Seriously Considering Moving to Thailand..!

Hello, all! My father & I are considering moving to Thailand. We've lived just outside of New Orleans for our entire lives (my dad lived in Florida & California for a brief period, but other than that, he's been here his whole life, & so have I). After our rent & food & other basic necessities are paid for, we have little money left over. Seems that in Thailand, we can rent a much nicer place to live in & have a good bit of money left over. We are paying $850 per month for a two-bedroom apartment right now, & it's not exactly pristine, know what I mean? Chiang Mai looks awesome, I've been looking at the houses for rent. Seems that we can get something very nice for a little over half of what we are paying now..?! One thing that concerns me a bit is whether or not there will be a good bit of English-speakers there. Does anyone know what that situation is like in Chiang Mai? Any feedback would be great. I'm looking at Malaysia, too....also looks nice, & apparently there are plenty of people who speak English.

Both are good choices, but Id prefer Malaysia because almost everyone speaks english. but this is mainly kl. accomodation is cheaper in kl and infrastructure too is better. the party life is definitely better in thailand though :-)

How old are you and your father ?
This is for long term Visa / Extension to stay.

I think you father is +50 years ?
Then he can apply for Extension to stay base on retirement IF he have a monthly income of 65.000 baht or more, or can get 800.000 baht in a Thai bank account, or he can combine the 2.

If you under 50 years, You can´t do that, and need other way to stay here long time, There is a few option, Like Ed-Visa / Extension.

Remember to account for good health insurance / accident insurance. for you both.

Rent of house in Chiang mai is cheap, it is up to what you want and need, I have a friend living in CM a few years back (he now live 10 km outside CM) and he pay 5.500 baht pr month for a townhouse when he live in CM, close to everything, a real nice place, i am sure price have gone up a little since he live there as every where else.

Personal for me in CM as i be there a few times.
CM have some cold month every year, where it get to cold for me, because i have rheumatism and when to cold i get big pain.
Every year when the burn what every they burn, the city get smoke / bad pollution, I can see on other forum a a lot of people complain about it, never stay there my self when they burn.

CM is very English speaking friendly as it is a Big Tourist town, have a lot of Fa-Rang living there.

You write CM look awesome, have you and your father try to stay there for a longer period of time ??
If not, why not start with long time there to try it out, and see if you both like it ??

It is the best way to see if you like it, enjoy it, talk to others living there, go and check area out where you "plan" to live.
Check the area, do it have what you need, and so on.

Other then that, i know you have a good time here, it is a wonderful country, have some of the nice people you ever meet.

Kindly.

Firstly the weather in Chiang Mai is deemed some of the best in terms of a cooler climate in Thailand.

As for your English issues, I wouldn't worry too much, the level of English in CM is quite good compared to other parts of the country. Add to that CM has a large expat community so you're never far away from help.

Chiang Mai is a really lovely place and much nicer then Malaysia although there are some great places there too. I have an uncle who is retired in CM and he's really enjoying life there, am sure your old man will feel something similar given a little time.

Oops...

Ha, I mean Hey....
bon ta roulette......
I forgot how to say let the good times toll....
Lived a large part of my life in Naw Leans area loved Thibodaux, Fat city, Harvey and Gretna were ok too.... Use to be a oilfield Diver in any case I was stationed in this GREAT country during Vietnam era war, fell in love with it and finally have retired here. Been here in Chiang Mai since September of last year. I rent a 1 bedroom apartment, furnished, 42" flat screen TV, white marble floors and 2 bathrooms(?) for $272.00 a month, As mentioned earlier it is slightly cooler here last Dec and January it got down to mid 50's at night and mid 70's during the day. Now its upper 70's early nights to upper 90's in day
theres several options for visa's.....
retirement visa for 50 and above people....
education visa's...
Business visa....
Work visa.
If you speak English you'll have very little trouble here communicating with people in stores and such as most people have a smattering of English.
I've been in 23 countries so far and by far this is the friendliest country I have ever been to. learn a few words and a few customs here and you'll fit in. Theres plenty of forigners here (maybe too many.. haa) hmmmm......
I'm mk163rd (at) gmail . com...........
any more questions just feel free to ask!      :)
Mike

