Pregnant wife 17 weeks moving to Spain ? What to do?

Hello

So I am moving to Spain in the next week and my wife will follow 4 weeks later with my two children.

She is currently 17 weeks pregnant and can't seem to get health insurance for maternity care until 10 or 12 months after starting life in Spain.

Her dr told her today she should be ok and would write her a letter to provide anti natal history... I will be working in GIB but living in Spain. She won't be working... What's the best pay to go about this? Would a EU health card help us in any way? Can anyone recommend a health insurance company? Would the HHS support us in some way?

Hi Mrupnorth,

I suggest you to read the following articles which might surely be of great help:

Register for free health care in Spain and get your Health Card

Health care in Spain

Regards,

David.

Good information indeed from David. During the first two years of her stay in Spain your wife can also remain insured under the UK system, via the European Health Insurance Card. More information on this can be found here:
europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/health/unplanned-healthcare/going-to-hospital-abroad/index_en.htm
europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/health/unplanned-healthcare/temporary-stays/index_en.htm
And, specifically for Spain:
ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=1021&langId=en&intPageId=1754
Good luck!