ID for opening a bank account

I am flying to the Philippines tomorrow and will want to open a bank account there. I have been looking at BDO bank and I will only have my passport and will be staying in a hotel. Will I be able to open a savings account with ATM card with just my passport?

phnom-penh-services wrote:

I am flying to the Philippines tomorrow and will want to open a bank account there. I have been looking at BDO bank and I will only have my passport and will be staying in a hotel. Will I be able to open a savings account with ATM card with just my passport?

There is a very good chance that unless you have the BI issued ACRI card, you will not be allowed as a foreigner (tourist status visa) to open a bank account (the Hotel address does not help either).  Some have reported success in the past but I think it is very hard to find a main bank that will allow any account without that.  Another options is to check for what Phil bank may be in your country and open the account there (I see you are from England, living in Cambodia  so not sure if a Phil bank is in Cambodia).  Good luck!

Thank you, can I apply for the ACRI card straight away, or do I need to wait a month as I have read somewhere before?

phnom-penh-services wrote:

Thank you, can I apply for the ACRI card straight away, or do I need to wait a month as I have read somewhere before?

This is another good question.  I would suggest that your return ticket be at least 7 months from your arrival date and you indicate to BI at your 30 day visa extension visit that you are staying 6+ months and you therefore are requesting the ACRI card to be processed at that time.  They may be very ready to take your $50, 59 days in advance of the traditional extension period.  YMMV

Hi There

i have opened up couple of accounts and one of them is BDO. Minimum requirement is passport, Alien residency card and passport photographs.
Hope this helps

regards
sam

Hi. You will need Two passport photographs and ACR. Plus they can ask for proof of your bank if you intend to transfer, ATM is much cheaper.

I recently came to the Philippines and have tried to open a bank account both at bdo and bpi.  Both required a passport and an acr card, otherwise they will not  be able to open an account for you.  I have done one 59 day extension and will not be able to get the acr card until I get the second extension.  This was what I was told by BI regarding the acr card.  Hope this will help.  rainrider9

At my local branch of BPI, I was told I had to have a letter from my bank in the USA saying I was in good standing, I said forget it, and just use my bank in the USA

PSBank opened an account for me with using ID of Passport, ACR card and my overseas Bank Card, and got the ATM card the same day ;)

No real evidence of accommodation needed.  I gave room number and property name/address. It's a condo block with daily and monthly rentals.

Update!  I reopened my BPI account last month and the new requirements for Americans are in force.  They required (in addition to Passport and ACR-I Card) my US SSN and asked for a TIN… I have a Phil TIN so it was seamless and the ATM card was ready in 2 days for in bank pickup. 

The manager told me they must report this electronically to the US Govn't each QTR or sooner.

Calif-Native wrote:

Update!  I reopened my BPI account last month and the new requirements for Americans are in force.  They required (in addition to Passport and ACR-I Card) my US SSN and asked for a TIN… I have a Phil TIN so it was seamless and the ATM card was ready in 2 days for in bank pickup. 

The manager told me they must report this electronically to the US Govn't each QTR or sooner.

That is interesting, so the answers on some things, like this, may be individual Nationality dependent in future.

ABCDiamond wrote:
Calif-Native wrote:

That is interesting, so the answers on some things, like this, may be individual Nationality dependent in future.

That is correct, in that ALL Americans (natural persons) must comply with the U.S. Global Disclosure Law called the "Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act" (FATCA) and as individuals a FBAR (on form, FinCEN Report 114) or married couples where the spouse must file form "FinCEN Report 114a" must be filed if the account is above a specified level. 

U.S. IRS also states, "FinCEN Notice 2014-1 extended the due date for filing FBARs by certain individuals with signature authority over, but no financial interest in, foreign financial accounts of their employer or a closely related entity, to June 30, 2016."

Any foreign bank providing an account to an American must now comply with FATCA (report account to US as new account regardless of amount) while the tax payer must comply with FBAR filings (Report account levels to US yearly).  FATCA also requires U.S. citizens with foreign financial assets in excess of $50,000 (higher for bona fide residents overseas – $200,000 for single filers and $400,000 for joint filers to report those assets every year.

A real interesting point to understand it that this new law is for American humans (natural persons), but American corporations  (Corporate Personhoods) have reduced requirements!  Compliance by other countries are handled by individual an "Intergovernmental Agreement" between the USA and each country.

Source:  http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Corporati … -Act-FATCA

Here is a 2013 article that may help with understanding some of the very complex rules and related history/issues: http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/09/16/ … anks/?_r=0