Visiting Bangkok. Where to stay?

Hello,
I will be visiting Bangkok for 2-3 days in the beginning of June. Will spend my time going to the touristy places, and chilling in a bar or cafe at night. (if anybody is interested in joining me in any of the activities, you are more than welcome)
What area would you recommend to stay in? Something close to the subway or skytrain would be best I guess.

From what information I gathered online, these are the most popular areas: Sukhumvit, Silom, Riverside, Banglamphu(Khao San Road).

Thanks.

Sukhumvit, Silom, Charan Krung are all fine and close to sky train or under ground stations, try to stay away from Banglampoo or Khaosan, a lot of protests are going around these areas.

Thanks for the prompt reply.
People recommended Banglamphu because of it's the old town, but if you say it might not be safe now, it would be best not to choose a hotel in that area.
From the other options, is there one that stands out? Being an expat myself, and after doing quite a bit of traveling around SE Asia, I know touristy places aren't always the best choice to get the feel of the place. Locals or local expats usually have different opinions on what is must-see in their town compared to tourism-websites.

As of today the Thai Army declared martial law, things will change rapidly, its very much possible that when you arrive here all the protest sites will be gone, if so, then Banglampoo can be an ideal place to stay, its very close to almost all tourist attractions here in Bangkok.

[Moderated: no copy/paste on the forum pls]