Driving through Europe with our Dog - to settle in Malta

This is lazy of me, but I'm not really sure where to start investigations.

So, if you have already moved to Malta, driving over from UK with your dog(s) how did it go?

Obviously we get the rabies shot/passport - and I have just seen a great post from Tearnet about what to do when we arrive in Malta.

But what about other countries that we pass through. We were planning on getting ferry to Spain, drive across to France then Ferries between Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily then Malta. Do we need to pre notify in all cases?

Anyone done this (type) of journey - what about the paperwork and the costs?

If you could point me in the right direction - and/or share your experiences.

Many Thanks
Matt  :/

Hi Matt
             We  are motorhomers and take our dog with us when we go. As far as I am  aware only Malta within the EU   requires pre notification.
The UK requires inspection but countries within the EU mainland have  some type of requirement (pet passport) but we have never been stopped when travelling between France, Germany, Italy, Sicily etc.
This link outlines each countries requirements with regard to pets.
http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/liveani … ret_en.htm

Most ferry companies charge extra for pets and some provide kennels on board (grim and dirty), some allow small pets in cabins. Most people seem to leave them in the cars and walk them around the deck depending on the time on board.

Hope this helps,

Terry

tearnet wrote:

Hi Matt
             We  are motorhomers and take our dog with us when we go. As far as I am  aware only Malta within the EU   requires pre notification.
The UK requires inspection but countries within the EU mainland have  some type of requirement (pet passport) but we have never been stopped when travelling between France, Germany, Italy, Sicily etc.
This link outlines each countries requirements with regard to pets.
http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/liveani … ret_en.htm

Most ferry companies charge extra for pets and some provide kennels on board (grim and dirty), some allow small pets in cabins. Most people seem to leave them in the cars and walk them around the deck depending on the time on board.

Hope this helps,

Terry

Hi Terry,

Hope this helps! You bet it does!! Sounds brilliant and much easier than I was expecting.
Thank you for your kind help and link  :thanks:
Matt

This is a good site to see what ferries are operated by whom.

http://www.cemar.it/ferries.html

Terry

tearnet wrote:

This is a good site to see what ferries are operated by whom.

http://www.cemar.it/ferries.html

Terry

More great help Terry - we'll be looking into this link on ferries.

I sent an email to defra yesterday as the appropriate links on the EU site you provided where either broken or I couldn't read the language! I'd hoped it would be easy to find entry requirements for EU countries in English, Your experience is reassuring though, I imagine an up to date Pet Passport will suffice for most contingencies.

Sorry, I haven't driven in Europe since a teenager (a very long time ago) and have never taken a pet abroad!  :)

Hi Matt,

have you found any useful info about the journey with your pet as we are doing the same thing at the end of August and I need to start researching the route etc and how easy it is going to be with 3 small dogs. We are moving to Marsaskala and have rented a place which starts 1st September.
Lesley

559lkm wrote:

Hi Matt,

have you found any useful info about the journey with your pet as we are doing the same thing at the end of August and I need to start researching the route etc and how easy it is going to be with 3 small dogs. We are moving to Marsaskala and have rented a place which starts 1st September.
Lesley

Hi Lesley,

to be honest we are too busy getting ready to go to work out how we're going to get there yet! We'd love to go from Plymouth to Santander then across Spain, France and island hop Corsica, Sardinia, Scilly, Malta ideally.

Here is a link to useful stuff I've found so far - scroll down for a section on taking your pets to Malta

useful link

Thanks Matt,

Maybe I will be able to help you! When are you leaving?

559lkm wrote:

Thanks Matt,

Maybe I will be able to help you! When are you leaving?

We are waiting on tenterhooks for the exchange of contracts on our house sale. Should have been today, but now looking like next week. If that goes ahead we will probably be leaving w/c 18th August, what about you?

Cheers
Matt

We sold our house 2 years ago and have been renting. So, we are giving a months notice end of July and will move out end of August. I will keep my fingers crossed for your sale. I'm sure it will all go ahead. If it does, you will be a couple of weeks ahead of us. Are you planning on working out there?

559lkm wrote:

We sold our house 2 years ago and have been renting. So, we are giving a months notice end of July and will move out end of August. I will keep my fingers crossed for your sale. I'm sure it will all go ahead. If it does, you will be a couple of weeks ahead of us. Are you planning on working out there?

Yeah, we're pretty confident the sale will go through - we will be offering pet grooming services in Malta. Possibly based in Fgura but living in Marsaskala. if you've nothing better to do there is more about what we're up to at  Moving To The Med We can't actually complete on the sale until 5th September because of mortgage early redemption penalty, but should be ok to get going after exchange.

We are in the process of closing our UK businesses and Maria, who teaches dog grooming at a nearby college, obviously wants to complete her courses before we go.

Well at least I now know where I can bring my dogs for grooming. I will read your blog and thanks for the information.