toilets, windows, etc. things I can't do....I made the decision that this place as a complex is absolutely gorgeous, more so than many.... people working very hard to make it beautiful.  Sadly, it is not a hotel or all-inclusive where I could call up and say, move me the heck out of here or new mattress, etc., things are harder with absentee owner (especially one demanding I don't speak to anyone and one who is for lack of a better word, cheap..).. I have to look at the good things.  Will still be going to take a look at some other places, plan on a great relationship with Yves, the local guy as he truly truly is in the middle and is a good resource for me...
I love almost all the local people I have met... but one thing I will ask as I'm not sure I think my situation is funny.... I am aware that from one other owner who is here beachfront and has incredible condo that looks as if built yesterday...she mentioned that my situation was likely neglect (it was, is but I'm working on it) but advised, there are spiders (as her niece was here from England and admitted her shock)... they are large and black and she mentioned some people actually keep them around (don't get that) but as I have had to learn the circle of life of insects here, they are a benefit in keeping these other things we don't like away... I sat under the very large palapa here yesterday where wifi is best and the height, tall lights, palm froms, etc, looking up some 30 feet, there is not one cob, spider or web of any kind.  I have seen one of those and in no way are they anything that one would say is common to Punta Cana so I hope that was meant as comic relief... I see approximately 5 to 10 huge buses every time I go t El Dorado shopping center taking people on tours as there is a local starting point by our beach.. As I have always believed, if there were any type of infestation that could not be controlled anywhere here in Punta Cana, they wouldn't be building huge- all-inclusives and people wouldn't be coming.   I don't think many people will experience lying in bed with the ants like I did... I would never say Punta Cana has an infestation of ants.. No... they are here as they are everywhere.  this is a tropical climate and they will come quicker than most places... owner and cleaning neglect is why I ended up seeing them.. The spider written about is not poisonous and is usually found in dead tree trunks, etc.  I can only imagine that one bad bus, tour operator, has neglected what must have been an area of rotten wood (yes they can be near the beach also)... As I convinced myself when reviewing posts,especially on trip advisor, 4 Million people come to the DR each year and of that 4, I believe 3 million come to PC all-inclusives take tours, trips, etc..  If one or two people even a month see one of these things or 3 or 4 run into a cockroach, then I don't think Punta Cana, having the most visitors has an issue..
So thanks again for all input ... many of you made me eager to be more assertive and enlightened me as to realities I had not expected.  I truly hope most of my future posts are about the great things I see.  I already have them stored up but will cut this short with a last thanks.....

Wow long post.  Sounds like you are slowly adapting to the realities of living in the DR, and that is a good thing. 

Glad to hear that your are going to concentrate on the enjoyment of living here.  When you sit back and reflect you will find that far outweighs the broken window, occasional roaches etc.

Enjoy

Bob K

Sounds like you are adapting!!!! Now a request, instead of new threads where you have to retell your story, honey keep all your future updates here. It makes for great reading g and less work for you.

Specific disconnected questions s - start a thread. But ease continue updates here. We love to read them! 

Also feel free to post everyday stuff in - A Dsye in the Life - thread!!!

Ever hear of palmetto bugs in Florida...huge flying roaches, now that's even scarier!
And, yes, there are those awful spiders in Bavaro, especially around new construction but they are not dangerous...
Life in the tropics is definitely challenging and not for everyone.
Lots of good wishes, Michele

Note taken, Planner on the necessity to continue one subject on the same post. Often, I assume that only those who have read and responded to my first, will care about the update on the second.,... but especially with this very long post and the history behind it, plus a little comment I added in to address a reply by another member, would leave others (new readers especially) a little lost.  Also, when writing something so emotional, as noted that my posts are exceedingly long, one will have to forgive...Thanks to all for understanding.