Maximum stay in Brazil with a tourist visa

Hello,

I stayed in Brazil in last October for 3 weeks and another 3 weeks in March without a visa because Brazil did not require a tourist visa from where I'm originally from. However, I became naturalized in the United States 3 weeks ago and would like to spend a few months in Brazil. Now that I have to apply for a tourist visa as a U.S. citizen, what are the maximum days I can spend in Brazil? I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

If you now have a US passport you can apply for a VITUR Tourist Visa (valid for 10 years) and that will allow you to stay in Brazil for up to 180 days in a "rolling" one year period.

If you also still hold your original passport you could still use that and stay in Brazil for 90 days in a 180 day period (three months in a 6 month period)

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

NOTE FOR DUAL CITIZENS:   YOU CAN'T USE BOTH PASSPORTS AND TRY TO GET AROUND THE 180 DAY LIMIT, THAT IS IMMIGRATIONS FRAUD AND WILL GET YOU PUT IN JAIL AND THEN DEPORTED.

Thank you for your prompt response.

I'm not a dual citizen and just received my US passport.
But I can still use my original passport to enter and exit Brazil without a visa and spend 90 days minus 3 weeks that I've spent in Brazil in March. Is that correct?

If not, after I receive a VITUR Tourist Visa, I can stay up to 180 days because the 6 weeks that I've spent in Brazil are connected to my original passport. Am I understanding it right? Please let me know. Thank you!

If you have a Visa Waiver Program country passport you can use it to enter Brazil for the balance of the 180 day annual limit that is unused.

You cannot then turn around and use your USA passport to obtain an additional 180 days, this constitutes immigration fraud. Your entry to Brazil is not only linked to passport number, but also cross referenced to name, date of birth and other data used for purpose of identification; so independent of the passport number Federal Police are going to know you've been in the country previously.

The 180 day annual limit is for the PERSON, not for the PASSPORT.

Cheers,

Thank you for letting me know.

Will using the Visa Waiver Program country passport for my trip to Brazil next month cause any potential problems in the future? I intend to apply for a permanent resident visa and move to Brazil next year to live with my fiance working in Brazil as a Brazilian permanent resident after getting married. Please let me know. Thank you.

If your fiancé is a Brazilian (or Permanent Resident) once you get married it does not matter what passport you have used you may apply for a VIPER Permanent Visa. The ONLY consideration you really need to have is that you should have all the necessary documents ready before you enter Brazil since the marriage process takes a while for foreigners and you don't want to run out of time before the marriage. In fact, it's best if you actually have not only the 90 day initial stay, but also the ability to extend that if necessary. It can be done in the 90 days, but sometimes even that is pushing it a bit.

Cheers,