EU Citizens e-residency process & Health Care info.

Hi everyone,

I apologize if this has already been covered but after searching I couldn't find anything.

I am moving to Malta for a new job and need to get a social security number. I plan on staying in an airbnb or hotel for the first couple of weeks while I find an apartment so would I still be able to get the social security number without a permanent address as my job will probably begin before finding an apartment?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello all.

Hoping someone could clarify a couple of things for me regarding economic self sufficiency route:

I am from the UK, planning to apply under economic self sufficiency.

1. I read somewhere that you have to spend a minimum of 2 months in Malta before applying under the economic self sufficiency route - is this correct?
'Update 2018: The applicant must spend at least two months in Malta before qualifying for the self-sufficient status.'

2. For the health insurance, I popped into Middlesea Mapfre and they informed me for economic self sufficiency I need health insurance that covers in patient cover. Searches online show that you need in & out patient cover - which is correct? All of the information I have found states you need 'comprehensive health insurance' - confusing :(

Thanks for reading :)

Welcome to the Forum, are you going to be working or are you retired?

Hi, I am neither working nor retired.
Planning to stay here for approx. 1 year.

If you are not working and paying national insurance or retired you need private  healthcare, you have to show proof that you have been living here and for self sufficiency by showing bank or credit card
statements for at least two months.

Got it, thanks for clarifying for me ;)

tim55555 :

Hi, I am neither working nor retired.
Planning to stay here for approx. 1 year.

If you are only going to be staying for one year it might be easier to just use the Reciprocal Health Agreement which gives basic health cover. It is sufficient for eResidence application and all you need is your passport to apply. Info in Pinned Post at beginning of forum.

HI, I have been in Malta for 3 years. When I arrived I was  not of pensionable age or working so I applied for my eID card under self sufficiency with an entitlement form form St Lukes for health as I am a British Citizen.
I then found a job and worked for just over 2 years paying tax and social security. I have not worked now since last July. Mater Dei has changed it's rules recently and my eID or passport are no longer acceptable so I went to St Lukes to apply for the RHA card but they refused to give it to me because I now receive a state pension in the UK. My pension does not come to Malta it takes care of my family responsibilities in the UK so my status here is the same as when I arrived 3 years ago. However I am told by St Lukes that I now need and S1 form but upon investigation in the UK when I was there in December this form transfers my full healthcare form the UK to Malta, something I do not want as I have not emigrated here. It also transfers my pension and tax but again I need my pension to stay in the UK. Do you know why I cannot have the RHA card just for basic healthcare like I was getting before I was paid the pension. If I ever got a long term illness I would return to the UK anyway. It doesn't make much sense to me at all.

johnny1126 :

HI, I have been in Malta for 3 years. When I arrived I was  not of pensionable age or working so I applied for my eID card under self sufficiency with an entitlement form form St Lukes for health as I am a British Citizen.
I then found a job and worked for just over 2 years paying tax and social security. I have not worked now since last July. Mater Dei has changed it's rules recently and my eID or passport are no longer acceptable so I went to St Lukes to apply for the RHA card but they refused to give it to me because I now receive a state pension in the UK. My pension does not come to Malta it takes care of my family responsibilities in the UK so my status here is the same as when I arrived 3 years ago. However I am told by St Lukes that I now need and S1 form but upon investigation in the UK when I was there in December this form transfers my full healthcare form the UK to Malta, something I do not want as I have not emigrated here. It also transfers my pension and tax but again I need my pension to stay in the UK. Do you know why I cannot have the RHA card just for basic healthcare like I was getting before I was paid the pension. If I ever got a long term illness I would return to the UK anyway. It doesn't make much sense to me at all.

The Reciprocal agreement still applies and I would guess someone at Mater Dei gave you wrong information.
However the S1 route gives you full cover here, full cover still with the NHS in the UK and does not transfer your tax and pension. (It even allows you to have a UK issue EHIC card)
We have Health Entitlement Certificates via the S1 which gives full cover, our pensions are paid into UK banks.
Whilst we are liable to pay tax here if we exceed the amount of our allowances, if we earned more through pensions and investments in the UK so as to exceed UK tax thresholds we are still liable to pay whatever tax due there, only if your income from pensions and investments in the UK does not exceed the personal allowance does the UK Inland Revenue allow you to stop submitting a tax return.

Thank you for your reply but this is no longer the case. Both the Director at the Entitlement Unit and The Pensions  Dept in the UK have told me I have to make a choice I cannot have healthcare in both countries. If you already have the S1 you are OK but new applications are as I just stated. It also states this on the NHS Overseas web site.