Not listed in the brochure?!

What are the top 5 things you WISH you would had known before moving to the DR?

1.   How great it was going to be
2.  Lack of customer service in EVERY consumer situation
3.  Amount of government corruption
4.  Lack of quality workmanship in many of the trades
5.  Lack of respect of human life

Bob K

Hey Bob, you copied my list about Brazil!!! That's not fair.  :lol:

Well, seriously it would almost appear that way. I guess all Latin-American countries are pretty much the same.

Did not realize you had a list.  Yet pretty much the same all over.

Would not trade it for a second.

Bob K

I agree with Bob but add:

1 I wish I learned Spanish at least the basics.
2 how hard it is to live in tourist area if you are NOT retired.

It is absolutely worth it.

I agree with the learn Spanish point.

Bob K

Thank you for the responses!  A few questions if you don't mind....
For Bob,
The government corruption...do you find it directly affects you or more in general like...elections and nepotism?

With the quality of workmanship, does that comment include construction? We were interested in building a house there.  If so, we'll be sure to try and get a builder through the referrals of others who had a good experience.

Lack of respect for human life??? OUCH!  Would you mind elaborating on that a bit?

For Planner,
When you say it's hard to be in a tourist area if you are not retired,  do you mean financially?

Corruption in the government effects everyone.  Taxes are wasted, infrastructure is not worked on, bribes for what ever needs to be done, police managing the drug trade and on and on and on.  You get used to it a develop a thick skin concerning it.  Sometimes something happens that actually goes in a positive direction

Construction is a big problem with workman ship and it is very important to get a well recommended contractor.  Also you need to watch them all the time.  We built our villa here and managed the entire project,meaning we watched everything that went on and in fact during the last three months of finish work I was on site every day all day.  The end product...we were very happy with out construction.  You cannot cut corners here nor allow your workers to do so either.

As to lack of respect for life. It seems that they can do so much so easily to increase safety here but ....No way.   Young men (and women to some extent) are slaughtered on the highways every day yet no laws are enforced and no safety issues are addressed.  The feeling is "my brother was killed in an accident...too bad".  It is also a bit of a macho society and femicide is a problem as well.

As to making it in a tourist area you can do it but it is more expensive to live in these areas. 

Hope this helps

Bob K

VERY much so!  Great information and we appreciate your candid view. The hubby and I are realists and like our information "right between the eyes"  !!  LOL

Yes DownTown, it's taken me a long time and still learning.  Reality is the best.  I would agree with all that has been said for my 2 cents worth on the 4 times I've been there for 2+ weeks each.  On the respect for life thing, I listened to a story about a young woman who was out just a little too far in the surf.  Not paying close attention to a small one, some undertow, gone in a moment.  For my soft heart, the way the story was told rather matter-of-fact is jarring.  Get on a motoconcho that hits an oil slick?  Don't expect Yellow Cab to pick up the medical bills.  You got on.

"Reality is always your friend.  Everything else is a fantasy."

Carlos

Sorry for my late response......   For me it was hard to live in the tourism area as i was no retired but worked for a living.  In those areas most jobs are also tourism related and thus hard to get to know  Dominicans who were not seeing you as a paycheck. I learned the hard way that it can be hard to be friends with expats as quite frankly many do not last that long here.  I have made some life long friends on the north coast.

It was harder to socialize as the retired crowd has a whole different perspective on life and time.  I was also single which made it a bit tougher. 

Living and working outside a tourism area it is easier to just be another person living and working here.  In the capital I am seen as an expat. In the tourism areas I was seen as a gringa.  In some ways a huge difference.

I think that after a period of time the "gringo" tag tends to get smaller and you are accepted as part of the 
community.   At least that is what we have found.

But not working does make a difference as we interct with the local communty in a different way

Bob  Ko