(moderated: no copy/paste on the forum pls)

Mike-Hi, I am Gary, age 66 looking into moving to Thailand, looking for good place to live..
responding to ads, and getting information..deciding where to live--if is areas where
expatriates gather..
I am retired substance abuse counselor, dont smoke, drink, use drugsexercise regular..
so need a local gym to join, as well as local AA meetings to attend..
and if okay to ride bicycle..
love to know your experience..
[email protected]

gary

Guess I could say a lot but a lot depends on what you want.
Any major city here will have a lot of expats. By yank standards it's very cheap to buy or rent. I chose the north simply cause its slightly (very slightly) cooler here. been in Chiang Mai since Sept of last but was a soldier for 28 months in Sattahip ( 30 miles south of Pattaya). Pattaya is swarming with foreigners so I didn't move there and next to Bangkok and Phuket its the most expensive. (I remember it as a quite lil thai village with 2 1/2 miles of pristine beach.... ah well, more like Miami beach now). As for Gyms I believe there all over the place. As to AA places no help to ya might try a web search though. I had have same problem manage to control itch on my own pretty well..... sometimes sinful on week ends though.... think about what you want... then decide most Thai's speak at least some English though and there the worlds friendliest people. Learn a few phrases and some customs and words and they'll love ya!
Ha, any more and just write back.....
mike

I think that you and your father better come and tour the country before you make such a decision. You do not appear to have done much research about living in Thailand. Many things here are as expensive in the west and automobiles are also more costly.

Most Thai people do not "speak some English"   this from an English educator, with 40 years experience with Thailand...

Lots of local AA meetings .. check website www.aathailand.org for times and places ..

Good luck guys.

Hi Mike--Tell me more about Chiang Mai  where you live--the apartment you live in? have a/c? wifi? furnished? how much is rent? utilities? You can put me in touch with websites or emails of people who run apartments. I need to be on ground level-50% disabled--ankle-knee weak. Also i love to ride bike--is this ok in that area? So there are good gyms there you say? Are there websites for these gyms?

You mention different visas. Which kind do you use?
How long is a tourist visa last for? How does one get a retirement visa?
[email protected]

Gary

A small point, but I'll make it anyway.

In the 'Cool Season' Chiang Mai, is quite cool at night; and usually in the 80's-90's in the daytime. Perfect!

