Landlines in Kuwait

Hello Everyone :)

a question; how do you go about getting a landline in Kuwait? I checked the MOC's website (useless), has anyone had the process done? I'm hearing some really strange numbers as deposits (like security) ranging from 120-500KD.

any info would be highly appreciated

my number is pre gulf war. dont know how people get it today.this cost thing is new.

yes same here, that is why we are asking for anyone that had the process done "recently" and can share some insight on it :D

I don't know about expats but a couple of years ago I went with my husband (Kuwaiti) to get a phone line. We went to the one in the airport first, had to pay some money (100 KD ?) he might of had the rent contract with him. We lived in Abu Halaifa at the time, we had to go to the Ministry location (ghetto place in Mangaf) show them the paper from the airport location, wait for the females to finish their breakfast, wait for them to get off of their phones, then he chose a phone number and it was connected a few days later.

:par: thank you Kuwait411!

yes I figured it would entail a bit of manual work, unlike the payment of the amount which is all online.

so im guessing I'll be paying a visit to the telecom building soon. fortunately it's close to home, but not close enough that I would fear radiation.

My info is from 4 or 5  years.

Went to telecom office. Gave them a copy of the rent contract and civil Id. Paid 45 for a year subscription. 30 KD for installation. A few days later the phone was ringing.

Be advised that it differs by area. I heard Salwa takes the longest, then Salmiya or something. Also, some areas have the advantage of fiber like South Surra. The best thing about land line with fiber is the speed of internet.

Good luck

Ok so here is hwat u need to do:

take a copy of your Civil ID and rent agreement, go to the central.

they will ask u to give them the DB number, which ofcourse you will not know, and you will call the hares who will be asleep and mumble incoherently at u, what u need is a number from the building, if there is a shop attached to it you are in luck, just note that down, or ask the hares for the number of a neighbor.

u take this info to the people there, no queues and they are open from 8am, and u give it to them.

they call u in a week and say come and pay.,

you pay 65KD, 30KD installation charges, 5KD other charges, and 30 KD subscription.

presto, done.

they give u the number of your plug at the DB box, and u ask the hares to get an electrician and link your apartment to that plug.

final update: the landline is up and running!

the act of "plugging in" is extremely complex, and a professional has to do it. any electrician can do so, if you live in Hawally and need one, do let me know and i'll provide his number (it costs 5KD - money well earned if u see the amount of work required).

as of yesterday evening, we are officially on the grid :D