How is the climate there and the cost of a studio

Hi Friends

I plan to visit Manila for a month and see how to plan my set up. Which would be the best month of the year climate wise and how much would a 1 room studio apt cost me for a month in Makati.

Thanks
Terence

Hi Terence,

I created a new thread with your question on the Manila forum, to give it more visibility and to help you to receive more specific answers from the members.

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Cheers!!
LP
I

Hi Pricilla,

My post was on the same topic as to open a branch office in Manila. For that I wanted to visit Manila for a month and was asking advise as to the best month to visit climate wise and the cost for renting a apt for a month.

Thanks
Terence

Hello Terence,

The best month for me to stay in Manila is during January or even February. It's not hot during these months and you can travel anywhere in the city much easier. Talking about apartment to stay, it will depend on your needs and location. My aunt has a two-storey townhouse for lease which cost around $190 a month but located in Las Piñas which is a bit far from the other cities of the metro. There's a lot of apartments, studio units for lease here and you can probably check some ads here as well. Good luck!

Makati is expensive you're probably be paying 30,000 P or more for a decent furnished place. if I were you I would try Mandaluyong city. A little bit cheaper and less traffic. and be careful with your security deposit Filipino usually don't like to give it back. They like to come up with an excuse not to return your security deposit when you leave. good luck

alzayas wrote:

Makati is expensive you're probably be paying 30,000 P or more for a decent furnished place. if I were you I would try Mandaluyong city. A little bit cheaper and less traffic. and be careful with your security deposit Filipino usually don't like to give it back. They like to come up with an excuse not to return your security deposit when you leave. good luck

About security deposits, most landlords do give them back.  The purpose of a security deposit is for paying for damage or loss of furniture, appliances, household items, unpaid utility bills, etc. 

Tell potential landlords that you'll just be staying in the Philippines for a month and would like to get back the security deposit before you leave. Agree that you'll both do an inspection before you leave to figure out the amount for loss or damage on the spot, if any.  Utility bills are a bit tricky.  If you haven't received the electric bill, maybe just leave 10-15k or more depending on how much you use your aircon, and ask him / her if he could leave the change, if any, to a contact in the Philippines.  It would be great if the unit has a sub-meter, so you can compute more or less the electric bill.

Be personable with the landlord.  Filipinos like flattery.  Tell him how much you liked your stay (or if your stay was so-so, still say some positive things about the place, such as location, cleanliness, etc), and that you'll go back there again on your next visit (even though you might not) so he'll be more inclined to give you back your change.

Which would be the best month of the year climate wise? ... January/ February...the heat is milder, less humid and it rains the least in these months too.

landlords are supposed to give you the security back but that doesn't mean they going to do that. I stayed at studio condominium at the Fort in Taguig. My last month here they came up with a 15,000 P ( $ 333 USA ) power bill.. They knew I did not have time to check the bill because I had a flight to catch and I keep hearing stories from foreigners they have experience similar problems. just be careful

I would like to go to Manila but stay year round without leaving.  Are most of the apartments 1 year leases?  Are the contracts in English?   Seems like a great city to make new friends.

You can get a lease for 3 month to 12 months and probably more. The longer the lease the cheaper is the rent. for example a place that's going for 20,000 pesos for a 6 months lease if you sign a 12 month lease you can get it for probably 18,000 peso per month . And yes contracts are in English..  At the beginning I would advise you to get a place month to month until you find the right area you like to live.. and most places require you to give them post dated checks for the months you are leasing for so you have to open a checking account. (post dated checks for rent is illegal but they still require you to give them the post dated check because they know that you do not know that the practice is illegal)  and banks do not allow you to open a checking account or dollar account until 6 months after you have open a peso account...and to open up the accounts you need a card ( $50 )  from immigration which immigration won't give you until 3 months after you been in the country. I hope I was helpful if you have anymore questions let me know.

Yes very helpful.  Many rules that I will have to learn.  Maybe it would be better for me to rent a room from someone at first until I get all that set up.

Thanks!

I would not rent a room from someone ... not safe !, remember you going to be living in a place where the average worker makes $ 250 per month. computers , cameras and cell phones it takes them 2 to 3 months just buy one . Just find a hotel and rent from them there's plenty of places you can rent month to month.. don't trust any Filipinos when they're being nice to you it's just a cover.. at the end there going to fuck you over.. specially taxi