However, March and April, the average temperatures are HOTTER in Chiang Mai than Bangkok.

~~~
March and April are the 'burning season', with absolutely terrible air-quality!

With that note, if you or your family have any health problems, such as emphysema or asthma, I would consider taking a trip out of town during  this period.

jon
9-years in Chiang Mai

gwirfs wrote:

Also i love to ride bike--is this ok in that area?

byke riding is definitely not ok in all of Thailand....unless you want to put a quick end to your sufferings.

Thailand is not cheap the prices are rising daily, and if you want a girlfriend that is going to cost you.

Thailand is not cheap the prices are rising daily, and if you want a girlfriend that is going to cost you.

Hi,
I lived in Chiang Mai for 9 months.  I planned to retire there but decided it wasn't for me.  Like you I thought it would be a lot cheaper living than in Canada.  it depends on how you want to live.  You can get a nice house for about $500 month but it will probably have an outside kitchen and it will be different to what you are used to.  I ended up spending $650 month because I couldn't get used to it.  My place for $650 was very nice.  Apartments seem to be more expensive so in a nice building I would expect to pay $700 - $800 per month.  The prices really have skyrocketed in the last 10 years.  Food is very, very cheap if you eat Thai.  A decent meal is about $2.00.  A nice restaurant about $8-10.  Beef is very bad unless you buy the imported and then it's a lot more expensive than home.  Chicken extremely cheap.  The other posts were right about the burning.  Last year when I was there it lasted about 3 months.  It really was awful.  But when it ended the weather was incredible!  I loved the winter, warm days but very cold nights.  Great for sleeping.  Chiang Mai is a great city.  Lots to do and lots of expats.  Very clean.  The people are very welcoming and friendly.  I never had a problem communicating.  You can also buy any thing you need as the shopping malls are very big and modern.  The previous comments about the cost of a car is also true.  They are very expensive by Canadian standards.  You can rent a little 125cc for about $200 per month but be careful as the Thais are the craziest drivers I have ever seen!  I had 2 accidents when I lived there and then finally bought a car.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.  I'm happy to try and help you out.

I just read the previous post.  I can't stress this enough.  Beware of the women!  They are beautiful, charming, demure and will empty your bank account before you have a chance to blink.  I heard so many sad stories of this while I lived there.  I don't blame them, they are just opportunistic.  Having said that, I did meet some married couples, farang with Thai wife who seemed very happy.  This country is well known for this and it really is a business for many of these young girls.  They get pregnant quickly and then you are hooked.  You will then be rsponsible to support the whole family.  When the money is gone, so are they.

English is spoken there, but not everyone speaks it , you should not have a problem there. There are very nice people there that can help you. That was our concern when we went there for the first time, but we were convinced that we can do good there, that's why we ended up buying a house there and planing to move there soon. You will find very nice places to rent at very good prices apartments , town homes , condos, and houses .. Have you ever been there ? Once you see Chiang Mai you will be hooked , just like us. We went for the very first time (in Thailand) last October and on the 3rd day there we bought a house, and yes we did do a lot of research so we know we're we wanted to retire . Is your dad going  to retire , age 50 or are you guys going to try to work ? Good luck ! Ted

well thanks to all of you for reporting your experiences living in Thailand. I have read experiences on both sides of the road--very good, very bad--and in between.
Question--my first visit i plan on 90 day non immigrant visa, then renew for 90 more while there. Must i bring a return plane ticket to get in?
Yes i have read much about the sex trade. From gay to hetero to bi---i have spoken to men from USA, Sweden and France. The different places where sex trade--bar girls, street girls, massage girls. I am in bed by 9 pm, so don't do any night life. I have been warned, and like getting contacts with people living there a while--to report.
[email protected]

Gary

I have the same question as Gary.  I plan on getting a 60 day tourist visa and once there (Chiang Mai), applying for an O-A retirement visa.  I don't want to buy a round trip ticket from the states as I'll be staying there permanently.  Any answers or suggestions would be appreciated....

Rob

Hewmundi wrote:

I have the same question as Gary.  I plan on getting a 60 day tourist visa and once there (Chiang Mai), applying for an O-A retirement visa.  I don't want to buy a round trip ticket from the states as I'll be staying there permanently.  Any answers or suggestions would be appreciated....

Rob

If you are worried about the ticket price then just buy an onward flight ticket to say Laos and not back to USA. Can fly from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang cheap.

Hi Gary,
This is to reply to your message to me, but I'd like to say here as it may be useful for others, too. You asked about my opinion about Thai ladies catching expat men for money. Yes, it's worth listening to those warnings over the internet. I think you should be careful and aware that it happens albeit not for all. It's upon how you know and where you know those girls, isn't it? If you want to know a girl in no time, you go to a bar, you get a quick relation. What do you expect from it? One thing that you need to know is most Thai women are grateful to their families. Some expats may also have to take care all members of her family, not only her. So if you want to be really happy, just stay single. That's my opinion, an opinion from a Thai lady.

Are you a  Thai Lady? Wow--i did not know this. Thank you for your recommendations, based on your knowledge. I appreciate it--as i am coming blind. I will tell you this--i have been married 3 times---and marriage has not worked for me--so from now till i stop breathing, i will have a female companion--friend with benefits--where we each have our own separate lives, and then we join to spend time with the other--doing things we both enjoy. I stopped drinking 27 years ago, so i have no interest in going to bars, or any night life of any kind. I did send introduction message to friend of yours--have not gotten response yet. I see in your profile here you plan to move to USA. When you plan to go?
Gary

Hi everybody,

As far as i know, this topic does not concern thai ladies.

So can we please go back to the initial subject of this topic?

Thank you all

Priscilla  :cheers:

Priscilla, you are great! Thank you...

You're all over this blog. What's your story?

Hewmundi wrote:

You're all over this blog. What's your story?

she is an admin

Thanks.

I thought she was too pretty.

LOTS of people who speak English. Of course, you should learn Thai also. You will love it here.

Cheers

Virginia :)